• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Interaction #2

DCR

Good review of the happenings. Nothing I could say that you haven't already thought of, probably, so I'll leave it with also congratulating you for standing up for yourself. "Interviewing" techniques employed by LEO's are interesting, aren't they? Trying to get you to admit to a crime by gentle suggestion - weak sauce. They sure get flustered when you assert your rights and don't fall into the traps they are taught to lay at POST and subsequent trainings, don't they?

As for the Wind[er]bag running for re-election to the senate, there's a write-in candidate from the other party who just announced his candidacy. He only needs 50 votes to be considered a true write-in candidate, and I think, if he views the 2A (and Idaho's equivalent constitutional and statutory provisions) correctly, you should write him in, if anything to send a message to the incumbent that you don't take government intrusion lightly.

Good on ya for your perfectly legal OC in a "sensitive area," and for not letting them get the better of you! I can assure you that there were many bunched panties throughout the capitol mall once word that an OC'er was in the building and nobody could do anything about it because you were perfectly legal, pleasant and nonthreatening. We need more like you.

DCR

You missed my point about the bunched panties-perhaps it was inartfully put.

You see, when there's a MWAG noted by LEO's and/or capitol mall rentacops, word spreads like wildfire. Email systems are quickly overtaxed by administrative assistants sending, reading and forwarding MWAG emails. capitol mall rentacops get word over their radios and run to strategic points to report whether they see the MWAG. They casually tell a friendly worker, or customer behind them in line at the cafeteria in the basement of the LBJ building, and it becomes the talk of every table. People return to their offices, and cubicle workers find a reason to get to a hardwall office, conference or break room on the pretext of "talking shop," and open the conversation on their arrival with "Hey, did you hear there's a MWAG in the capitol?"

These are the bunched panties. Not the LEO's.

I'm not surprised that many elected's and staff CC - back in the day, I waited until the governor's executive order that banned weapons from the capitol mall expired, and CC'd (briefcase, then desk) every day until I left. I know for certain I was the only armed person on many floors. If they only knew....and I knew many avid hunters and trap shooters in the building to whom it would have never occurred to carry to, from and during work. Kind of sad - but I was in a "sensitive" position that largely dealt with unhappy or angry people; 90% of my job involved dealing with government-citizen conflict, and the citizens were hot about something.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Keith Cromm LEO Interaction #2

(originally posted on IdahoOpenCarry.org in the Forum section under "Stories".)

The IdahoOpenCarry.org OC Etiquette page was recently updated specifically in regards to point #5 ~ Interaction with LEOs.

Here is another 'real-world' LEO Interaction regarding such Etiquette. To me, such "etiquette" should almost be required. As well, it seems counter to (me to) have a vid-camera when we OC; counter = another device to distract us when we are purporting to OC for the purpose of self-defense yet at the same time, disappointingly, we need to defend ourselves "legally".
That'll learn ya. A audio recorder, modern versions, will record all day long. ON when ya walk out your front door, OFF when you walk back in at the end of the day. No distraction(s).

Those (in the general sense) LEOs will make contact again LE can not help themselves. They will give you 'evidence' of their 'harassment' and possibly illegal actions AND words. Nothing more public than the capital building. Hold every state agent accountable, every time. Request the video after each visit. Archive it along with your audio even when nothing occurs.

A picture can speak a thousand words, but, there is nothing like a LEOs voice, in a courtroom to set the record straight.

Keep on, keeping on. Well done....go back to the capital, often.

ecocks

I still say that you will get traction on this only if you put a dozen or more OC'ers in the building AT THE SAME TIME.

The ISP do not have the resources to harass 12 citizens, each heading to the offices of different representatives and senators or strolling to the snack bar, SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Get the group, enter, disperse and let your representatives and senators know this is an important issue to YOU, a voter from their district.

ManInBlack

I've been wanting to OC at the Capitol for some time now. To me, it is possibly the most important site in the state to exercise our first freedom. Not to threaten or intimidate, but merely to acknowledge that America's tradition of limited, constitutional, republican government was born through arms in the hands of citizens, and is protected by the same today.

While this upcoming weekend might not be good for folks celebrating Easter with their families, maybe we should organize something for the next. What say you all?