• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OC at a car show

s&w_M&P_owner

Hey guys. I've been OC'ing around Reidsville for about 2 months now, and so far have had really good luck and no problems. I do have a question about carrying at a car show though. Anyone who lives in Reidsville (I don't think many of us do though :p) knows that every year, from the 2nd Friday in April to the 2nd Friday in September, the EZ Street Car Cruisers have a car show in Downtown. They close off most of Downtown for this event as well. The question I have is: I know that we have a law that prohibits carry at public gatherings, such as parades. Would a car show fall under this category as well? Another issue may be that we have a lot of LEO's there as well (mostly watching the roads they blocked off, and then there's one who rides around in a little electric vehicle as well, that may make it not a good idea to OC there. Thank you.

Last edited:

J_Oliver

I do believe that depends on whether or not the organizers had to obtain a parade permit. Whether or not the police are there should be of no concern. They don't deter me and I've been OC'ing for around a year or so (give or take) without incident. Knock on wood... but, that could be splitting hairs a bit with that law. Even if they're not required a parade permit, the event itself may still fall under the definition of a parade.

Merriam-Webster defines a "Parade" as such:

1pa·rade
noun \pə-ˈrād\
Definition of PARADE
: a pompous show : exhibition

a : the ceremonial formation of a body of troops before a superior officer
b : a place where troops assemble regularly for parade

a : an informal procession
b : a public procession
c : a usually lengthy array or succession <a parade of visitors>

a : a place for strolling
b : those who promenade

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

J_Oliver

So I should contact the EZ Street Car Cruisers Club and find out if they had to obtain a parade permit?

Technically yes, however IANAL and it could still fall under the definition of a parade by the activity alone. I would consult someone that can give you actual legal advice. I can tell you yes all day and you still get arrested. Take my non-legal opinion for what it is. My opinion.

s&w_M&P_owner

Alright, I've sent Roy Cooper an email about the subject. If I can't anywhere there, I'll try our county sheriff, then a lawyer. Thanks for the help :). I'll post back here with what I hear back.

ArmySoldier22

Alright, I've sent Roy Cooper an email about the subject. If I can't anywhere there, I'll try our county sheriff, then a lawyer. Thanks for the help :). I'll post back here with what I hear back.

STAY AWAY FROM ASKING ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT ANYTHING AT ALL lol. Never ask somebody who works in law enforcement about laws, ESPECIALLY when it comes to carrying a firearm. I'd skip going to the sheriff, and go straight to the lawyer. I don't know who your sheriff is, he may be a cool guy and he may be pro gun. But very few people that work in law enforcement ever seem to know much about the laws concerning carrying..

J_Oliver

STAY AWAY FROM ASKING ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT ANYTHING AT ALL lol. Never ask somebody who works in law enforcement about laws, ESPECIALLY when it comes to carrying a firearm. I'd skip going to the sheriff, and go straight to the lawyer. I don't know who your sheriff is, he may be a cool guy and he may be pro gun. But very few people that work in law enforcement ever seem to know much about the laws concerning carrying..

+1 I missed the part about him asking Roy Cooper. I was all for him asking the lawyer though.

ArmySoldier22

+1 I missed the part about him asking Roy Cooper. I was all for him asking the lawyer though.

AG's are usually full of information...but they almost Never share it with the public.. they always gives the excuse that they can't advise you on what you should do, even if you're not asking for advice, you're just wanting to know what the law says. I think of them like being Google for laws, except with a password lock on it that nobody knows lol. There's been a few people on here that have tried to go through the attorney general office for their area, and always got stone walled. But hey, if they give the OP some information, I guess miracles do happen lol.

I'd still talk to a lawyer though, no matter what they say "which will most likely be nothing". As J_Oliver mentioned, it's pretty much your best bet.

aosailor

I don't KNOW the answer to your question, but Mooresville has the same thing every summer. 1st sat of the mnth main street is shut down and everybody brings out their classic cars, PARKS them in the street and everybody checks them out for a few hours. I've OC'd at this car show many times, no problems.

Just my personal experiences

chiefjason

Let this be your guide.

14‑277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. Violation of this subsection shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor. It shall be presumed that any rifle or gun carried on a rack in a pickup truck at a holiday parade or in a funeral procession does not violate the terms of this act.
(b) For the purposes of this section the term "dangerous weapon" shall include those weapons specified in G.S. 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑284.1, or 14‑288.8 or any other object capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death when used as a weapon.
(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b) or to persons authorized by State or federal law to carry dangerous weapons in the performance of their duties or to any person who obtains a permit to carry a dangerous weapon at a parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration from the sheriff or police chief, whichever is appropriate, of the locality where such parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration is to take place.

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-277.2.html

aosailor

the question that needs to be answered is "Is the car show considered a parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration?"

dont mean to digress, but what about small town fairs or festivals? What would they be considered?

Moresville has like 5 little festivals a year where they block off a few blocks and businesses set up tents to sell their stuff, roach coaches passing out pretzles and that fried dough stuff covered in powder sugar. kids getting their face painted and local bands playing. I OC at these events too, never had an issue....

J_Oliver

the question that needs to be answered is "Is the car show considered a parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration?"

dont mean to digress, but what about small town fairs or festivals? What would they be considered?

Moresville has like 5 little festivals a year where they block off a few blocks and businesses set up tents to sell their stuff, roach coaches passing out pretzles and that fried dough stuff covered in powder sugar. kids getting their face painted and local bands playing. I OC at these events too, never had an issue....

And hell, that may be the case for the OP's situation. I've OC'd at a few myself in small towns and not had any problems. But that's a choice the OP's gonna have to make. I'm just attempting to give him the means to answer his question.

cap-n-ball

There is a guy in my Pontiac club that works security at AutoFair at Charlotte Motor Speedway and I'll post his question to him at next weeks meeting. He'll likely know what you can and cannot do at an event such as a cruise or show.

ncwabbit

do they block off the area to try to collect an admission per se to the car show or small town fair area? the car shows in denver areas did that to get monies to continue their car club activities...

wabbit

aosailor

do they block off the area to try to collect an admission per se to the car show or small town fair area? the car shows in denver areas did that to get monies to continue their car club activities...

wabbit

the car show here in Mooresville ask for "donations" to enter the show. its not required nor do they only except money, ask for food to. (goes to the local food bank)
te festivals here have always been free... but I'm not the OP....

Web Design Guy

Im new here but not new to OCing, I think that it will come down to if they want to charge it. I know a lot of LEOs and I have a lawyer on retainer for my business and like he tells me about so many things, it's up to the judge to interpret the law. So if they "want" to come down on you they probably can and will succeed in a charge of some type. This type of event would be something i would choose to CC if you are permitted to do so.

I second the part the previous poster made about asking an LEO, i respect them tremendously but their views on OC are a bit skewed so getting a straight, correct answer would be hard.