Thread: TN Handgun Law

TN Handgun Law

First up, a little background info:

I'm less than 21, live in rural area, have been surrounded by guns my entire life, own four long guns.

On topic: Maybe I've overlooked or misread or something, but from what I'm gathering is this: You only have to be 21 to purchase a handgun. I don't see anything (could have overlooked) saying you must be 21 to own a handgun. My father has had a Hi-Point for several years and recently bought a new S&W for defense. He is going to pass the Hi-Point to me. Now I know it can still be in his name and technically his and it stay in my room and I shoot it in the backyard and stuff, I'm just curious as to whether I can legally claim ownership of the handgun being under 21. I know I can't carry it period, and have no intention to. Thanks in advance.

Actually you only have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer, there is no federal or TN law that prohibits a private sale to someone under 21.

The laws in TN on posession by a juvenile say under 18.

So even though you can't get a carry permit, there is nothing that prevents you from owning a handgun or even posessing one anywhere that a permit wouldn't be requried.

There isn't gun registration, so a firearm in TN is not really in anyones name, there is only the name on from 4473 of who purchased, but a firearm could be sold dozens of times after that in private sales with no paperwork at all.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Thank you very much, I wanted to make sure. When I meant in his name, I meant on the initial purchase form. I didn't realize that private transfers were completely legal in TN without paperwork. Guess that explains why I see them a lot.

Excellent site here, one of the nicest and most helpful I've been across. I also agree 100% with your cause. So hopefully you guys will accept someone without a carry permit, I'd like to stick around

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman151 View Post
    Thank you very much, I wanted to make sure. When I meant in his name, I meant on the initial purchase form. I didn't realize that private transfers were completely legal in TN without paperwork. Guess that explains why I see them a lot.

Excellent site here, one of the nicest and most helpful I've been across. I also agree 100% with your cause. So hopefully you guys will accept someone without a carry permit, I'd like to stick around
    It's no problem at all. I joined a few months before I could get my permit as well. Welcome aboard !

Also, if you want to try out some carrying right now (NOT in Tennessee!), visit a few of our neighboring states on your next vacation. Five out of eight of them will allow you to open carry on foot without a permit: MO (subject to local prohibitions), KY, VA, NC, and AL. Seven out of eight of them will, to varying degrees, allow you to carry in a car without a permit: MS, AR (while "traveling," beware that this term is not defined in the law), MO (beware that concealed carry in a car under age 21 is illegal; the law isn't clear on open carry in a car for age 18-20), KY, VA, NC, and GA. I would particularly recommend Kentucky, Virginia, and North Carolina. But, before visiting any of them, check the laws first and ask around on the other respective forums about them.
    "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Nascar24Glock View Post
    It's no problem at all. I joined a few months before I could get my permit as well. Welcome aboard !

Also, if you want to try out some carrying right now (NOT in Tennessee!), visit a few of our neighboring states on your next vacation. Five out of eight of them will allow you to open carry on foot without a permit: MO (subject to local prohibitions), KY, VA, NC, and AL. Seven out of eight of them will, to varying degrees, allow you to carry in a car without a permit: MS, AR (while "traveling," beware that this term is not defined in the law), MO (beware that concealed carry in a car under age 21 is illegal; the law isn't clear on open carry in a car for age 18-20), KY, VA, NC, and GA. I would particularly recommend Kentucky, Virginia, and North Carolina. But, before visiting any of them, check the laws first and ask around on the other respective forums about them.
    Thank you. I go to Fontana to fish sometimes, so next time I'm up that way in and around robinsville, I will be bringing my 9.