• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin FBI NICS check numbers available. Good job Wisconsin!

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Thanks for the data, Herr Koch. Just skimming over the numbers, Kentucky, with a population of 4,339,367 (28th in the nation) has by far the most number of NICS checks. Kentucky's combined NICS checks from just 2010, 2011, and the beginning of 2012 are more than their total population! :shocker:

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Yeah. Don't miss the fibbies caveat ...

"These statistics represent the number of firearm background checks initiated through the NICS. They do not represent the number of firearms sold. Based on varying state laws and purchase scenarios, a one-to-one correlation cannot be made between a firearm background check and a firearm sale."

"[A] one-to-one correlation" is more than just a correlation. I believe that is the definition of function, "a function is a correspondence from a set of inputs to a set of outputs that associates each input with exactly one output."

protias

Thanks for the data, Herr Koch. Just skimming over the numbers, Kentucky, with a population of 4,339,367 (28th in the nation) has by far the most number of NICS checks. Kentucky's combined NICS checks from just 2010, 2011, and the beginning of 2012 are more than their total population! :shocker:

Sounds like KY is stocking up. Those jerks are taking all our firearms! :lol:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
"These statistics represent the number of firearm background checks initiated through the NICS. They do not represent the number of firearms sold. Based on varying state laws and purchase scenarios, a one-to-one correlation cannot be made between a firearm background check and a firearm sale."

"[A] one-to-one correlation" is more than just a correlation. I believe that is the definition of function, "a function is a correspondence from a set of inputs to a set of outputs that associates each input with exactly one output."

Impressive numbers! Thanks for the information and the link!

I always like it when the Libbies say it doesn't mean that is how many guns were sold. Ah....yes...we all go to the FFL and fill out 4473's and Wisconsin Handgun Buyer forms and pay the fee ($15?) just to see if it will go through. Yep! That's what I do. Every week I fill out those forms, pay the fee just to add to the total NICS done in Wisconsin.

Yooper

Don't forget, some states use a state background check for certain purchases (like MI does for handguns), thus such numbers wouldn't be represented in the NICS check

Captain Nemo

As HHK says in some cases the numbers can be misleading. Wisconsin uses NICS for long gun purchases only. Handgun purchases have a state check only. However, all CCL license background checks use both a State criminal check and a NICS check. The Wisconsin NICS numbers might be compromised by the 90,000+ CCL checks made and handgun sales that don't require a NICS check, therefore aren't recorded by the FBI.

Thank you HHK for the link.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I went over to the Kentucky forum and asked them about all the NICS checks. It turns out that Kentucky runs a monthly NICS check on all license holders in their system!

Pay careful attention when researching these numbers. Most sources cancel out the checks ran on cdwl holders, and only recognize the actual firearm checks performed. Even then it is misleading, because we that have cdwl's do not have the NICS check ran when we purchase firearms. Also remember that Ky has the highest firearm ownership rate in the country, so we do buy a major amount of new firearms every year.