• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Make Revolver would be Your Choice ?

Rollbar

My son and I were talking about this last night & I told him the recommendations of you all.

He mentioned a S&W-no reason really, but since they have been making guns for a while I guess. He is also in the research stage of what he wants in a revolver and will be doing the same thing w/it as I will be (Post 1/carry sometimes/and the Glock as well) doing. He did shoot the same revolver as I did in the match but at targets. He said the trigger felt good and the balance. I think the S&W was a 44 special and it did shoot well w/a 5" barrel (I think that what the owner said).

Any thoughts on the S&W 357 for this type of shooting.

Thanks,
Jim

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Great gun, no question. But when you mentioned value and strength, the scales tipped greatly in the direction of the Ruger.

The S&W may have a slightly better trigger out-of-the-box, but either can be made into smooth glass by a halfway decent 'smith.

The Model 586 (or 686) would be the equivalent package for what you are doing, but there is the model 27 (or 627), larger one, also.

Superlite27

Not only am I chiming in a little late, I'm also probably lending light to the sun, but I'll also +1 (or maybe +12 by now?) the GP100.

I only posess four revolvers, but If I were to carry one as a primary (my Taurus M85 is a backup, and I really don't like its poor quality) I'd carry my GP100.

The thing is a tank. Indestructible and very accurate. During close inspection, each individual part is finely crafted, and in comparison with other revolvers, seems like a "heavy duty" version. The trigger is smooth and solid, although, to be honest, rather heavy. Like the above posters recommend, I'd like to take it to a smith to make the trigger pull a little lighter, but that is far down my list of things to do.

As far as longevity, though, you can't go wrong with a GP100. I've had mine for 22 years, and there's barely any wear on it. It's no display case queen, either. I usually take it with whenever I hit the range since It's a joy to shoot. Especially running .38's through it. Super nice, then.

Xulld

Well if price is a big deal then ignore what I am about to say.

I LOVE my S&W 629 .44 Mag. 5 inch barrel. The gun is extremely accurate, has a good trigger (better IMHO than any other production revolver).

Its about 800 bucks new. The 689 in 357 mag is also an amazing revolver, about the same price.

I love my GP100, and for the price its an amazing value, but the Smith is hands down a better shooting gun.

Again just my .02

Last edited:

Rollbar

My son and I happened to stop by a gun store today in out travels and they had a Blued GP100 6" long underlug w/the nice finger grip on it.

Felt good, trigger a little hard (that can be fixed), with the long underlug I could tell how that would help recoil. $570.00 Jr wants the GP100 now and in SSteel.

Thanks all for the help, now to save. :)

P.S. It would be nice if they made a 9mm in a revolver (not sure), that would help w/using one caliber/re-loading.

Just googled it and saw this, I think it can come in the 6" barrel. http://www.basspro.com/Ruger-reg-Bl...-w-9mm-Luger-Cylinder/product/10218405/107710

The savings w/the ammo etc. Maybe I should start another thread-what do you think?

Thanks again,
Jim

Last edited:

Resto Guy

I'll throw out a suggestion. It's a .357, though. A Dan Wesson 15-2 VH6 is fine shooting gun, and a nice used one can be found for $400 or less.

Rollbar

I'll throw out a suggestion. It's a .357, though. A Dan Wesson 15-2 VH6 is fine shooting gun, and a nice used one can be found for $400 or less.

We will have to save, but want to buy new, weird thing we have I guess, but thank you.

Rollbar

Well my son and I decided to get the GP100/6" full underlug.

He wants the SS & I want the pistol blued, so we will be buying two in the up coming months. Not sure the difference besides the obvious but its all good and since we live where the humidity is very, very low, rust is not a factor (nor was it on the East Coast due to the care given to the weapons).

Thanks for the help,
Jim

Last edited:

scott58dh

Wheel Guns are Dependable & User Friendly

I got my CCW permit last Oct. & I studied the issue (which firearm is right for me?) for a Long time, and I decided on the Ruger Sp101 with 3 1/16th barrel.

Bought it private sale for $400.

It's a very versatile weapon , shoots 38 spl, 38 spl +P & 357 mag, and it's easy maintenance.

I use 38 SWC for TP & buy the Ultramax Remanufactured Ammo bulk 200 rnd for about $60.

Then keep it loaded full time with +P 158 gr. JHP, 357 mag is too HARD on the ears. :eek:

I really enjoy this fine piece of craftsmanship, it's my full time carry gun, in a Mikes Sidekick, either on my belt or just stuff holster in my front pocket.

Not a regular practitioner of OC, usually wear an outer garment or untuck T-shirt, but do enjoy the ability to finally be a RKBA Patriot.

Keep up the hunt, ask lots of questions, visit local gun dealers for a "test drive" & you'll eventually find what you like.

Check out Guns & Ammo magazine for Handgun reviews, do Youtube Reviews & maybe visit a shooting range/ gun club for a show & tell with other Bro's & Sis's in Arms.

Peace & Keep Up The Fight for Our Rights ! Sincerely, Scott

Last edited:

robert1970

I have one of the new taurus 357 magnums with a 2inc barrel and concelled hammer.I use it for my ccw,when I cant open carry,and so far I like it

Rollbar

Thanks, 2" barrel and a magnum must be fun to shoot WHEN you use the mag load :shocker: :lol:

94 at Large

Since I already own one my choice is the one I made back in the 70's. Smith & Wesson Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" w/6 inch barrel and oversize wooden grips. Have thousands of rounds thru this gun. Unfortunately, they are no longer made. :cry:

Makes for an impressive open carry. :shocker:

.45acp

Rollbar,

You already have a lot of good advice. Nothing wrong with the Ruger, they are a good firearm.

But, that said, you should shoot the Ruger and a S&W 586 or 686 side by side. As you probably know the 586 and 686 are the same gun but the 5 denotes blue steel and the 6 denotes SS.

A couple of things to bear in mind regarding the Smiths.

1, I think they come stock with better sights.

2, You can definitely get a much slicker DA trigger on the Smith easier. And the SA trigger break can be a thing of wonder.

3, You will find a larger selection of after market grips for the Smith.

4, 6 or 7 round models.

Shoot them before you buy with light target loads and full on heavy mag loads. You don't really know how a gun fits your hand until you run 100 full house mags through it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rollbar

Thanks all good suggestions/running 100 rounds through the weapon etc.

P.S. Nice Red Dog avatar :D