• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in park ban overturned in Wake Forest

condeist

I spoke with the guy who heads up the parks and rec dept. for the town of Wake Forest yesterday. I asked him if the town had reevaluated their ban on carrying in parks since the new 12/1/11 gun law, and he responded that they had. He said they were in full compliance with the state law and you could conceal in parks if you had a permit. I asked him about the parks that also have recreational facilities (due to the mention of them in the law) and he said to make things simple the town is just going to allow guns in all the parks so there is no confusion about being able to carry in some and not in others. I also asked him about open carry since he only mentioned concealed. He was unsure and instructed me to ask the Chief of Police, which I did. The chief confirmed both concealed and open carry are now allowed in town parks. So yesterday after work I took my dog to the local dog park OC'ing to exercise my newly restored right.

So if youre in the area, feel free to enjoy our parks while being able to protect yourself and your family at the same time.

bc.cruiser

WF gets a big thumbs up for this. Write, and thank them.:D

Note: At the town council meeting of Oct 18, 2011, Parks and Recreation presented a recommendation AGAINST firearms in the parks (including picnic shelters and dog park); after a lot of discussion and some words from the Police Chief (pro 2A), the council decided not to do anything at all other than let the new state law rule.
The discussion can be viewed as a video on WF town council site.
The code of ordinances does not yet reflect this; it still shows firearms are banned in the parks.

Interesting: In case the mayor declares an emergency, CHP holders can still CC off their own property.

Last edited:

condeist

WF gets a big thumbs up for this. Write, and thank them.:D

Note: At the town council meeting of Oct 18, 2011, Parks and Recreation presented a recommendation AGAINST firearms in the parks (including picnic shelters and dog park); after a lot of discussion and some words from the Police Chief (pro 2A), the council decided not to do anything at all other than let the new state law rule.
The discussion can be viewed as a video on WF town concil site.
The code of ordinances does not yet reflect this; it still shows firearms are banned in the parks.

Interesting: In case the mayor declares an emergency, CHP holders can still CC off their own property.

Thanks for the additional info bc!

bc.cruiser

Im not totally sure,but, isnt the new park carry law for cc only? someone fell free to chime in. From what I read it is only legal to cc.

You are absolutely correct. HB 650 only addressed the allowance/ban of CC in municpal parks. A municipality is, however, able to formulate restrictive ordinances about the display and carry of firearms in and on their own property. The state simply pre-empted regulating some of the CC rules and regulations. Previously, NO firearms were allowed in WF parks per ordinance 22-7. During the WF council meeting, they decided not to take advantage of the exceptions allowed by HB650. If you listen to the discussion, they do not truly understand their own ordinance, and believe that OC is legal. I'm not going to argue with them; after even the Chief of Police is okay with it.:lol:

Here's the link to the video of the council discussion: http://wake-forest.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=3&clip_id=370

Link to WF 22-7: http://library1.municode.com:80/def...a0596ca74b5a742811b4887a28a5cd&infobase=10068

Last edited: