Thread: Grandpa's gun shop in madison

Grandpa's gun shop in madison

I was on my way back through downtown after the Elie's breakfast and saw grandpa's gun shop. I stopped and had a very peculiar interaction at the store. First there's a sign on the door that says to ring the bell if door was locked with a giant "yes we are open" sign. so i rang, then rang again. Finally the "Grandpa" of the store came to the door and let me in looking a bit POed. I asked if he had any .40 JHP and he looked in the tiny case and said no and then kinda starred off in the distance. I then asked "Do you have any pistols as I didn't see any displayed and your now the only gun shop in Madison that can sell them?" to which he replied with a very irritated expression on his face "Here's a card. I only sell used and I have about 250 used pistols at any given time. Go look online and then come back with exactly what you'd like." I asked "Do you know if you have a used compact Beretta px..." at which point he cut me off and repeated the online thing. I can't understand why a gunshop owner/operator would turn away business vs keeping a list of guns handy.. I looked online and there was a total of 30 handguns some new(which he said outright he didn't sell). IMO Either he is getting to old to deal with customers or he thought I was some ass hat trying to get him to display a gun to take from him. Possibly a bit "off" by the looks of his general demeanor..

Has anyone else had any experience with him?

here's the website: http://grampasgunshop.com/index.html
    and the hand gun area specifically: http://grampasgunshop.com/gunrequest...ategory=Pistol

Herr Heckler Koch
    LOL Grampa Larry Gleasman's a good man. He's got my number and, apparently, he's got your number too! HO Ho ho.

What do y'all imagine is the reason he's still in business when all the others are not, hmm?
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 03-25-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Maybe this will put it in perspective for you:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/loc...88d9f7346.html

"A brazen midday robbery at a Williamson Street gun shop Saturday netted 30 handguns and several other firearms — but most are of no use on the street, the store’s owner said.

Larry Gleasman, 70, owner of Grampa’s Gun Shop, 1374 Williamson St., said he suffered some scrapes and bruises but no serious injuries when two men forced their way into a side door of his residence adjacent to the shop, knocked him to the floor, dragged him to a bathroom and duct-taped his hands and legs."
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Herr Heckler Koch
    At lunch after Church, just now, an FFL neighbor explained that Larry Gleasman has found the perfect balance between BATFag demands for a brick storefront, security and expense. Thanks for the link URL to the story that was merely alluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post

"A brazen midday robbery at a Williamson Street gun shop Saturday netted 30 handguns and several other firearms — but most are of no use on the street, the store’s owner said.

Larry Gleasman, 70, owner of Grampa’s Gun Shop, 1374 Williamson St., said he suffered some scrapes and bruises but no serious injuries when two men forced their way into a side door of his residence adjacent to the shop, knocked him to the floor, dragged him to a bathroom and duct-taped his hands and legs."
    As much as that sucks to hear if your going to stay in business, I'd think being somewhat decent to customers would be a priority. I can understand being on edge after that but damn. I'm really surprised he lives so close to the shop and doesn't have better defenses set up(metal door/frame/etc so he at least had a chance to grab one of his weapons).

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post

He was goofy before that robbery.

Everybody I know that has been in there, including me, thinks the guy is a bit off.

Go somewhere else. There's dozens of FFLs in town, and lots of traffic on armslist.com (like Craigslist, only for guns) if you want used.
    "I can only be held responsible for my own stupidity." - Captain Nemo

Dozens? I thought he was the only one that snuck through after Madison started enforcing zoning regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    Dozens? I thought he was the only one that snuck through after Madison started enforcing zoning regulations?
    Egads. Ok. Dozens in the area. Auto Zone in Mt Horeb, Gander Mountain, The guy in Fitchburg, The guy in Oregon, the hardware store in Oregon, PT Shooting (?) Cross Plains, Thunder Shooting Milton, Deerfield gun shop (with the range) etc. That's just what I know off the top of my head.

http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/ffl-list.html Near the bottom. There appear to be 1600 FFLs in the State of Wisconsin at this time.

The point is, there are alternatives to farting around with a crazy old man. He'll waste more of your time than it would take to drive to one of the other places and deal with someone who wants to do business.

If the OP doesn't have a car. The Madison metro bus goes by Vortex Optics in Middleton. You'll probably have to take a cab back though.
    Last edited by RR_Broccoli; 03-28-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by RR_Broccoli View Post
    http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/ffl-list.html Near the bottom. There appear to be 1600 FFLs in the State of Wisconsin at this time.
    Thanks. I looked for that list the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by RR_Broccoli View Post
    Egads. Ok. Dozens in the area. Auto Zone in Mt Horeb, Gander Mountain, The guy in Fitchburg, The guy in Oregon, the hardware store in Oregon, PT Shooting (?) Cross Plains, Thunder Shooting Milton, Deerfield gun shop (with the range) etc. That's just what I know off the top of my head.

The point is, there are alternatives to farting around with a crazy old man. He'll waste more of your time than it would take to drive to one of the other places and deal with someone who wants to do business.

If the OP doesn't have a car. The Madison metro bus goes by Vortex Optics in Middleton. You'll probably have to take a cab back though.
    LOL so if your in "Madison" there's nearly no chance to open a shop with a FFL because of zoning yet all the little townships around it can. That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    LOL so if your in "Madison" there's nearly no chance to open a shop with a FFL because of zoning yet all the little townships around it can. That's awesome.
    Yup. Pantywaste ideals driving business out of the City.

Grandpas is a fruitcake

Grandpa is a nut. Very difficult to deal with. Dropped off my rifle - called after 3 weeks to see if my gun was ready. He told me he couldnt find it. After multiple phone calls (he hung up on me once because he had just gotten out of bed - at 10 am) 3 months later he finally found it. He does provide a valuable service - but i will bring my firearms somewhere else for service.

We had an old guy like that in Stevens Point that ran a shop. He was one of those types that really only like to sell to his friends. I stopped in once years ago on my quest to find a .460 and when I asked him he looked at me like there were snakes coming out of my ears.

These guys are Elmer Fudds. They don't understand the "need" for anything other than a 30-30 and a .22. Pistols and scary black guns scare them.

Edit: And after checking his prices on his website I'd have to agree that he is indeed, some sort of fruited, spongy, baked good.
    Last edited by anmut; 01-08-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    At lunch after Church, just now, an FFL neighbor explained that Larry Gleasman has found the perfect balance between BATFag demands for a brick storefront, security and expense. Thanks for the link URL to the story that was merely alluded.
    BAFT/ATF does not demand a brick storefront per se....up to local folks for that.

Makes sense what you say though ...

Yep more reason to head to http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php and buy then ship to Tim Kilian in Sun Prairie who only charges his costs for transfers. He is a gunsmith and does a lot of work and knows people. Granted you can't hold the piece in your hand and oogle all over it first. But the prices are very hard to beat.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info