• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

concealed carry question

bigl0af

i know this is an open carry forum but i know no better place to ask...

state law requires you to have a concealed carry permit to carry concealed, with one exception being that you can conceal without permit if you are on your own private property. do i understand this right?

if this is in fact true, how does this apply to concealed carry without permit in private communities? since it is all private, common area that i pay dues to maintain, does this mean no permit is required to carry concealed in my own private, planned, community?

thanks!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

J_Oliver

First off, if you open carry, you don't have to worry about it. That being out of the way, I believe concealed carry wihout a permit only applies to places under your direct possession and where the lawful owners or "possessor" give you permission. I can carry concealed around my house and yard. And I can carry concealed around the apartment complex I work at because my property manager gives me permission to. Now, I have a concealed carry permit so it doesn't matter, but if I didn't the above would apply.

THAT BEING SAID... I AM NOT A LAWYER... so if you take my advise and it doesn't fly, ill shake your hand and wish you luck on the way into the courtroom, but I'm not responsible for your actions...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

NC-Heel

Are the roads privately maintained? You would then need permission from whatever entity owns it or principle party in charge of the property. Even though you pays dues you have no legal claim of ownership to common areas.

bigl0af

Roads are privately maintained, and a sign at the entrance clearly states that the community is private property.

I do open carry just about everywhere but sometimes having options is nice. This is especially true since in my community there is a school I must walk past to get to the community green way by the river - don't want some hopolophobe causing a scene because I walked past the school with a gun on an evening walk with my wife.

Btw my private community is massive - riverwood in Clayton if you're familiar with the area.

Medic1210

This is especially true since in my community there is a school I must walk past to get to the community green way by the river

Because of that, you need your concealed carry permit. That is the only way to legally carry within that invisible 1000' gun-free school zone, off the school property of course.

ArmySoldier22

Yes, the anti's tend to visit this forum frequently. So we have to make sure we talk in hypothetical terms when we may or may not be planning or not planning to possibly or not possibly ignore a certain law :p

I ride a motorcycle and OC. Hypothetically, I may go through several school zones while riding since they're Everywhere. "In no way is this an admittance of what I may or may not have done/intend to do"

Last edited:

bigl0af

I'm just saying it's sad that if i wanted to legally carry on my walks i can't unless i put my name in the gun registry aka getting a concealed carry license.

Didn't know about the 1000 foot rule either. My house is damn close to being within that radius, depending on where the boundary is. Does this mean i can't carry openly in my own yard while, say, cutting grass?

ArmySoldier22

I'm just saying it's sad that if i wanted to legally carry on my walks i can't unless i put my name in the gun registry aka getting a concealed carry license.

Didn't know about the 1000 foot rule either. My house is damn close to being within that radius, depending on where the boundary is. Does this mean i can't carry openly in my own yard while, say, cutting grass?

Private property is an exception to the rule. This includes anyone's private property, even a business.

bigl0af

Private property is an exception to the rule. This includes anyone's private property, even a business.

Private property to include a private community? Riverwood, where i live, is an interesting situation because the public school is within the bounds of the private community. You can't drive up to the school entrance without going past the "this is private property" sign.

Something tells me I'll end up having to call the Johnston county sheriff for clarification on these questions - i just like asking my peers for input first :)

94 at Large

Because of that, you need your concealed carry permit. That is the only way to legally carry within that invisible 1000' gun-free school zone, off the school property of course.

Where does it indicate that there is a 1000' rule? Just curious as I have not been able to find anything other than not being allowed to carry on educational property either open or concealed. Mentions nothing about school zones in HB650 that I could glean.

ArmySoldier22

Where does it indicate that there is a 1000' rule? Just curious as I have not been able to find anything other than not being allowed to carry on educational property either open or concealed. Mentions nothing about school zones in HB650 that I could glean.

I can't tell you for sure, I always forget. I'm sure somebody else will chime in. But the 1000' rule is federal law, not state. So that's why you won't find it in HB650