• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got my permit (Story and questions)

Insider3

Hello all. I just got my carry permit and will obviously use it to carry. The reason I got my permit is because I do a lot of IT work on my free time. Sometimes I go to small business at night time and stay there pretty late setting up everything. I didn't decide on getting a carry permit until I had a job out in the Greenbrier mall area. I set up an office that deals with Taxes, I stayed there at night working, the place has giant windows so all the people walking by were able to see expensive equipment being set up etc. A group of guys walked by and I heard them saying "we're gonna rob your asses tonight".

With that threat I told the owner to make sure he doesn't leave his computer towers in there overnight and to take them with him, that all he has to do is plug the computers and everything will work when he comes back in the morning. Told him to make sure he gets a surveillance system for his store. Once I started walking to my car, the same group of guys were walking along the side walk, my car was close by, they were making threats about how they can easily jump me and steal my car if they wanted to etc. I'm 6"0 160lbs 26 years old. I am very fit I do workout 5 days a week and am active in sports. But that does not mean I'm a martial artist, I know my limit and those were some big guys and I couldn't take just one out if I wanted to. I didn't want to be in a situation where I'm defenseless during my work, or just in general ever again. So this is why I got my permit.

And finally the questions. I see a lot of you have been here for years etc, even read a few threads so pardon me if I'm asking something that's already been answered, a reply with a link to an already answered question will help me out. So, I'm aware that I can pretty much carry my gun anywhere besides government buildings, places of worship, schools, or private property with "no guns allowed" signs etc.

Question 1. Have any of you OC in any malls in the Cobb county area, have you encountered problems with the LEO there?

Question 2. Entertainment. I occasionally like to go to the Hawks games or Brave games. Obviously it's an area with a lot of people there so I'm not sure if there are minor restrictions since you do get checked before going into these games. Do you have to turn your weapon over to security or can I keep my gun on me in the arenas since I have my permit?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Last edited:

mark5019

Hello all. I just got my carry permit and will obviously use it to carry. The reason I got my permit is because I do a lot of IT work on my free time. Sometimes I go to small business at night time and stay there pretty late setting up everything. I didn't decide on getting a carry permit until I had a job out in the Greenbrier mall area. I set up an office that deals with Taxes, I stayed there at night working, the place has giant windows so all the people walking by were able to see expensive equipment being set up etc. A group of guys walked by and I heard them saying "we're gonna rob your asses tonight".

With that threat I told the owner to make sure he doesn't leave his computer towers in there overnight and to take them with him, that all he has to do is plug the computers and everything will work when he comes back in the morning. Told him to make sure he gets a surveillance system for his store. Once I started walking to my car, the same group of guys were walking along the side walk, my car was close by, they were making threats about how they can easily jump me and steal my car if they wanted to etc. I'm 6"0 160lbs 26 years old. I am very fit I do workout 5 days a week and am active in sports. But that does not mean I'm a martial artist, I know my limit and those were some big guys and I couldn't take just one out if I wanted to. I didn't want to be in a situation where I'm defenseless during my work, or just in general ever again. So this is why I got my permit.

And finally the questions. I see a lot of you have been here for years etc, even read a few threads so pardon me if I'm asking something that's already been answered, a reply with a link to an already answered question will help me out. So, I'm aware that I can pretty much carry my gun anywhere besides government buildings, places of worship, schools, or private property with "no guns allowed" signs etc.

Question 1. Have any of you OC in any malls in the Cobb county area, have you encountered problems with the LEO there?

Question 2. Entertainment. I occasionally like to go to the Hawks games or Brave games. Obviously it's an area with a lot of people there so I'm not sure if there are minor restrictions since you do get checked before going into these games. Do you have to turn your weapon over to security or can I keep my gun on me in the arenas since I have my permit?

Thanks in advance for any replies
well 1 signs in ga have no weight, your not breaking any law in ga if you ignore a sign that says no weapons, as to malls its dicey if they see your weapon and ask you to leave do so with out a fuss .

and look at this site for better answers

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/index.php?sid=a9e3900ec4a1dc1f44080a2f96f09ebc

Ruta #12

I wouldn't bring my weapon to an arena, it can be considered a place of gathering and you won't get far with security. As far as places with signs, they hold no weight and I tend to not give them my business. Stay safe

Dion Ruta
MA3/USN

Kingfish

I wouldn't bring my weapon to an arena, it can be considered a place of gathering and you won't get far with security. As far as places with signs, they hold no weight and I tend to not give them my business. Stay safe

Dion Ruta
MA3/USN
What is a "place of gathering" and what in Georgia LAW disallows carry at such?

Fallschirjmäger

As of a few years ago, there is no longer a "public gathering" clause in the Georgia Code.
Now, there are only specifically enumerated places at which it is illegal for a non-exempt individual to carry a weapon (although the 'enumerated places' can be a bit vague and confusing since it's not settled law as yet.)

Kingfish

As of a few years ago, there is no longer a "public gathering" clause in the Georgia Code.
Now, there are only specifically enumerated places at which it is illegal for a non-exempt individual to carry a weapon (although the 'enumerated places' can be a bit vague and confusing since it's not settled law as yet.)
And apparently Turner Field is not government owned so carry there MAY be legal. I have heard of many people carrying. Including those that are well versed in GA law. I suppose if a government entity is using a room in the complex to have a meeting the whole building would be off limits....But that could be true of Chuck E Cheese or anywhere else. As Fall said, quite complicated.
IANAL YMMV

combatcarry

And apparently Turner Field is not government owned so carry there MAY be legal. I have heard of many people carrying. Including those that are well versed in GA law. I suppose if a government entity is using a room in the complex to have a meeting the whole building would be off limits....But that could be true of Chuck E Cheese or anywhere else. As Fall said, quite complicated.
IANAL YMMV

What exactly is he carry situation at Turner Field? It appears legal. Do they search at the gate?

Like the oriinal poster I would also like to hear comments on the Atlanta Hawks games and even (for me) the Cool Ray Field where the Gwinett Braves play.

Kingfish

What exactly is he carry situation at Turner Field? It appears legal. Do they search at the gate?

Like the oriinal poster I would also like to hear comments on the Atlanta Hawks games and even (for me) the Cool Ray Field where the Gwinett Braves play.
No personal experience but looks like they do do limited searches and sometimes wanding at braves games. Coolray field looks like it is owned by the county...You will want to do your research.

xenophon

• :eek: to the guys harassing you. Sounds like that was a typical "interview" to see if they were going to press robbing you or not. Take those very very seriously. They try to make them benign, but believe me, it's a clear and present danger threat. Always carry!!

phil1979

Coolray Field (Gwinnett Stadium) is owned by Gwinnett County and as it is a public building, it is legal to carry at, until such a time that it qualifies as a "government building" under 16-11-127 and has weapons screening.

But don't OC there yet. Gwinnett PD thinks it's "private property" and believes that the Braves can ban weapons there.

This issue isn't going away. We will win this eventually. HB 60 and HB 492 has gone a long way toward strengthening state preemption.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
  • :eek: to the guys harassing you. Sounds like that was a typical "interview" to see if they were going to press robbing you or not. Take those very very seriously. They try to make them benign, but believe me, it's a clear and present danger threat. Always carry!!

I've only been "interviewed" twice, but the response, "Big talk, little guys." has thus far worked for me.

I'm the scary/weird/creepy guy most people avoid, so it fits for me... YMMV.

Maverick9

Did you photograph these guys who apparently showed up twice making threats? If not, why not?

Did you report those threats and call the cops? If not, why not?

You, alone and by yourself can not take on a gang, nor should you want to.

Get pictures, get information, record their threats on a cell phone or audio recorder, present this EVIDENCE to the authorities.

Last edited: