Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66

Thread: My first police encounter

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Auburn, wa
    Posts
    112

    My first police encounter

    I was stopped for speeding by pacific pd. politely informed him I was armed and had my cpl. He was cool about the situation. Had me step out of the car checked and cleared my gun. All in all great experience. He was calm I was calm. He thanked me for being upfront with him. Still got the ticket though.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    He checked and cleared your gun? What do you mean by that? Did he look at it in the computer or did he physically clear it? If option two did he take all of the ammunition out the magazine before returning the gun? More questions to follow your response.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by briehl12 View Post
    I was stopped for speeding by pacific pd. politely informed him I was armed and had my cpl. He was cool about the situation. Had me step out of the car checked and cleared my gun. All in all great experience. He was calm I was calm. He thanked me for being upfront with him. Still got the ticket though.
    You were pulled over for a traffic infraction (not a crime) and you gave up your right to be silent(5A) and you gave up your right to be secure in your personal affects(4A), why? Why tell him at all unless you are asked to step out of your vehicle. Did you admit to speeding as well? Did you let him search your car for contraband? I am confused as to why people tell the officer about something that is unrelated to the stop.
    Live Free or Die!

  4. #4
    Regular Member brknprmss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Renton
    Posts
    8
    Here is thought:

    You don't have to tell, however you run the risk of the police officer spotting your firearm and getting alarmed. Depending on the maturity of the officer or comfort level he may chose to ask for your permit or call back up and end up with 5 police cars surrounding you. Everything depends on the "what if". I work with law enforcement and although are very tolerant and supportive of our gun rights they worry about the nut jobs they could potentially encounter and have. Just a thought. I OC everywhere unless posted, I have yet to be harrased.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Auburn, wa
    Posts
    112
    I have a family member who is Leo and we talked about traffic stops. I agree that for everyone's safety it's better to inform the Leo. I know il catch flack for this but whatever. No search of my car. I had my gun on my right hip Same side as my wallet. It was showing and I'm a bigger guy so I have to lean a bit to get my wallet he would have seen it anyways. He asked if he could take it out of the holster for his safety and I told him I do not agree to that but told him if it would speed things up then ok. Was trying to go get lunch. I was hungry. It was a good stop no flack from the Leo at all.

  6. #6
    Regular Member sawah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by briehl12 View Post
    I have a family member who is Leo and we talked about traffic stops. I agree that for everyone's safety it's better to inform the Leo. I know il catch flack for this but whatever. No search of my car. I had my gun on my right hip Same side as my wallet. It was showing and I'm a bigger guy so I have to lean a bit to get my wallet he would have seen it anyways. He asked if he could take it out of the holster for his safety and I told him I do not agree to that but told him if it would speed things up then ok. Was trying to go get lunch. I was hungry. It was a good stop no flack from the Leo at all.
    Hate to say it but this attitude is the very model of dumbassery on your part. You LET the LEO - a person you do not know the gun handling skills of handle and clear your gun? That's how people get shot with their own weapon.

    If you are so afraid of carrying a firearm legally that you can't even follow the law in a 'no need to inform state' perhaps you should just get a dog and carry a rubber bat?

    Were you running your recorder? Do you have any proof of what happened? Did you get the LEO's badge number?

    Take it out of the holster for his safety? OMG.

    Anyway, comments aside, I'm glad you are safe and life has moved on. You might consider the folly of your ways.

    1. You apparently are not properly prepared for a traffic stop;
    2. You may know the law but not the ramifications;
    3. You do not know how to carry your firearm properly concealed;
    4. You may need to go on a diet (teasing).

    HTH
    A firearm is a tool of convenience, not effectiveness - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    +1 to the posters who oppose notifying cops about guns during traffic stops when there is no statute requiring it.

    I'll just add that when the cop walks up to me, I cannot tell whether he is a good cop or a bad cop. When the good cops get rid of the bad cops, then we'll talk about notifying.

    I cannot say that a traffic stop where a cop seizes my gun is a good encounter. A cop who basically acknowledges the presence of the gun, but then pretty much ignores it is a good stop, if there can be any such thing as a good stop.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Auburn, wa
    Posts
    112
    I agree not prepared for a stop. Weight yea need to loose a few pounds. I could have stood my ground with not letting him take possession. It was my first encounter with a cop that actually talked to me for any reason while carrying.

  9. #9
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by briehl12 View Post
    I had my gun on my right hip Same side as my wallet.
    Start carrying your wallet in your left pocket.

    There's a few reasons...

    1 is for the reason you mentioned. Crooked cops 'he was reaching for his gun'....... If you notify that you have a gun on your right, and reach to your right, there's gonna be a problem.

    2 is actually a tactical thing... Let's say you're getting robbed, you can tell the guy 'OK OK, look, my wallet is in my left pocket OK,here's my hand, I'm just gonna slowly grab it ok, just my wallet' then human nature is to WATCH THE LEFT HAND GO TO THE WALLET....guess where my right hand is going? The one he's NOT paying attention to?

    3 When I go pay for purchases, sometimes there is already uptight people around, including the cashier.... This includes banks or whatever.......I don't wanna appear to be reaching for my firearm at any cashier, bank window, etc etc.... same reason why you wouldn't want to keep your wallet inside your jacket when wearing a shoulder holster.
    Last edited by TechnoWeenie; 03-25-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Medic1210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rockingham, NC
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by sawah View Post
    Hate to say it but this attitude is the very model of dumbassery on your part. You LET the LEO - a person you do not know the gun handling skills of handle and clear your gun? That's how people get shot with their own weapon.

    If you are so afraid of carrying a firearm legally that you can't even follow the law in a 'no need to inform state' perhaps you should just get a dog and carry a rubber bat?
    Wow, @$$hole much? Maybe you can cut the guy a little slack, or at a minimum, treat him with the same respect you like to be treated with.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    What specifically did the cop do with your gun once he removed it from your holster? I'd still like to know.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    What specifically did the cop do with your gun once he removed it from your holster? I'd still like to know.
    Second that.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Sparky508's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Graham, , USA
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic1210 View Post
    Wow, @$$hole much? Maybe you can cut the guy a little slack, or at a minimum, treat him with the same respect you like to be treated with.
    He volunteered away his rights, informed us about it, and recieved a response. There was no need to inform him. Every time I hear about someone volunteering the fact that they are carrying, I think gun geek.

    "Look officer, I have a gun too,huh?!"

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Auburn, wa
    Posts
    112

    Smile

    Thanks for the responses. Yes he did take off my person. Took it back with him took mag out and returned to me. Ammo still in mag. Yes I may have volunteered my rights but that was my choice. Givin the fact he would have seen it anyways. I volunteered giving you my encounter experiance. I would rather let a Leo know up front than to be pulled out of my car. I guess next time il be better prepared. As I stated this was my first experiance.

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by briehl12 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Yes he did take off my person. Took it back with him took mag out and returned to me. Ammo still in mag. Yes I may have volunteered my rights but that was my choice. Givin the fact he would have seen it anyways. I volunteered giving you my encounter experiance. I would rather let a Leo know up front than to be pulled out of my car. I guess next time il be better prepared. As I stated this was my first experiance.
    Why would he have seen it anyways?
    Live Free or Die!

  16. #16
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    Start carrying your wallet in your left pocket.

    There's a few reasons...

    1 is for the reason you mentioned. Crooked cops 'he was reaching for his gun'....... If you notify that you have a gun on your right, and reach to your right, there's gonna be a problem.

    2 is actually a tactical thing... Let's say you're getting robbed, you can tell the guy 'OK OK, look, my wallet is in my left pocket OK,here's my hand, I'm just gonna slowly grab it ok, just my wallet' then human nature is to WATCH THE LEFT HAND GO TO THE WALLET....guess where my right hand is going? The one he's NOT paying attention to?

    3 When I go pay for purchases, sometimes there is already uptight people around, including the cashier.... This includes banks or whatever.......I don't wanna appear to be reaching for my firearm at any cashier, bank window, etc etc.... same reason why you wouldn't want to keep your wallet inside your jacket when wearing a shoulder holster.
    There's another reason too, it's harder to loose or get pick pocketed from your front left pocket, I have always carried my wallet there but I grew up in bad neighborhoods.

    Briehl, don't just think what is easier for you. What about the next guy who doesn't want to volunteer info to the cop you just made his life that much more difficult. Something to think about.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Auburn, wa
    Posts
    112
    Gun on my right hip about 1-2oclock position uncovered I did not have my shirt covering. I am wearing a white tshirt. The way he was facing me he could see inside very well.

  18. #18
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by briehl12 View Post
    Gun on my right hip about 1-2oclock position uncovered I did not have my shirt covering. I am wearing a white tshirt. The way he was facing me he could see inside very well.
    I have been pulled over a few times gun was never an issue. Don't make it one. It is your fundamental right to bear that firearm.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by briehl12 View Post
    Gun on my right hip about 1-2oclock position uncovered I did not have my shirt covering. I am wearing a white tshirt. The way he was facing me he could see inside very well.
    I have been pulled over many times and a firearm has never been an issue. I would hate to see the LEO have to unload 3 or more guns from my vehicle....LOL Even one time pulled over by WSP and the gun on the passenger seat in plain view. Never removed, only asked if I always carried on the road and I answered in the affirmative. He said, he couldn't blame me in today's day and age.
    Live Free or Die!

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Auburn, wa
    Posts
    112
    Guns should never be an issue. It was a small town. Pacific. I learned a while back algona and pacific are at most more strict than any other city. I've walked by both king county sheriff, auburn and Renton pd with no words exchanged or issue. Anyways moving on.... Had an uneventful day the rest of it anyways. SAMs club Walmart supercuts and supermall no issue.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by briehl12 View Post
    Guns should never be an issue. It was a small town. Pacific. I learned a while back algona and pacific are at most more strict than any other city. I've walked by both king county sheriff, auburn and Renton pd with no words exchanged or issue. Anyways moving on.... Had an uneventful day the rest of it anyways. SAMs club Walmart supercuts and supermall no issue.
    Pardon me, but what does the bold quote above have to do with firearms carry in Washington? This state has preemption. The state supreme court has upheld state preemption in the Chan v Seattle case.
    Live Free or Die!

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    There's another reason too, it's harder to loose or get pick pocketed from your front left pocket, I have always carried my wallet there but I grew up in bad neighborhoods.

    Briehl, don't just think what is easier for you. What about the next guy who doesn't want to volunteer info to the cop you just made his life that much more difficult. Something to think about.
    I also carry my small wallet in my front left pocket and I did not grow up in bad neighborhoods. Harder to be pick pocketed, easier to distract a mugger and easier to handle in the store.
    Live Free or Die!

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Auburn, wa
    Posts
    112
    It has nothing to do with oc. Period. What's your point?this thread was about my experiance.

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by briehl12 View Post
    It has nothing to do with oc. Period. What's your point?this thread was about my experiance.
    You made the statement, I am inquiring about your statement. If it has nothing to do with OC then why make the statement? I appreciate your experience it provides others a chance to look at traffic stops from different angles.

    I am going to put being pulled over for a traffic violation in a much stronger statement that I have made before.


    Wrong! As I said, logically he should assume I'm one of the "good guys" and that therefore I am armed! You are swallowing the propaganda, that as Americans we need a piece of paper to exercise our right to keep and bear arms. You also share the assumption that having a gun means you are probably one of the "bad guys". Being a good citizen means you are armed! You need a fundamental shift in your thinking. It's clear that unless I'm engaged in felonious activity I have a right to carry (With one of the unconstitutional permits) and he doesn't need to know I'm armed. I'm no more dangerous being armed than he is!

    Not showing a LEO my permit does not mean I don't respect him, as I and others have said, my possession of a permit has nothing to do with the stop!
    Live Free or Die!

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Auburn, wa
    Posts
    112
    Good point. Although one may argue that keeping your wallet in your front pocket is not anything oc related either. Just carrying on with conversation. Thanks for the responses. Il be better prepared next time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •