• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying, Selling and Trading Personal Firearms - GunDeals.org

VGOF

Good day everyone. I just kicked off a new community-based website for the buying, selling and trading of guns, accessories and ammunition for free. There are also places to post meet-ups and OC dinners as well as an event calendar.

GunDeals.org

The site is organized much like Craigslist in that each state is divided into specific city-based geographical areas. This will allow for closer "Face-to-Face" transactions between buyers and sellers. I tried to keep the theme simple so that posting and browsing would be as easy as possible.

Please take a moment to stop by the site - and if you have anything that you're looking to buy or sell, please post it up!

If you see anything that you think needs to be adjusted, let me know and I'll see if I can work it in to make the site more user-friendly.

I'll be speaking with John Pierce here at OCDO soon to get a banner placed at the top of OCDO pointing to the new site.

I hope you all find this to be a useful tool.

Rick

vermonter

Just don't get like Gunbroker where they want your personal info now to post. It's is NO business of any forum where I live, how old I am, or what my SS# is. The only one I have to answer to is the ATF if I break a law. BOYCOTT Gunbroker! They are more intrusive than the federal government!

VGOF

Just don't get like Gunbroker where they want your personal info now to post. It's is NO business of any forum where I live, how old I am, or what my SS# is. The only one I have to answer to is the ATF if I break a law. BOYCOTT Gunbroker! They are more intrusive than the federal government!

Good point. I have no intentions of doing any such thing. As far as I'm concerned, I offer the service online, and what people do with it is up to them. I don't want to know who you are or with whom you're dealing. It's up to the responsibility of those using the site to use it in accordance with the laws that are applicable to their locality (local, state and federal, etc...).

VGOF

Might suggest a section for Firearms Instructors - people are always asking.

Good suggestion, Grapeshot. Thank you for it.

Does this look about right?

Firearm Instruction
- Basic Handgun
- Self/Home Defense
- Advanced Courses

Tess

Founder's Club Member
My editor persona just can't stay quiet -- the plural of "rally" is "rallies"

I like the site, though!

Gil223

Nicely done... however, the "HERITAGE ARMS (Norfolk,VA, Hampton Roads)" is a wheelgun not a "semi-automatic pistol". Pax...;)

VGOF

Nicely done... however, the "HERITAGE ARMS (Norfolk,VA, Hampton Roads)" is a wheelgun not a "semi-automatic pistol". Pax...;)

I don't have much control over which category folks want to post their wheel guns. Maybe I should jut combine Pistols and Revolvers into a single "Handguns" category...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't have much control over which category folks want to post their wheel guns. Maybe I should jut combine Pistols and Revolvers into a single "Handguns" category...

Hope not - no more than combining all guns in one category would be good. Think that a vast majority will get it right.

Would presume that each poster can edit their own posts - you can ill afford to lead each one by the hand.

VGOF

Yes - posts can be edited and deleted by the user who entered them. The edit/delete links are included in the "Verification email" that is sent for each ad.

VGOF

Any other suggestions?

There are quite a few good listings in Virginia, but not many elsewhere, so far. This is a nationwide site - and as Obama would say "All 57 States" could get some good use out of it! http://GunDeals.org

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Just a question (which may or may not be applicable to the site in question as in what it lacks/needs/ect.): Can you sell firearms as private sellers across state lines? I.e. if I want to sell my gun and I am just a normal person, what do I have to do? Can I just accept paypal and then ship off the gun? Do I have to get a FFL and do something with it? Do I need to call in for a background check or whatever?

Okay, so maybe a FAQ might be useful.

VGOF

FAQ - yes. Will do.

I think the answers to your questions are as follows:

Q: Can you sell firearms as private sellers across state lines?
A: No. You may buy a long gun from an FFL in the another state, provided it is legal in both your states. If you purchase a handgun from a dealer or any gun from a private party, they must be sent to an FFL in your home state and you take possession from the dealer. (Some dealers won't accept a transfer from a non-dealer, so check first). A transfer between two non-licensed (non-FFL) people across state lines is a felony.

Q: I.e. if I want to sell my gun and I am just a normal person, what do I have to do?
A: I think FFL holders are normal people too :)

Q: Can I just accept paypal and then ship off the gun?
A: The FAQ will discourage Paypal and shipping of anything, as fraud runs rampant on the internet. The site is intended to allow individuals to facilitate local face-to-face sales.

Q: Do I have to get a FFL and do something with it?
A: Refer to the first answer

Q: Do I need to call in for a background check or whatever?
You can't call in for a background check - only an FFL licensee can. Refer to the first answer.

MainelyGlock

Nice website! Wonder how long it'll be until someone posts something in Maine. UncleHenry's is big here for firearms classifieds.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just a question (which may or may not be applicable to the site in question as in what it lacks/needs/ect.): Can you sell firearms as private sellers across state lines? I.e. if I want to sell my gun and I am just a normal person, what do I have to do? Can I just accept paypal and then ship off the gun? Do I have to get a FFL and do something with it? Do I need to call in for a background check or whatever?

Okay, so maybe a FAQ might be useful.

Without going into all the technicalities and citing every relevant BATFEIEIO regulation, the short answer is, Yes you can.

You transfer the handgun directly to a receiving FFL in the purchaser's state, who conducts the background check and all the other stuff. Your problem is should the purchaser fail the background check the FFL must transfer the firearm back to a FFL in your state who will then transfer it back to you.

Go read/ask BATFEIEIO for the detailed specifics.

stay safe.