Thread: Wisconsin FBI NICS check numbers available. Good job Wisconsin!

Herr Heckler Koch

Wisconsin FBI NICS check numbers available. Good job Wisconsin!

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...s_19982012.pdf 85 KB 15 pages

2012 Wisconsin 43,852 47,912 2012 total 91,764
    2011 Wisconsin 13,328 17,288 23,330 19,630 14,313 13,675 14,162 19,017 21,701 24,984 73,346 67,987 2011 total 322,761

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Thanks for the data, Herr Koch. Just skimming over the numbers, Kentucky, with a population of 4,339,367 (28th in the nation) has by far the most number of NICS checks. Kentucky's combined NICS checks from just 2010, 2011, and the beginning of 2012 are more than their total population!
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Herr Heckler Koch

Yeah. Don't miss the fibbies caveat ...

"These statistics represent the number of firearm background checks initiated through the NICS. They do not represent the number of firearms sold. Based on varying state laws and purchase scenarios, a one-to-one correlation cannot be made between a firearm background check and a firearm sale."

"[A] one-to-one correlation" is more than just a correlation. I believe that is the definition of function, "a function is a correspondence from a set of inputs to a set of outputs that associates each input with exactly one output."

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    Thanks for the data, Herr Koch. Just skimming over the numbers, Kentucky, with a population of 4,339,367 (28th in the nation) has by far the most number of NICS checks. Kentucky's combined NICS checks from just 2010, 2011, and the beginning of 2012 are more than their total population!
    Sounds like KY is stocking up. Those jerks are taking all our firearms!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    "These statistics represent the number of firearm background checks initiated through the NICS. They do not represent the number of firearms sold. Based on varying state laws and purchase scenarios, a one-to-one correlation cannot be made between a firearm background check and a firearm sale."

"[A] one-to-one correlation" is more than just a correlation. I believe that is the definition of function, "a function is a correspondence from a set of inputs to a set of outputs that associates each input with exactly one output."
    Impressive numbers! Thanks for the information and the link!

I always like it when the Libbies say it doesn't mean that is how many guns were sold. Ah....yes...we all go to the FFL and fill out 4473's and Wisconsin Handgun Buyer forms and pay the fee ($15?) just to see if it will go through. Yep! That's what I do. Every week I fill out those forms, pay the fee just to add to the total NICS done in Wisconsin.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Don't forget, some states use a state background check for certain purchases (like MI does for handguns), thus such numbers wouldn't be represented in the NICS check
    Rand Paul 2016

As HHK says in some cases the numbers can be misleading. Wisconsin uses NICS for long gun purchases only. Handgun purchases have a state check only. However, all CCL license background checks use both a State criminal check and a NICS check. The Wisconsin NICS numbers might be compromised by the 90,000+ CCL checks made and handgun sales that don't require a NICS check, therefore aren't recorded by the FBI.

Thank you HHK for the link.
    Last edited by Captain Nemo; 03-27-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Wink NICS overload!

I went over to the Kentucky forum and asked them about all the NICS checks. It turns out that Kentucky runs a monthly NICS check on all license holders in their system!
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    I went over to the Kentucky forum and asked them about all the NICS checks. It turns out that Kentucky runs a monthly NICS check on all license holders in their system!
    Pay careful attention when researching these numbers. Most sources cancel out the checks ran on cdwl holders, and only recognize the actual firearm checks performed. Even then it is misleading, because we that have cdwl's do not have the NICS check ran when we purchase firearms. Also remember that Ky has the highest firearm ownership rate in the country, so we do buy a major amount of new firearms every year.