• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trying to organize an OC BBQ...

papaj77

Hey folks. I live in a small town in Eastern North Carolina. I was born and raised here and now I'm currently raising my family here. Growing up, it was the kind of place where people left their doors unlocked when they left the house. As a matter of fact, some people found it offensive if you locked your doors! They thought that meant you didn't trust your neighbors or the other people in your community. It was a great little town. It still is, but it's not like it use to be. Being out in the "boonies", there isn't any law enforcement and the bad men have figured that out. Every few months, a new string of break-ins and thefts get reported. This has been going on since I moved back here after leaving the Army. One of the elderly ladies in the community even woke up to a gun in her face on one occasion. I'm fed up and so are quite a few of the other folks in the community. So... I'm trying to get some things going and one of those things is an OC BBQ to kind of get folks together and start the ball rolling on taking our community back. Obviously it will take more than a bunch of folks filling up on pork while "strapped" to put things in order around here, but I'm hoping this will get the momentum going. Was hoping anyone with experience putting these things together could give me some pointers, like some do's and don't's of OC get-togethers. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

nobama

Hey folks. I live in a small town in Eastern North Carolina. I was born and raised here and now I'm currently raising my family here. Growing up, it was the kind of place where people left their doors unlocked when they left the house. As a matter of fact, some people found it offensive if you locked your doors! They thought that meant you didn't trust your neighbors or the other people in your community. It was a great little town. It still is, but it's not like it use to be. Being out in the "boonies", there isn't any law enforcement and the bad men have figured that out. Every few months, a new string of break-ins and thefts get reported. This has been going on since I moved back here after leaving the Army. One of the elderly ladies in the community even woke up to a gun in her face on one occasion. I'm fed up and so are quite a few of the other folks in the community. So... I'm trying to get some things going and one of those things is an OC BBQ to kind of get folks together and start the ball rolling on taking our community back. Obviously it will take more than a bunch of folks filling up on pork while "strapped" to put things in order around here, but I'm hoping this will get the momentum going. Was hoping anyone with experience putting these things together could give me some pointers, like some do's and don't's of OC get-togethers. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What town is it? I love BBQ! and I love freedom (oc).

Gilly

My friend lives in Eureka (he's a pro-gun guy too) and I live about 25 minutes southeast of you. If you have a get-together I'm there.

papaj77

Thanks for the interest. We're still working out the particulars on the BBQ (we want this thing to go off without a hitch!). We're trying to drum up interest in RESPONSIBLE gun ownership. With the recent situation down in Florida, it's important for folks to realize that their local gun owners are making an effort to ensure proper handling and use of firearms. We need our community's support if we want to keep the anti-gun crowd at bay. And I'm sure our rights are going to come under attack once again after this media circus has had it's way. Anyway, we're trying to get a lot more than BBQ's going own, but I think this will be a good way to get everyone together and get the ball rolling. I'll keep you posted on the developments for the BBQ. Thanks again y'all.

papaj77

OK y'all. Thanks for the interest. I'm getting some flyers printed up to get the word out. Hopefully that will help to drum up some interest. A few of the locals are on board, but not as many as I thought. I think I need to do a better job getting the word out. Thought word of mouth would get it done, but apparently not. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks again.

Seraf

I live in Utah, but I'll be in the Raleigh area for about 3 weeks this April for work. Where/when are you planning the BBQ? I'd love to meet some east-coast 2A advocates.

ncwabbit

seraf, hollar (pm) while you are here and lets say hello over coffee/chai or meet for a good hamburger at 5 guys...best on this side of the coast (in-out being the best IMHO).

wabbit

PrestonW

I'm just down the road a little ways, but wouldn't mind trying to show up if given enough advanced notice.