• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some Virginia Open Carry Questions

Vaquero77

Dear folks,
I work for a towing/repossession company locally in Richmond. I work in the main office. I started open carrying a Taurus handgun about 2 months ago. My father was in the Marines and over the years he has taught me how to handle firearms. My owner is all for gun rights so he is OK with it. Also I have noticed a significant decrease in the amount of rowdy customers I have to deal with. The police have come to the office several times and have never said anything to me about it. The questions I have are: Can I keep the handgun loaded and ready to go on private property? When I leave I unload the one in the chamber and take the clip out and put it all in the trunk. Is this legal or can I do something else(like have it on the seat next to me or in the glove box)? Thank you in advance for all your help.
Derrick

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Dear folks,
I work for a towing/repossession company locally in Richmond. I work in the main office. I started open carrying a Taurus handgun about 2 months ago. My father was in the Marines and over the years he has taught me how to handle firearms. My owner is all for gun rights so he is OK with it. Also I have noticed a significant decrease in the amount of rowdy customers I have to deal with. The police have come to the office several times and have never said anything to me about it. The questions I have are:

Can I keep the handgun loaded and ready to go on private property?

Yes you can unless the owner forbids it. I'm sure you already know that a repossession must be peaceful in Va. If you are on private property and haven't already hooked up, you and the gun have to leave if ordered to.

When I leave I unload the one in the chamber and take the clip out and put it all in the trunk. Is this legal or can I do something else(like have it on the seat next to me or in the glove box)?

You can just put it on the seat or in any secured container (your choice), either loaded or unloaded.

Thank you in advance for all your help.
Derrick

Welcome to the site!

half_life1052

Somebody jump in here and correct me if I am wrong, but the meaning of secured is closed not necessarily locked.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Somebody jump in here and correct me if I am wrong, but the meaning of secured is closed not necessarily locked.

That is correct....but the message hasn't sunk in to some LE yet. User had a case where his client was charged even though it was double secured. It was dismissed but still a PITA. That was also up north where the cops feel like they can ignore the laws they don't like.

The origional bill as passed, said locked. McDonnell sent it back and it was changed to secured.

He probably won't have any trouble in Richmond or Henrico, he can count on issues with Chesterfield, but tow truck drivers and repo people are generally given a lot of rope by LE...as long as they keep it low profile.

Last edited:

TFred

Mayhem

Welcome to the site. Thank you for exercising your rights to carry and defend yourself.

"Can I keep the handgun loaded and ready to go on private property? When I leave I unload the one in the chamber and take the clip out and put it all in the trunk. Is this legal or can I do something else(like have it on the seat next to me or in the glove box)? Thank you in advance for all your help."

Why would you think you can't have it loaded when on private property?

Is there any law in your area that states you cannot have a loaded gun in your vehicle while it is in plain view?

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4
Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308
Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry

10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.

Last edited:

swatpro911

That is correct....but the message hasn't sunk in to some LE yet. User had a case where his client was charged even though it was double secured. It was dismissed but still a PITA. That was also up north where the cops feel like they can ignore the laws they don't like.

The origional bill as passed, said locked. McDonnell sent it back and it was changed to secured.

He probably won't have any trouble in Richmond or Henrico, he can count on issues with Chesterfield, but tow truck drivers and repo people are generally given a lot of rope by LE...as long as they keep it low profile.

I have personally seen regular towing company on private property carries firearms right in front of their center console and readily accessible if they need to. East Coast and Advanced Towing to name a few....

va_tazdad

Hold on there a minute

I would have to disagree with you about Chesterfield. I have never had a problem and I live in "North Chesterfield".

Could it be that the barrel on that cannon of yours extends down to your knee????

I think it is more an envy problem because yours is bigger than theirs. ;>)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I would have to disagree with you about Chesterfield. I have never had a problem and I live in "North Chesterfield".

Could it be that the barrel on that cannon of yours extends down to your knee????

I think it is more an envy problem because yours is bigger than theirs. ;>)

:lol:

I don't have any problems with them but I never stop there either.
Others have including Grapeshot I believe. Remember, this is the county that arrested an OC Jogger because he was jogging past a school.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
and take the clip out
Why? do you have long hair?

6894848949_78158b28e7_b.jpg

Red Dawg

LOL..My favorite part of Ed's pic is the pew pew....Like it's electronic..."LAZER" hehehe..

I know it's hard, but old habits for some are hard to break...Banana clip is a part of speech for older types that had a certain type of training...