• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Handgun Law

Coltman151

First up, a little background info:

I'm less than 21, live in rural area, have been surrounded by guns my entire life, own four long guns.

On topic: Maybe I've overlooked or misread or something, but from what I'm gathering is this: You only have to be 21 to purchase a handgun. I don't see anything (could have overlooked) saying you must be 21 to own a handgun. My father has had a Hi-Point for several years and recently bought a new S&W for defense. He is going to pass the Hi-Point to me. Now I know it can still be in his name and technically his and it stay in my room and I shoot it in the backyard and stuff, I'm just curious as to whether I can legally claim ownership of the handgun being under 21. I know I can't carry it period, and have no intention to. Thanks in advance.

Fallguy

Actually you only have to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer, there is no federal or TN law that prohibits a private sale to someone under 21.

The laws in TN on posession by a juvenile say under 18.

So even though you can't get a carry permit, there is nothing that prevents you from owning a handgun or even posessing one anywhere that a permit wouldn't be requried.

There isn't gun registration, so a firearm in TN is not really in anyones name, there is only the name on from 4473 of who purchased, but a firearm could be sold dozens of times after that in private sales with no paperwork at all.

Coltman151

Thank you very much, I wanted to make sure. When I meant in his name, I meant on the initial purchase form. I didn't realize that private transfers were completely legal in TN without paperwork. Guess that explains why I see them a lot.

Excellent site here, one of the nicest and most helpful I've been across. I also agree 100% with your cause. So hopefully you guys will accept someone without a carry permit, I'd like to stick around

Nascar24Glock

Thank you very much, I wanted to make sure. When I meant in his name, I meant on the initial purchase form. I didn't realize that private transfers were completely legal in TN without paperwork. Guess that explains why I see them a lot.

Excellent site here, one of the nicest and most helpful I've been across. I also agree 100% with your cause. So hopefully you guys will accept someone without a carry permit, I'd like to stick around

It's no problem at all. I joined a few months before I could get my permit as well. Welcome aboard :lol::banana::monkey!

Also, if you want to try out some carrying right now (NOT in Tennessee!), visit a few of our neighboring states on your next vacation. Five out of eight of them will allow you to open carry on foot without a permit: MO (subject to local prohibitions), KY, VA, NC, and AL. Seven out of eight of them will, to varying degrees, allow you to carry in a car without a permit: MS, AR (while "traveling," beware that this term is not defined in the law), MO (beware that concealed carry in a car under age 21 is illegal; the law isn't clear on open carry in a car for age 18-20), KY, VA, NC, and GA. I would particularly recommend Kentucky, Virginia, and North Carolina. But, before visiting any of them, check the laws first and ask around on the other respective forums about them.

Coltman151

It's no problem at all. I joined a few months before I could get my permit as well. Welcome aboard :lol::banana::monkey!

Also, if you want to try out some carrying right now (NOT in Tennessee!), visit a few of our neighboring states on your next vacation. Five out of eight of them will allow you to open carry on foot without a permit: MO (subject to local prohibitions), KY, VA, NC, and AL. Seven out of eight of them will, to varying degrees, allow you to carry in a car without a permit: MS, AR (while "traveling," beware that this term is not defined in the law), MO (beware that concealed carry in a car under age 21 is illegal; the law isn't clear on open carry in a car for age 18-20), KY, VA, NC, and GA. I would particularly recommend Kentucky, Virginia, and North Carolina. But, before visiting any of them, check the laws first and ask around on the other respective forums about them.

Thank you. I go to Fontana to fish sometimes, so next time I'm up that way in and around robinsville, I will be bringing my 9.