• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Im new, and the phone is acting stupid..

mpguy

I was trying tho use the search function but gave up on it, due to either the phone or its operator bring to brain dead this morning...I just bought a Smith & Wesson M&P .45, and am I correct in reading that you may carry where in the state, as long as its not posted not too?

Granted place of worship, court house,and etc. are a giving. I just did not to be ok in say Suffolk, the head too say, Chesapeake to do business and get my butt busted from just getting out of the car.

Thanks guys for the feed back, and answering a rookies questions.

Ive been checking out the ocing in Hampton roads thread, and it has my spirits up,I just suck at reading the law on the books.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to the site!
I can't even see the letters on my phone and the search function here is possessed, so don't bother.:lol:

Yes, except for places forbidden by statute or the owner of private property (a few exceptions like College buildings under the Va Admin. Code) you can carry where you please!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OC is generally legal anywhere CC is - just no CHP required.

See list of restricted/not legal places in the link following. Look to the bottom of the page.
http://www.vcdl.org/static/ccw.html

Suggest you attend one of the meet n' greets in your area. You'll pick up more good advice and pleasant conversation over good food than you will in a week of reading. Nevertheless do recommend that your read, study and get to know the applicable laws.

Also sign up for the free Va-Alerts and keep up with everything in and around VA, including changes in the laws.
http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.html

mpguy

Thanks a bunch guys! I'll be joining the VCDL very soon.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks a bunch guys! I'll be joining the VCDL very soon.

That's great to hear
icon14.png

We'll keep the light on for you.

MilProGuy

Welcome to the forum, mpguy!

Did you give yourself that screen name because of your affinity for your S&W M&P .45ACP pistol?

I really dig the Taurus Millennium Pro line of pistols, hence my screen name of MilProGuy!

I just acquired my third one last Friday (a MilPro PT145 .45ACP)

Last edited:

streetdoc

Here's a link to an App that I use, it has a listing for each state and what their gun laws are. They had a problem with one of their developers and had to switch to a new one and have not got the "Open Carry" laws or lack of caught up yet, but they will get there. They support both both iPhone and Droids.

http://www.mylegalheat.com/

mpguy

A Given? You can carry in places of worship.

Must have Good reason unless I misunderstood what I read. I know to protect myself would be more than enough for most but didn't think it be worth pushing the issue. May give it a try though.

Last edited:

mpguy

Yes that's how I got name. Lol. Its the full size model, figured if I was going to spend the money, I'd get the biggest I felt comfortable carrying.

TFred

Suggest you read the Attorney General's opinion from April 2011 on "good and sufficient reason."

http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions and Legal Resources/Opinions/2011opns/11-043 cole.pdf

An AG's opinion is not the same as law, but it goes a long way toward convincing people (such as LEOs, Commonwealth's Attorneys and Magistrates) that the law should be interpreted in the same way he sees it. As always you could run into someone with a chip on their shoulder who is going to do what they want, even if they know they won't prevail in the end. (Assuming you have the money, stamina and courage to fight it long enough to get there...)

I believe AG Cuccinelli described his opinions as being his best estimate of how the Supreme Court of Virginia would rule on the issue, if they got it right. Or something like that.

TFred

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In church is one of the few places I CC, so under normal circumstances no one is going to see it.

If they do see it, it is because I had "good and sufficient cause" - the circumstance provides justification.
The possibility is always there - gun free zones are target rich - no appointment required.