• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Make Revolver would be Your Choice ?

Rollbar

Question, if you were on a limited budget and was going to buy a revolver, which one would you buy keeping in mind needing the longevity of said revolver.

The revolver must have a 6" barrel; pref a .38 for cost of rounds but open to suggestions.

Below is a video of its intended use. I was borrowing Larry's 44 shooter for this match.

Thanks,
Jim

[video=youtube;HXnOX2BcOGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXnOX2BcOGU&feature=g-all-u&context=G2a35242FAAAAAAAAEAA[/video]

CC: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?101223-Stillwater-Firearms-Steel-Shoot-Match

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

Depends on what you intend to use it for. A 6 inch barrel is not likely going to be handy for carry purposes.

And, instead of buying a .38, consider a .357m instead. Shoots the same ammunition, but is stronger and it is possible to use the larger, more powerful cartridge if needed.

My SP101 .357m snubby will last several lifetimes after I'm gone. And I carry it daily.

Steeler-gal

Ruger definitely

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

Rollbar

Depends on what you intend to use it for. A 6 inch barrel is not likely going to be handy for carry purposes.

See Post #1

I was thinking of a 357 for the dual purpose but my main thing would be as post #1 shows. I want something to shot that will not break the bank. 9 X out of 10 I will not carry it but maybe.

So with those facts and statement of use do you all still recommend the Ruger GP100?

Thanks,
Jim

SovereignAxe

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ruger!

lol seriously though, ANY Ruger revolver is going to be well made and not break the bank. It wont have quite as nice a trigger as a S&W and it wont have quite the...idk, aura and feel of a Colt, but they're all built like tanks and as accurate as anything else.

VA Big E

I love my Ruger SP101 but it does not meet your requirement of 6" barrel. Mine is 3 -1/16 and built like a tank. Very easy to use, but has a heavy trigger. I don't leave home without it. 357. 5 shot.

Rollbar

Either a 6" or 8" barrel.

What pound pull is the standard Gp100?

Can that be lightened up, if so I guess I can youtube it to find out.

Thanks,
Jim

Rollbar

May I ask why you want a 6" or longer BBL. ? Everyone has their own wants and needs but I was just curious why you wanted the longer barrel.

Better sight picture for me and more accurate for my needs/to follow/track to the target for me anyway.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I think the 6" barrel is perfect for what he wants to do. I'd buy a 6" revolver for that sport if I needed one. And the full underlug model will further help with that extra weight up front as well.

Rollbar

And the full underlug model will further help with that extra weight up front as well.

I'm thinking a 6" as well. I think it is allowed in the rules. I still will look at the 8" but then I might need a bi-pod to hold it up :shocker:

What is a underlug model? I have been out of revolvers since I was a kid.

Thanks,
Jim

Trap

I second the Ruger GP-100 . You could even look for an older Ruger Security-Six if cash drawer is low. I bought a 4"BBL. , blued Security-Six for my first handgun .

The Security Six is a great choice. Not as bulky as the GP and very nice to shoot.

Mike

Rollbar

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1704.html

I looked at some security six's and they are about 150 bucks less than the GP100 as shown. Not sure if the one shown is an medium frame, looks like it, unless the GP100 is a medium frame.

I figured out the underlug-it runs full length to the end of the barrel-correct?

Is it a counter weight or does it serve another purpose.

Thanks,
Jim

SovereignAxe

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1704.html

I looked at some security six's and they are about 150 bucks less than the GP100 as shown. Not sure if the one shown is an medium frame, looks like it, unless the GP100 is a medium frame.

I figured out the underlug-it runs full length to the end of the barrel-correct?

Is it a counter weight or does it serve another purpose.

Thanks,
Jim

correct. a partial underlug is just long enough to cover the ejector rod, full means it goes to the end of the barrel.

As for the reasoning for the difference...I couldn't really tell you. Weight is probably one thing...for obvious reasons, revolvers designed to be carried have a partial underlug.