• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jackson County refuses to honor Safety Course that meets ORS requirements

We-the-People

So a close friend attempted to get her CHL using the Maryland State Police, Gun Safety Course (online) to satisfy the ORS 166.291(f) requirement. The clerk wouldn't accept the certificate without checking with her Sergeant. After about a month with no response, my friend contacted them to follow up.

Their reply was (QUOTED emphasis added)

Sheriff Winters asked me to respond to your request. First of all let me apologize for the delay in getting an answer to you. I was reassigned temporarily for the last month or so and did not see your initial request.

As you may know, there are a number of different courses which have recently become available on line purporting to satisfy the requirements of ORS 166.291 (f). Unfortunately not all of those available meet the requirements. I have personally contacted the Maryland Police Training Commission and learned from them that the course curriculum does not meet the Oregon requirements. I was informed that the course in question is simply a brief introductory course for Maryland residents only and for the sole purpose of receiving a certificate of completion necessary for the purchase of a weapon in Maryland. It does not include the specific Oregon requirement of "handgun safety" as a component of the course.

Unfortunately we are unable to accept the Maryland Police Training Commission's certificate of completion as demonstration of competency with a handgun. If you have further questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Sgt. Bob Grantham
Supervisor, Civil Division

So....what are the Oregon requirements? ORS 166.291(f) says:

166.291 (f) Demonstrates competence with a handgun by any one of the following:

(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;​

So.....the Maryland State Police course (available here: http://mdgunsafety.com/ ) is SPECIFICALLY TITLED "Firearms Safety Training".

AND..,...ORS 166.291(f)(c) ONLY requires that handgun safety be "A COMPONENT OF THE COURSE".

So why isn't the Jackson County Sheriff's department abiding by the state law?

Unfotunately, my friend wants her CHL more than she wants to force the issue so she's already obtained an "acceptable" certificate....I will probably contact O.F.F. but wanted to put it out there to see what you all think first.

VW_Factor

Yeah. I'd really hit up Kevin with that.

Also, I might take in a copy of the law highlighted appropriately to the sheriff there, perhaps with appointment to "chat" about something. Perhaps as an interview?

Edit : Also, first I've heard of the Maryland course not "working".

Last edited:

We-the-People

She did cite the law to the Sheriff and the officer that replied cited the correct part right back to her. They apparently just can't realize that the law only requires handgun safety to BE A COMPONENT of a class and that there is no requirement for any knowledge of Oregon Law (lord knows you don't get that from the cops or most certified trainers anyway...well the CORRECT law).

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I used the Maryland online course for a Benton county CHL and it worked fine. The course doesn't cover much (legal aspects to lethal defense, concealed carry best practices, holsters, clothing considerations, tips on how to properly shoot), but it definitely covers safety. Safety seems to be what the Oregon CHL law deems to be the important bit, and thus it should qualify.

We-the-People

HANDGUN safety must be a component and stated, not just FIREARMS safety in general

Handgun safety is a component of the course. In fact, they use handgun slides for the safety instruction. Since handgun safety is a component (i.e. it need not be the entire focus) of the course, it meets the requirements of the ORS.

When my friend took an "acceptable to the JaCo SO" course I got the opportunity to sit in. There were only a couple of issues where the instructor was wrong....for instance:
1) Stating that the police have the right to inspect your firearm if you are in a "public place".---The law (ORS 166.380) allows police to inspect your weapon in a "public building" but no law authorizes them to do so if you are in a "public place". Of course if they have RAS then we are dealing not with an "inspection" of the weapon but rather, an investigation....a totally different animule (sp on purpose).

2) Stating that you can't carry at the airport terminal because it is federal property.---The airport terminal is county property and there is no restriction if you hold a CHL. The O.F.F. fought this against the Port of Portland a few years back and finally got them to back off on their unlawful firearms prohibitions. While you can't take a firearm into the TSA controlled area (i.e. beyond the junk grabbers), the terminal is not off limits.

3) Calling the new OUS policy "law" when in fact it is merely an internal policy based on contract law with no force of criminal law. Carrying on an OUS campus is NOT a crime under any statute. It is merely a violation of their stated (and contrary to state law) policy. Unless they spot a firearm and then trespass a student/vendor/faculty member who then refuses to leave, there would be no violation of the law. It is questionable if they can legally trespass a person who has legitimate business on public property but let's throw them a little bone.

Then again, the "accepted" course didn't have much about "handgun safety", far less than the MD course, and much more about where you can and can't carry (though some was incorrect) and when you can or can't legally shoot.

Maybe they figure the "when you can and can't shoot" part to be "handgun safety" because it may help to keep someone from getting hurt?

We-the-People

Well I'll be sure to mention to Kevin (when I get something put together), what counties have (properly) accepted it in the past.

Anyone else that's used the MAD course sucessfully?