• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trust But Verify: Lessons for the Empirical Evaluation of Law and Policy.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2026957 95 KB 17 pages

http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2012/03/new-paper-trust-but-verify-lessons-for.html#links
John R. Lott said:
I hope that a lot of people download this paper (available here). Here is the abstract of the paper:
MLMZ said:
In a recent article, Aneja, Donohue and Zhang claim that they are unable to replicate the regressions published by the National Research Council in Chapter 6 of Firearms and Violence. They conclude that the NRC regressions must have been based on bad data supplied by John Lott. The implication is that earlier studies that found that right-to-carry laws reduced crime were flawed because of bad data. However, we can replicate the NRC results with Lott’s original data and with the data set used by the NRC. The earlier studies are not flawed by bad data.
For those unfamiliar with the controversy, John J. Donohue is a Stanford University economist and professor of law, best known for his criticism of More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws.

Dreamer

I would suggest that someone do some research into where Donahue's research funding comes from. I think THAT information would be more revealing as to the truth and veracity of anything Mr. Donahue has to say than anything that may be gleaned from arcane statistical analysis, but it's good that someone in academia has proved his claims to be false.

Follow the money...