• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Controversy Over Gun Shop New Teen Center In Woodbridge

IH8SPM

No mention of any interviews with pro gun rights folks. Add them to the gun shop post when they open up.

Superlite27

Evidently, the media in Woodbridge is outraged that a shop teaching firearms safety is opening.

Someone should call and ask them why they're so deadset against a business that offers safety courses. Do they want folks to remain ignorant of firearms safety and be dangerous? Why do they want to endanger the community by rousing public angst against a business offering safety classes? Are they truly, indeed, that cold and heartless that they would deny folks an education that would teach them to be safe? What do they have against safety? Why are they against it? Do they hate the community so much that they would risk people's lives like this? What did the citizens of Woodbridge ever do to them to deserve having their safety training subjected to such public ridicule?

Why does the news media hate children so much?

AGust82

I can't believe this is even "news." You'd never see this kind of nonsense regarding a marijuana/tobacco pipe shop. One in every plaza.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP why they're so deadset against a business that offers safety courses. Do they want folks to remain ignorant of firearms safety and be dangerous? Why do they want to endanger the community by rousing public angst against a business offering safety classes? Are they truly, indeed, that cold and heartless that they would deny folks an education that would teach them to be safe? What do they have against safety? Why are they against it? Do they hate the community so much that they would risk people's lives like this?

Mark Twain offers a very good answer in Journalism in Tennessee. As you can see from the excerpt, when you print all kinds of garbage, people take offense and come after you. Journalists don't like guns because they don't like the idea of their victims coming after them. Twain's editor (in the fictional story) is correcting his copy:

"We observe that the besotted blackguard of the Mud Springs Morning Howl is giving out, with his usual propensity for lying, that Van Werter is not elected. The heaven-born mission of journalism is to disseminate truth: to eradicate error; to educate, refine, and elevate the tone of public morals and manners, and make all men more gentle, more virtuous, more charitable, and in all ways better, and holier, and happier; and yet this black-hearted scoundrel degrades his great office persistently to the dissemination of falsehood, calumny, vituperation, and vulgarity."...

"Now that is the way to write--peppery and to the point. Mush-and-milk journalism gives me the fan-tods."

About this time a brick came through the window with a splintering crash, and gave me a considerable of a jolt in the back. I moved out of range--I began to feel in the way.

The chief said: "That was the Colonel, likely. I've been expecting him for two days. He will be up now right away."

He was correct. The Colonel appeared in the door a moment afterwards with a dragoon revolver in his hand.

He said: "Sir, have I the honor of addressing the poltroon who edits this mangy sheet?"

"You have. Be seated, sir. Be careful of the chair, one of its legs is gone. I believe I have the honor of addressing the putrid liar, Colonel Blatherskite Tecumseh?"

"Right, sir. I have a little account to settle with you. If you are at leisure we will begin."

"I have an article on the 'Encouraging Progress of Moral and Intellectual Development in America' to finish, but there is no hurry. Begin."

Both pistols rang out their fierce clamor at the same instant. The chief lost a lock of his hair, and the Colonel's bullet ended its career in the fleshy part of my thigh. The Colonel's left shoulder was clipped a little. They fired again. Both missed their men this time, but I got my share, a shot in the arm. At the third fire both gentlemen were wounded slightly, and I had a knuckle chipped. I then said I believed I would go out and take a walk, as this was a private matter, and I had a delicacy about participating in it further. But both gentlemen begged me to keep my seat, and assured me that I was not in the way...

This excerpt was pulled from the middle of the story. You can read the whole thing at the link below. Its hilarious and well worth the 5 minutes or so.

http://www.online-literature.com/twain/wild-oats/2/

SwampYankee

Woodbridge is a very strange place. I went to high school there. It is a very liberal, very wealthy town, full of people that are completely out of touch with reality. Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being a liberal, I am one, but Woodbridge is full of your stereotypical anti-gun liberals. What is really ironic is that they want to put the gun shop in Amity. Amity is in an area known as "the flats". It's relatively depressed compared to the rest of the town and right on the border with New Haven, which is a major crime-ridden-toilet of a city. On the other border of Woodbridge is Seymour, with two gun shops right on the line, on the other border is Bethany, with another gun shop right on the line.

The whole thing is ridiculous on many levels.

CTSurvivor

On the other border of Woodbridge is Seymour, with two gun shops right on the line, on the other border is Bethany, with another gun shop right on the line.

The whole thing is ridiculous on many levels.

Where are these two gun stores in Seymour you speak of?

SwampYankee

Where are these two gun stores in Seymour you speak of?

Both of them are downtown (so if you're coming out of Woodbridge, you would be driving down 67). The first one is Mitz Arms and Ammo/Northeast Sporting Goods- two dealers in one shop, right next to the Strand Theater. The second one is the pawn shop on Route 67, heading towards the Stop and Shop. They used to sell guns but I think they got in trouble with the ATF, I am not sure how many they sell nowadays. The place near the Stand Theater is pretty neat. They have a ton of rifles and a good selection of handguns. Definitely worth the visit, because it is two dealers in one building they have a lot of stuff.

CTSurvivor

Both of them are downtown (so if you're coming out of Woodbridge, you would be driving down 67). The first one is Mitz Arms and Ammo/Northeast Sporting Goods- two dealers in one shop, right next to the Strand Theater. The second one is the pawn shop on Route 67, heading towards the Stop and Shop. They used to sell guns but I think they got in trouble with the ATF, I am not sure how many they sell nowadays. The place near the Stand Theater is pretty neat. They have a ton of rifles and a good selection of handguns. Definitely worth the visit, because it is two dealers in one building they have a lot of stuff.

There is only one gun store in Seymour. It is co-owned by Glen and Gary, both retired Milford cops who were partners on the PD job. There is a picture on the wall of them at the range in uniform. I wouldn't go overboard saying a ton of rifles being there is less than 40 but there are a bunch. No doubt though they get the most out of their 400-500 square feet.

As for Seymour Pawn, they have not sold guns there for at least 6 plus years after Jim shot himself in the foot from a NG. Who would have thought someone who has a permit and a gun dealer, doesn't know how to clear a 1911 style 45 caliber pistol. Guess it wasn't pointed in safe direction.

Last edited:

SwampYankee

There is only one gun store in Seymour. It is co-owned by Glen and Gary, both retired Milford cops who were partners on the PD job. There is a picture on the wall of them at the range in uniform. I wouldn't go overboard saying a ton of rifles being there is less than 40 but there are a bunch. No doubt though they get the most out of their 400-500 square feet.

So a bunch of rifles does not equal a ton? Can I go onto google and find a conversion factor? I have no idea what the actual count is. They have a lot of rifles. A heck of a lot more than I have and I own about 20. You seem to approve of the venue but argue my count? Why? And from what I have heard, there is no "co-ownership". It is just two guys in the same location. If you deal with Glen, he gets the profit. If you deal with Gary, he gets the profit. Every piece in the store has one of two different tags on it...

As for Seymour Pawn, they have not sold guns there for at least 6 plus years after Jim shot himself in the foot from a NG. Who would have thought someone who has a permit and a gun dealer, doesn't know how to clear a 1911 style 45 caliber pistol. Guess it wasn't pointed in safe direction.

Your story seems to ring a bell but I am sure some ATF activity was involved. I can't believe it has been six years but maybe so. I have not been there in ages.

But, this is really off topic. The point is that there is at least on gun shop on the Woodbridge border in Seymour. Why should Woodbridge get bent out of shape? They have more cops per capita in that silly little town than any other place in the region. And the crime rate is next to nil. People who buy guns from gun shops are generally not criminals. Why get upset over economic activity that pays taxes?