Thread: NICS Check question concerning Kentucky

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

NICS Check question concerning Kentucky

Hello from Wisconsin. One of the members on our forum posted a link to the FBI NICS check numbers here, and I wondered what Kentucky law says about when a check has to be run? Is it only during the sale of a new gun (handgun? long gun? both?) or is it run every time a gun changes hands? The reason I ask (By the way, I did check your law sticky first...) is that Kentucky, with a population of 4,339,367 (28th in the nation) has by far the most number of NICS checks. Kentucky's combined NICS checks from just 2010, 2011, and the beginning of 2012 (5,081,246) are much more than your total population.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    Hello from Wisconsin. One of the members on our forum posted a link to the FBI NICS check numbers here, and I wondered what Kentucky law says about when a check has to be run? Is it only during the sale of a new gun (handgun? long gun? both?) or is it run every time a gun changes hands? The reason I ask (By the way, I did check your law sticky first...) is that Kentucky, with a population of 4,339,367 (28th in the nation) has by far the most number of NICS checks. Kentucky's combined NICS checks from just 2010, 2011, and the beginning of 2012 (5,081,246) are much more than your total population.
    NICS checks are ran monthly on CDWL. It is ran monthly so that we may use our license to purchase a weapon, as opposed to having the dealer call in each time. All I do is hand my CDWL to the dealer, he writes down the license number on the 4473 and I leave with my gun. Simple.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

Hotrod is right. That would probably be the main reason our numbers are so high. But to fully answer your question the background check is ran every time someone buys a firearm from an FFL but firearms does not have to be transferred through a FFL unless it is 1. from another FFL (usually out of state) or 2. from a private individual selling out of state.

BTW, thanks for pointing out something else I need to add to the Law sticky.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Then if I understand you correctly, every active license issued in Kentucky gets a monthly NICS check. Thanks for the information!
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Is Kentucky the only state running monthly NICS checks on their citizens who have carry permits?