• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA: Protecting your right to protect yourself

1911 Enthusiast

I finished reading the Apr 2012 issue of American Rifleman today and noted that Chris Cox's (NRA-ILA Executive Director) multi-page Castle Doctrine article said in part:

"Currently, the NRA is working to enact Castle Doctrine legislation in Iowa and Virginia, and for improvements to existing Castle Doctrine laws in Alaska, Nebraska and Washington. Just as we work toward the day when all states allow all good citizens of age to carry firearms for protection, we will work until all states fully protect the right of law-abiding people to use force in defense of themselves and one another, without fear of prison or bankruptcy. Decent people have a right to nothing less."

Bolding mine.

I'm hoping someone in a leadership position at VCDL is planning on penning a reader letter ("Readers Write") to set the record straight on why this year's NRA-backed proposals didn't pass muster and would have been a huge step backward for Virginians. Only a letter from the VCDL President or an ED has a prayer's chance of being published. I trust the opportunity will be seized.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I just read somewhere that the NRA supported the legislation that the Hughes Amendment was tacked on. That's 3 strikes for the NRA with me.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I finished reading the Apr 2012 issue of American Rifleman today and noted that Chris Cox's (NRA-ILA Executive Director) multi-page Castle Doctrine article said in part:

Bolding mine.

I'm hoping someone in a leadership position at VCDL is planning on penning a reader letter ("Readers Write") to set the record straight on why this year's NRA-backed proposals didn't pass muster and would have been a huge step backward for Virginians. Only a letter from the VCDL President or an ED has a prayer's chance of being published. I trust the opportunity will be seized.

Think back. Have you EVER seen the NRA print a letter that is even vaguely critical of their position? I'll wait.

I thought not.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

The NRA seldom (never?) publishes letters opposed to their agenda/goals no matter from whom they are received.

VCDL's decision to oppose the Castle Doctrine bills before the GA this year was presented publicly and reported by numerous media outlets where VCDL president, Philip Van Cleave was quoted. This was also included in Va-Alert over PVC's signature.

Bob1

Congratulations ED! I missed your appointment to VCDL Leadership:eek: or do you mean an EM?:monkey

I don't know what an EM is but I'd suspect the OP was referring to the Executive Directors or the BoD as I guess they are known by...you know, Fenter, Jackson, O'Conner, etc.

Agree w/Tess though, would have to be well crafted and lay out the cold facts w/o specifically challenging the NRA position to avoid disappearing into the circular file. That crowd has thin skin about ideas which don't originate in the Fairfax Hqs but I agree someone should try to get our position published for the tens of thousands of readers throughout the country who don't follow the forums nor, for that matter, even have a clue what VCDL is.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't know what an EM is but I'd suspect the OP was referring to the Executive Directors or the BoD as I guess they are known by...you know, Fenter, Jackson, O'Conner, etc.

Like many things Bob, it was a private joke only a handful of people understand:lol:
(Not really important but Ed is an EM as is Tess and 60 or 70 others)

A letter is fine but has no chance of being published. Unfortunately, the NRA is rapidly becoming the enemy of most gun owners.
The letter will be seen by more if a CC is published in he Alerts. This is not a new problem and VCDL has had to respond to the NRA's tactics before.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

EM = Executive Member of VCDL. Executive members have voting privileges on matters requiring such a vote.

The Directors (BoD) are EMs that have been selected to lead VCDL and to collectively make day to day decisions.
There are 7 members of the BoD - those plus the Treasurer compromise "leadership".

There is no "Executive Director" designation.

Philip Van Cleave is our president and the only person authorized to speak for VCDL.

Hope this helps.

Thundar

I have about had it with the Negotiate Rights Away behemouth.

Next time the NRA Bozos screw with gun rights in Virginia, I will start an open carry picket in front of NRA headquarters. Hand out SAF and VGOF pamphlets as well.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The NRA is going out on a limb on this one:monkey

[video=vimeo;39207612]http://vimeo.com/39207612[/video]

user

Accomplished Advocate
I've pretty much come to a similar conclusion. I'm an NRA certified instructor, as well as a member, but I'm going to let all that expire. I've become convinced that the NRA has become worse than irrelevant. And it is my opinion that the people working in the ILA are just not smart enough to deal with real legal issues. Or maybe they're just bureaucrats who, while smart enough, are not diligent enough, or not intellectually honest enough, or something. For whatever reason, they're worse than ineffective, they've demonstrated pretty conclusively that they are a threat to the citizens' right of personal defense. I'm not going to be supporting them in the future, and I'm not going to any more "Friends" dinners.

Marco

NRA: Protecting your right to protect yourself......

NRA Protecting your right to protect yourself
They can claim this, as Wayne LaPierre joined VCDL.
Imho, he did this so the NRA can claim they are protecting and are working to advance 2A rights here in VA, they just aren't going to be up front about who's really doing the work... Clue not NRA members.

Snip~ I've become convinced that the NRA has become worse than irrelevant. And it is my opinion that the people working in the ILA are just not smart enough to deal with real legal issues. Or maybe they're just bureaucrats who, while smart enough, are not diligent enough, or not intellectually honest enough, or something. For whatever reason, they're worse than ineffective, they've demonstrated pretty conclusively that they are a threat to the citizens' right of personal defense. I'm not going to be supporting them in the future, and I'm not going to any more "Friends" dinners.

1+

We also have NRA instructors here in VA that are dumb founded by 18.2-308 and 15.2-915, I debated one on VAGT and tried to educate another at the Fisherville GS.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Hey, I've got an idea... Why not change the NRA? It's been done before.
When and by whom, please? Specify the membership cost and status prerequisite to NRA enfranchisement.

ManInBlack

The NRA? <yawn> "What have you done for me lately?"

All of the true, 2A activism (not merely "let's lobby legislators to make things easier for those who kiss the State's ring for a permit") I have seen in recent years has come from grassroots groups. The NRA is also closely-tied to the mainstream establishment of the Republican party, which is another group of people deserving of public scorn. Have you noticed all the "OBAMA IS GOING TO BAN GUNS IN 2ND TERM!!!" scare propaganda the NRA has put out recently in an attempt to help Mitt "Gun Grabbin' and Flip Floppin' Romney?

ManInBlack

It's not at all different than changing the Republican Party through elections.

Yeah, because that's working so well...I mean, true conservatives like Mitt Romney, Chris Christie, and all the other neo-con stars pushed by Limbaugh, Hannity, and other longtime opinion-makers are so much different than what we've had for years...

/sarcasm

ManInBlack

I hear ya, so what's the solution?

Idealistically: create alternative organizations and educate the public on why the original organization is no longer effective or relevant.

Realistically: Stock up on God, guns, and groceries, wait for the system to collapse under its own weight, enjoy the fireworks, try not to get killed.

TFred

Does anyone besides the NRA offer any instructor certification?

As much dissent as there is to the NRA, if they have no competitor in that area of the business, there would seem to be an opportunity.

TFred

ManInBlack

Does anyone besides the NRA offer any instructor certification?

As much dissent as there is to the NRA, if they have no competitor in that area of the business, there would seem to be an opportunity.

TFred

Why offer instructor certification? Most of the market for instructors is the result of unconstitutional requirements to get government-approved training to get a government permission slip to exercise the 2A.

I see this as part of the problem: the NRA has a vested interest in the "mother may I?" system.

There are plenty of businesses that offer training to citizens who desire to pay for it, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, offering certification to those who participate in an unconstitutional permit system is not something I want my 2A advocacy organization involved in.