• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vacationing in Nags Head

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I am vacationing in Nags Head this summer, and will be staying on Manteo island. I was curious if there was any local ordinances I should be aware of or any state law I need to know about? I'm not familiar with your laws or pre-emption, however I have been studying handgunlaw.us. Any help will be appreciated.

attrapereves

I've had great luck with OC in the OBX. I've never gotten any weird looks and didn't find any place that banned carry. However, you must be aware that portions of the OBX are considered game lands. I believe CC and OC is banned in those areas. Someone will probably chime in with the locations of those areas and the laws regarding carry.

BTW, I was just in Ashland, KY a few weeks ago. Nice area... I stopped there for the night on my way back from my long drive to Missouri.

dmatting

New laws that went into effect last year and the policies that were ammended by the NCWRC because of those changes allow open carry (or CC if you have a permit) on state owned gamelands. Privately owned gamelands may have restrictions and those areas are listed on the ncwrc.org website (do a search for 'handgun'). There are carry restriction at boating and fishing access areas - CC only.

You may open carry in any national park. If you are in a state park, though, you are limited to concealed carry with a permit. If you have a permit from your state, NC honors it.

Otherwise, carry on. Just look for any gunbuster signs and you can't carry in an establishment where alcohol is both sold and consumed.

Have fun!

Carry24/7

I spent 30 days there last year for work. Spoke to a Capt with the sheriffs office about open carry. He said, Yeah It's legal until someone complains and then you can't open carry anymore. LOL Not sure where he got that from. The locals are some of the best folks I've ever dealt with. Just watch out for the State LEO'S. Them boys give no breaks.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Thanks for all the info. If I'm coming from Manteo, and into Nags Head, if I go right like I'm going towards hatteras lighthouse, is that the game preserve you speak of? I haven't been in so long I have forgot route numbers. My uncle used to be the executive of the lost colony, so I used to visit all the time, but haven't done so since my kids came along. He told me that you could no longer drive on the beach up towards hatteras, is this true? Thanks again for all the info, and I do plan on carrying concealed for the majority of the trip, wouldn't want to get a gattop charge. (Do they really charge people with such an unconstitutional charge?) could you tell me where I can find the statutes for carrying on the nature/animal preserves? Thanks again!

dmatting

Thanks for all the info. If I'm coming from Manteo, and into Nags Head, if I go right like I'm going towards hatteras lighthouse, is that the game preserve you speak of? I haven't been in so long I have forgot route numbers. My uncle used to be the executive of the lost colony, so I used to visit all the time, but haven't done so since my kids came along. He told me that you could no longer drive on the beach up towards hatteras, is this true? Thanks again for all the info, and I do plan on carrying concealed for the majority of the trip, wouldn't want to get a gattop charge. (Do they really charge people with such an unconstitutional charge?) could you tell me where I can find the statutes for carrying on the nature/animal preserves? Thanks again!

This is for gamelands carry:
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/Regulations/FireArmsandConcealedCarry.aspx

Interactive NC Gameland maps:
http://216.27.39.120/mapbook/

NC Felonies and Misdemeanors:
For carry related restrictions, look up:
14-269, 14-277, 14-415
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=14

Download and read the NC OC flyer:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9SbdmEOcqRTMFJYcWV6eEtSZlNOTUkwUkpIb1Fkdw/edit