• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc under 21 for handguns ?

mudrunner91

okay so i am trying to find out if there is a law that states that people that are legel to own a handgun " not a convict felon" under the age of 21 can legaly oc with out getting introuble. most of the people that i am sure have asked this ? is just general purpose. but i work for a repo and private property impound company and i recently had a bad runin with a customer that was upset about his car being impounded understandable but when he proceeded to get phycial and out of hand and did what i needed to do to defend my self and needless to say police where involved and it was alot of bs. After all that i was told by sources i cant name they where almost %100 sure that as long as i purchused my handgun privatly that i could open carry and also carry in my truck as long as the company owner was okay with it. but i was never given a law code to see if it was good info or not and nothing that i have read says that a person under the age of 21 can or can not oc a handgun. i know the laws for shotguns and rifles own them and have made sure of the laws they are pretty clear but handgun laws are not clear for something like this. i have also been looking for the law code that says i can own the handgun under 21. if anyone can help me that wpuld be great i dont have but a month from yesterday till i am 21 but with everything that happened yesterday my boss and wife have told me to carry from now on..

thanks

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to the site!

There is no law that says you can carry under 21. That's a good thing. We don't want laws telling us what we can do.

There is no law that says you can't either. That's also a good thing assuming you're over 18 and have no legal prohibitions that would prevent you from owning a gun. That means you can OC.

Your story concerns me though. What would you have done if you had a gun?

A handgun isn't a magic wand. It stops fights and does it with some finality. It won't prevent them though and killing someone is serious. Moral considerations aside, if you aren't justified in shooting someone, life as you now know it is over.

Something to think about!

TFred

Welcome to the site!

There is no law that says you can carry under 21. That's a good thing. We don't want laws telling us what we can do.

There is no law that says you can't either. That's also a good thing assuming you're over 18 and have no legal prohibitions that would prevent you from owning a gun. That means you can OC.

Your story concerns me though. What would you have done if you had a gun?

A handgun isn't a magic wand. It stops fights and does it with some finality. It won't prevent them though and killing someone is serious. Moral considerations aside, if you aren't justified in shooting someone, life as you now know it is over.

Something to think about!
I'm pretty sure that even if you are justified, your life will never be the same in that case either.

TFred

mudrunner91

I'm pretty sure that even if you are justified, your life will never be the same in that case either.

TFred[/QUOTe

Well as far as what happened the other night. In that case at that point in time if i had been carrying i would not have even thought about using my weapon but with the circimstancesthat happened with threaats made to me and other employees of the company i had was td to notify pd by my boss and after talking with them on the phone there was a b.o.l. put out on the suv they where driving and it was stopped 10 min. Later for.something else ane police found a concel 380 on on of the guys that was here that was fully loaded serials scraped off Nd guy has background for agervated assult. Needless to say he went to jail. But being that if i had not taken the actions that i did when one of the 3 guys reach back in the suv and atarted to step out with something it could have become a 3 on 1 gun fight. I have to deal with thing like that on a normal bases of roudy people and things but the fact being that if i had not done what i did i could have been another news paper headline the next day. I know how alot of peoe feel about younger people.owning weapons. But fortunely.for.me.dad raise.me.with respect for them and i have been through the selfdefence classes for.firearms and for.hand to hand. So i know the legal riht of using a weapon and what price comea with that legal and mentally. But typing all this from my phone.is pain so i wi check back.in a bit when i am.off work

Mayhem

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.7

Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. For the purposes of this section, "handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm originally designed, made and intended to fire single or multiple projectiles by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand and "assault firearm" means any (i) semi-automatic centerfire rifle or pistol which expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (ii) shotgun with a magazine which will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered. A violation of this section shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor.

This section shall not apply to:

1. Any person (i) while in his home or on his property; (ii) while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or (iii) while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian if the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;

2. Any person who, while accompanied by an adult, is at, or going to and from, a lawful shooting range or firearms educational class, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported;

3. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or going to and from a hunting area or preserve, provided that the weapons are unloaded while being transported; and

4. Any person while carrying out his duties in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard of this Commonwealth or any other state.

ToggleSwitch

Welcome to the forums!

As the others have stated it is completely legal to open carry so long as you are over 18 and don't fall under any of the restrictions (no felonies, mental illness, etc).

Spend some time reading around the forums. There is a lot of helpful people here that know their stuff.

Also check out the maps section of the website. You might find it enlightening...

http://opencarry.org/maps.html

You may also want to read around on how to handle cops if you are ever stopped. Remember that you don't have to submit to any kind of search and seizure (including ID unless driving). Here is a good video to watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

My last recommendation is to attend some of our open carry dinners/breakfast meet-ups. Spending time with fellow OC'ers can help ease the nerviness that you may feel when you first start.

Welcome once again!

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Welcome to the forums!

As the others have stated it is completely legal to open carry so long as you are over 18 and don't fall under any of the restrictions (no felonies, mental illness, etc).

Spend some time reading around the forums. There is a lot of helpful people here that know their stuff.

Also check out the maps section of the website. You might find it enlightening...

http://opencarry.org/maps.html

You may also want to read around on how to handle cops if you are ever stopped. Remember that you don't have to submit to any kind of search and seizure (including ID unless driving). Here is a good video to watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

My last recommendation is to attend some of our open carry dinners/breakfast meet-ups. Spending time with fellow OC'ers can help ease the nerviness that you may feel when you first start.

Welcome once again!

and don't forget to get some good training! :)