Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Make Revolver would be Your Choice ?

What Make Revolver would be Your Choice ?

Question, if you were on a limited budget and was going to buy a revolver, which one would you buy keeping in mind needing the longevity of said revolver.

The revolver must have a 6" barrel; pref a .38 for cost of rounds but open to suggestions.

Below is a video of its intended use. I was borrowing Larry's 44 shooter for this match.

Thanks,
    Jim

CC: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...el-Shoot-Match
    Last edited by Rollbar; 03-26-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Clark County, NV-----------------------Mohave County, AZ
    Ruger GP100!
    Blue & Gold Firearms Training; Clark County, NV
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I second the Ruger GP-100 . You could even look for an older Ruger Security-Six if cash drawer is low. I bought a 4"BBL. , blued Security-Six for my first handgun .

Depends on what you intend to use it for. A 6 inch barrel is not likely going to be handy for carry purposes.

And, instead of buying a .38, consider a .357m instead. Shoots the same ammunition, but is stronger and it is possible to use the larger, more powerful cartridge if needed.

My SP101 .357m snubby will last several lifetimes after I'm gone. And I carry it daily.
    But, in the end, I live and therefore I am. I donít need any other personís permission to live or defend myself. I donít need anyoneís vetting of my intentions or sanity, nor approval for the self defense tool I choose or how I carry it.

I donít NEED to explain myself. I donít NEED any reasons at all.

Ruger
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Ruger single action .357 ...

Ruger definitely

==========================================
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Looking for training by experienced staff?
    We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
    http://www.shecanshoot.com/
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by MamaLiberty View Post
    Depends on what you intend to use it for. A 6 inch barrel is not likely going to be handy for carry purposes.

See Post #1

I was thinking of a 357 for the dual purpose but my main thing would be as post #1 shows. I want something to shot that will not break the bank. 9 X out of 10 I will not carry it but maybe.

So with those facts and statement of use do you all still recommend the Ruger GP100?

Thanks,
    Jim

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ruger!

lol seriously though, ANY Ruger revolver is going to be well made and not break the bank. It wont have quite as nice a trigger as a S&W and it wont have quite the...idk, aura and feel of a Colt, but they're all built like tanks and as accurate as anything else.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Talking

I love my Ruger SP101 but it does not meet your requirement of 6" barrel. Mine is 3 -1/16 and built like a tank. Very easy to use, but has a heavy trigger. I don't leave home without it. 357. 5 shot.

Either a 6" or 8" barrel.

What pound pull is the standard Gp100?

Can that be lightened up, if so I guess I can youtube it to find out.

Thanks,
    Jim

May I ask why you want a 6" or longer BBL. ? Both of my Security-Six Rugers were 4" BBLs. and very accurate . Everyone has their own wants and needs but I was just curious why you wanted the longer barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by jayspapa View Post
    May I ask why you want a 6" or longer BBL. ? Everyone has their own wants and needs but I was just curious why you wanted the longer barrel.

Better sight picture for me and more accurate for my needs/to follow/track to the target for me anyway.

I think the 6" barrel is perfect for what he wants to do. I'd buy a 6" revolver for that sport if I needed one. And the full underlug model will further help with that extra weight up front as well.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    And the full underlug model will further help with that extra weight up front as well.
    I'm thinking a 6" as well. I think it is allowed in the rules. I still will look at the 8" but then I might need a bi-pod to hold it up

What is a underlug model? I have been out of revolvers since I was a kid.

Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jayspapa View Post
    I second the Ruger GP-100 . You could even look for an older Ruger Security-Six if cash drawer is low. I bought a 4"BBL. , blued Security-Six for my first handgun .
    The Security Six is a great choice. Not as bulky as the GP and very nice to shoot.

Mike

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/...eets/1704.html

I looked at some security six's and they are about 150 bucks less than the GP100 as shown. Not sure if the one shown is an medium frame, looks like it, unless the GP100 is a medium frame.

I figured out the underlug-it runs full length to the end of the barrel-correct?

Is it a counter weight or does it serve another purpose.

Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
    http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/...eets/1704.html

I looked at some security six's and they are about 150 bucks less than the GP100 as shown. Not sure if the one shown is an medium frame, looks like it, unless the GP100 is a medium frame.

I figured out the underlug-it runs full length to the end of the barrel-correct?

Is it a counter weight or does it serve another purpose.

Thanks,
    Jim
    correct. a partial underlug is just long enough to cover the ejector rod, full means it goes to the end of the barrel.

As for the reasoning for the difference...I couldn't really tell you. Weight is probably one thing...for obvious reasons, revolvers designed to be carried have a partial underlug.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Ruger GP100!
    Largely depends upon what tasks the gun is expected to perform, but for a high quality general purpose DA revolver, I also agree with this recommendation.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Largely depends upon what tasks the gun is expected to perform.
    Post #1

My son and I were talking about this last night & I told him the recommendations of you all.

He mentioned a S&W-no reason really, but since they have been making guns for a while I guess. He is also in the research stage of what he wants in a revolver and will be doing the same thing w/it as I will be (Post 1/carry sometimes/and the Glock as well) doing. He did shoot the same revolver as I did in the match but at targets. He said the trigger felt good and the balance. I think the S&W was a 44 special and it did shoot well w/a 5" barrel (I think that what the owner said).

Any thoughts on the S&W 357 for this type of shooting.

Thanks,
    Jim

Great gun, no question. But when you mentioned value and strength, the scales tipped greatly in the direction of the Ruger.

The S&W may have a slightly better trigger out-of-the-box, but either can be made into smooth glass by a halfway decent 'smith.

The Model 586 (or 686) would be the equivalent package for what you are doing, but there is the model 27 (or 627), larger one, also.

Thanks, I will let him know.

Not only am I chiming in a little late, I'm also probably lending light to the sun, but I'll also +1 (or maybe +12 by now?) the GP100.

I only posess four revolvers, but If I were to carry one as a primary (my Taurus M85 is a backup, and I really don't like its poor quality) I'd carry my GP100.

The thing is a tank. Indestructible and very accurate. During close inspection, each individual part is finely crafted, and in comparison with other revolvers, seems like a "heavy duty" version. The trigger is smooth and solid, although, to be honest, rather heavy. Like the above posters recommend, I'd like to take it to a smith to make the trigger pull a little lighter, but that is far down my list of things to do.

As far as longevity, though, you can't go wrong with a GP100. I've had mine for 22 years, and there's barely any wear on it. It's no display case queen, either. I usually take it with whenever I hit the range since It's a joy to shoot. Especially running .38's through it. Super nice, then.

Well if price is a big deal then ignore what I am about to say.

I LOVE my S&W 629 .44 Mag. 5 inch barrel. The gun is extremely accurate, has a good trigger (better IMHO than any other production revolver).

Its about 800 bucks new. The 689 in 357 mag is also an amazing revolver, about the same price.

I love my GP100, and for the price its an amazing value, but the Smith is hands down a better shooting gun.

Again just my .02
    Last edited by Xulld; 03-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast