• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Burrowing a pistol to a relative to OC together with me?

Hevymetal

Question for those that are more knowledgable then I. I took my 20 year old stepson for his NRA CPL course today. He will be applying for his CPL permit in July when he turns 21 but wanted to get the course done ASAP beforehand. He passed and did a great job (I'm so proud of him :)).

He wants to open carry with me when we go out walking, shopping etc. He does not own a gun yet and wants to burrow one of mine while we are out together until he can purchase on from a dealer when he turns 21.

If he had his CPL I know it would be a non-issue to let him use one of my pistols with or without me being around. Since he does not have one yet is it still legal to let him use one of mine while he is in my prescense. I realize I would have to take control of said weapon BEFORE entering a vehicle and would have to give it to him outside of the vehicle so he would not be in violation of any laws.

At 20 he can legally OC a pistol he purchased from a non-dealer, but would he or I be in any trouble for me allowing him to carry one of my pistols since it is registered in my name? I wouldn't let him borrow it without actually being with him. I am unsure if it is a violation of any law since he is a relative and I am with him.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I do believe it is still illegal to "burrow" a pistol to a non-cpl holder. However I am unsure if this is still true if you are with the burrower and you are related to him and this pistol is registered to you?

Also does it matter what the relation is wife, son, stepson, mother or cousin?

Thanks
Hevy

Hevymetal

If you don't have a CPL you can only lawfully OC a Pistol owned (read: Registered) to you.

Ok thank you very much that clears that up.

My wife who was also supposed to attend the CPL class today but couldn't due to being sick is going "awww you mean I have to wait to OC too." hehe

"Yes dear, feel better so you can take the darn class next weekend and we can get you your CPL."

maustin195

He can't open carry a pistol not owned by him. You could have him get a PP then give him a gun of yours until he is 21. At that time he could give it back and buy another if you wish. He could just buy one from a private seller with a PP and be done .

NHCGRPR45

Why wouldn't that be under the "direct supervision" rule. For instance when me and my daughter go to the pit or someplace similar she has her own holster for her sidearm and as long as I have direct LOS then I allow her to have it on her while doing the various things we do at the range. We observe all rules, and she and I both visually and tactile search the gun and chameber to ensure safety.

Bronson

Why wouldn't that be under the "direct supervision" rule.

Because for that to apply you have to be at a range or shooting facility. You can't just walk around with somebody else's gun if you don't have a CPL.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(zf...leg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-422

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first
having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

. . .

(12) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a pistol if all of
the following conditions apply:

(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol.

(b) The person is at a recognized target range or shooting facility.

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or
instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of
the pistol.

Bronson

Last edited:

michaelm_ski

Borrowing a firearm

If you want your son to carry with you get him a PP and sign it to him while in your company and when done lock it up in a safe or with a gun lock as you would do normally :D that way you can share the joy of open carry together and do it legally .