• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Make Revolver would be Your Choice ?

Gil223

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ruger!

lol seriously though, ANY Ruger revolver is going to be well made and not break the bank. It wont have quite as nice a trigger as a S&W and it wont have quite the...idk, aura and feel of a Colt, but they're all built like tanks and as accurate as anything else.

My Ruger LCR 38+P has a factory trigger that I'd put up against carry S&W factory trigger. Very smooth, almost no creep, crisp and breaks at about 7-8lbs. It is the best factory trigger of any DA revolver that I have owned (including H&R, S&W, Colt, Charter Bulldog, Dan Wesson, Rossi and Taurus). :) Pax...

Last edited:

Xulld

Well my son and I decided to get the GP100/6" full underlug.

He wants the SS & I want the pistol blued, so we will be buying two in the up coming months. Not sure the difference besides the obvious but its all good and since we live where the humidity is very, very low, rust is not a factor (nor was it on the East Coast due to the care given to the weapons).

Thanks for the help,
Jim
Cant go wrong with a ruger.

I Miss my blued GP100!

Rollbar

My son and I will be getting the GP100 soon. Can't wait, will post up picks. Thanks everyone for the help-knowledge. Jim

Rollbar

I am going to buy the Blued GP100 6" etc and my son is going to buy the SSteel GP100 6" etc. Hopefully next month or right around that time ?? But soon.

That would be something to look at.

Is there a reason behind your question, meaning problems w/one and not the other. Just wondering.

Thanks,
Jim

jayspapa

My first revolver was a Ruger Security-Six .357 w/ 4" BBL. Blued finish . I sold it and after a while decided to buy a SS version. The SS security -six had a very stiff trigger , plus it would stack up bad at the end of travel.
I had a guy work on it , and it helped , but never was as smooth as the blued model.

Rossaroni

I am going to buy the Blued GP100 6" etc and my son is going to buy the SSteel GP100 6" etc. Hopefully next month or right around that time ?? But soon.

That would be something to look at.

Is there a reason behind your question, meaning problems w/one and not the other. Just wondering.

Thanks,
Jim

Excellent choice! :banana::monkey:banana:

When it comes to revolvers, Ruger and S&W are my two favorites.

I used to own a S&W 686+ with 7 round cylinder.

I kick myself for selling it everytime I think about it.

Your GP-100 will serve you well for a lifetime.

Xulld

This thread is dangerous to my bank account! Dah!

Makes me want to go out and get another revolver.

Rollbar

This thread is dangerous to my bank account! Dah!

Makes me want to go out and get another revolver.

Let me make it more dangerous :exclaim:

My daughter is buying the SP101 4" SS; My son the GP100 6" SS & I'm getting the 6" blued GP.

NOW is the time to buy as my other daughter might be buying the M&P SHIELD 9mm.

This will all take place on June 4th so if anyone wants to buy a gun and meet us there (RENO) I'm sure I can talk to the owner on pricing :shocker: :cool:

Xulld

Let me make it more dangerous :exclaim:

My daughter is buying the SP101 4" SS; My son the GP100 6" SS & I'm getting the 6" blued GP.

NOW is the time to buy as my other daughter might be buying the M&P SHIELD 9mm.

This will all take place on June 4th so if anyone wants to buy a gun and meet us there (RENO) I'm sure I can talk to the owner on pricing :shocker: :cool:

Hahahah, I am like . .. . MUST . . . . KEEP . . . . PLAN . . . .

I have to get a nice truck rifle, folding stock ect, and need to get one of those nifty take down ruger 10-22's first! Then I can start spluging on pistols again. After reading this thread and remembering all the fun I had back in the day with my Ruger GP100 Blued sure makes it hard to stick to the plan, lol.

Viking

ruger v. smith

Both have their good points. The GP-100 is very similar to the S&W 586/686. The Smith "tunes up" easier, but the Ruger does tune, it just seems to take longer. I've never owned either, but have had friends who've owned both. They're both hell for strong. One friend had an ammo mishap with
his S&W 686, which withstood a bbl. with a lodged bullet. It forced the hammer back with such force that it had to be pounded back into the rest
position. He traded for a new GP-100. The S&W can be had in a 7 shooter (686+) which is very nice. The 8 shot guns are N frames, IIRC, so are
larger/ heavier to carry. Having shot both, I could easily live with either one. You have no bad choices here.

eamelhorn

I have a Taurus Judge which is chambered to shoot .45 Long Colt or 3in .410 shot gun ammo, I carry it almost everyday, but to carry it all day everyday,it's too heavy.But I shoot a 1.5in group off handed at 35ft with Federal ammo, any type I have shot. Remington ammo is a much larger group. Thats the only revolver I own, its within arms reach at all times when im home, and on my hip everyday when out, but never carried it on my hip all day.