• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am stun to hear that was denied from purchasing a handgun

kawisixer01

Trying to verify that statement, I found an note in/about another state calling a misdemeanor a "mister minor[sic]."

I dunno we only spent about a week and about four assignments on that one subject alone in my juvenile law class a few years ago when I was in the criminal justice program at Blackhawk tech. I'm probably wrong though. :/

Juveniles are charged with Delinquent acts, which may or may not be considered felonies had an adult committed them. In 1995 WI law was changed, it reduced the age that someone could be charged with a felony from 18 to 17, and made it legal for someone as young as 14 to be judicially waivered to adult court in order to be prosecuted with a felony. Realistically a juvenile can't technically be found guilty of a "crime", only delinquent.
When a juvenile commits a crime, he is charged by a probation officer or a prosecutor in a "civil" (ie, not criminal) petition, alleging that he is subject to the Court's Jurisdiction for having violated the statute. If the charges are proved in Juvenile Court, a judicial finding is made that the minor is subject to the Court's broad control and jurisdiction. The Court’s powers include returning the minor home, imposing formal or informal probation; placement with foster care; enrollment in a special school for juvenile offenders, or even commitment to the State’s Juvenile detention center, sometimes called “Juvenile Hall” or the “Juvenile Jail.” This can continue until the minor comes of age, or even until the age of 21 or 25, depending on each state’s laws. Some states have laws allowing that minors 14 or older committing very serious offenses may even be transferred to adult court and prosecuted and punished like an adult. It is therefore a mistake to take the Juvenile Court process lightly.

Hacken

Someone else with a similar name can cause a rejection.

Was the social security number used on the 4477 form?

Maybe try again only put the social on there and ask the caller to include it in the information.

"Oh, not THAT Jim Jones"

If you have a unique or very uncommon name it might not be the problem. But if it's anything near common it could be.

my name is pretty common so there could be a mistake also..we'll just have to sit and wait

bigdaddy1

The SSN is not required on the 4473. It is optional, but unnecessary.

I put mine on because of my brother. I suspect the clerk at Dunham's was too lazy or input the info wrong. They had a big sale and there was a big line waiting to purchase.

Hacken

i got my denial forms from the state today. it came with a idenitifcation for denial to purchase a handgun card where i have to finger printed and send it back. the question is do i do this myself or do i have to go to the local PD? didn't say anything..

Hacken

i'm just totally lost on this. how is it that i buy a state of wisconsin criminal history report and it comes out clean but cabelas(BTW i got denied by them today) tell me the wisconsin handgun hotline denied me?.. it's just frustrating for a first time buyer like me.. it's like i almost just want to call it a day or some thing..

Hacken

Was your 'issue' when you were a juvenile in WI?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

it wasn't that big of a issue. the guys @ cabelas said it should of been cleared when i was 18. same thing i was thinking or else it would of shown on my wisconsin criminal report. anyways going to get my fingers printed or inked to see..

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
For you guys that are talking about being delayed for weeks at a time...if the FFL gets a delayed response and within 72 hours does not receive a definitive answer of ya or nay he, the FFL, can then release the firearm to the purchaser. Obviously it's at the discretion of the FFL but legally he can and if he didn't I would go elswhere.

Yes, that is correct. But if he does the transfer, and the purchaser does come back with a denial, it will get ugly at the purchasers home as law enforcement comes to retrieve that firearm, and the prohibited person who possesses it.
After 15 days, my dealer who typically will not transfer after 72 hours actually called me and told me I could get it if I wanted to, I said I would wait just to see how long this is going to take this time. My last purchase (stripped lower) actually got a proceed in less than 1 week to my surprise. I bet this one takes a month! Disgusting actually!!

Hacken

got all my papers, fingers printed and out the door first class. hopefully when it comes back it's good news..argg

markush

Juvenile records are sealed from the public!!

it wasn't that big of a issue. the guys @ cabelas said it should of been cleared when i was 18. same thing i was thinking or else it would of shown on my wisconsin criminal report. anyways going to get my fingers printed or inked to see..

It's not going to show up in public records because you were a Juvenile! But obviously it's still there for people who have that level of access to see.

Yes, that is correct. But if he does the transfer, and the purchaser does come back with a denial, it will get ugly at the purchasers home as law enforcement comes to retrieve that firearm, and the prohibited person who possesses it.
After 15 days, my dealer who typically will not transfer after 72 hours actually called me and told me I could get it if I wanted to, I said I would wait just to see how long this is going to take this time. My last purchase (stripped lower) actually got a proceed in less than 1 week to my surprise. I bet this one takes a month! Disgusting actually!!

The story from my FFL the one time he released after 72 and then got the call with a denial, was that he had the opportunity to contact the purchaser and asked them to return the firearm...if not then the men in black would come knocking on purchasers door. They returned the firearm to the FFL no MIB came rushing in!

Like I said, if your FFL doesn't release to you after 72 and you know your clear...I would find a different FFL...especialy if you've done business with him before!

Last edited:

BerettaFS92Custom

Expunge Record

Wisconsin Statutes 938.355(4m) allow court records to be expunged automatically as a matter of law only if you are a juvenile, if the juvenile is a first-offender and has adequately complied with the circumstances of his or her dispositional order. An expungement under Wisconsin Statutes 973.015 is flexible with the court unless it is a case involving a first time offense by a juvenile or an offense by a person under 18 relating to the "peeping Tom" laws. Persons concluding probation and not convicted of any later offenses have the chance to get their records expunged as a matter of law. Others eligible for expungement under the statute must have adequately complied with the conditions of his or her dispositional order are subject to the judgment of the court in determining that the juvenile will benefit and that the people of Wisconsin will not be harmed by the expungement.
Wisconsin Statutes 973.015 allows for expungements of juvenile misdemeanor convictions. The person must have been under the age of 21 at the time of the arrest for which the person has been found guilty in a court for violation of a law for which the maximum penalty is one year or less in jail. The court must determine that the juvenile has adequately complied with the conditions of his or her sentence and that the juvenile will benefit and society will not be harmed by the expunction.
You must check the type of criminal conviction you have. Wisconsin Statutes 973.015 also allows for expungements when an individual has successfully completed the sentence if the person has not been arrested for anything else, and if the person was on probation, the probation has not been revoked and the probationer has fulfilled the conditions of probation. You have to also give a completed form DJ-LE-250B, Fingerprint Record Removal Request. You have to write down your contact information, the police agency who arrested you, all your arrest charges, and the disposition of each of the charges on the sheet.
Any record of conviction that the court has ordered to be expunged is not allowed be removed from the Wisconsin criminal history repository because the if you are convicted, this disqualifies that arrest for removal. Conviction of any kind of offense reported on an arrest fingerprint card does not allow taking away of other offenses reported on that arrest card. As required by law, return or deletion of the fingerprint card, simply in those circumstances where any and all offenses on a fingerprint card resulted in no conviction can the fingerprint card be returned or deleted from your record.

Hacken

Wisconsin Statutes 938.355(4m) allow court records to be expunged automatically as a matter of law only if you are a juvenile, if the juvenile is a first-offender and has adequately complied with the circumstances of his or her dispositional order. An expungement under Wisconsin Statutes 973.015 is flexible with the court unless it is a case involving a first time offense by a juvenile or an offense by a person under 18 relating to the "peeping Tom" laws. Persons concluding probation and not convicted of any later offenses have the chance to get their records expunged as a matter of law. Others eligible for expungement under the statute must have adequately complied with the conditions of his or her dispositional order are subject to the judgment of the court in determining that the juvenile will benefit and that the people of Wisconsin will not be harmed by the expungement.
Wisconsin Statutes 973.015 allows for expungements of juvenile misdemeanor convictions. The person must have been under the age of 21 at the time of the arrest for which the person has been found guilty in a court for violation of a law for which the maximum penalty is one year or less in jail. The court must determine that the juvenile has adequately complied with the conditions of his or her sentence and that the juvenile will benefit and society will not be harmed by the expunction.
You must check the type of criminal conviction you have. Wisconsin Statutes 973.015 also allows for expungements when an individual has successfully completed the sentence if the person has not been arrested for anything else, and if the person was on probation, the probation has not been revoked and the probationer has fulfilled the conditions of probation. You have to also give a completed form DJ-LE-250B, Fingerprint Record Removal Request. You have to write down your contact information, the police agency who arrested you, all your arrest charges, and the disposition of each of the charges on the sheet.
Any record of conviction that the court has ordered to be expunged is not allowed be removed from the Wisconsin criminal history repository because the if you are convicted, this disqualifies that arrest for removal. Conviction of any kind of offense reported on an arrest fingerprint card does not allow taking away of other offenses reported on that arrest card. As required by law, return or deletion of the fingerprint card, simply in those circumstances where any and all offenses on a fingerprint card resulted in no conviction can the fingerprint card be returned or deleted from your record.

was 15 at the time and got caught for auto theft. did my probation time, community volunteering time, pay all the fines, and never got caught with the law again. that was quite a long time ago. i am 29yrs old now already.. most likely those papers would be trashed already.

DangerClose

My friend was arrested for stealing a car radio or something when he was a minor. I don't know what the punishment was, but it all was supposed to be expunged when he turned 18 or whatever. Fast-forward 10+ years when he stopped working in the family business and tried getting a job elsewhere... he kept getting denied even an interview, and he couldn't figure out why. He knew someone that could look at all of his records, and his offense when he was a minor was still on there. 3-6 months later, he finally got the state to take it off. So, weird stuff happens sometimes.

Hacken

My friend was arrested for stealing a car radio or something when he was a minor. I don't know what the punishment was, but it all was supposed to be expunged when he turned 18 or whatever. Fast-forward 10+ years when he stopped working in the family business and tried getting a job elsewhere... he kept getting denied even an interview, and he couldn't figure out why. He knew someone that could look at all of his records, and his offense when he was a minor was still on there. 3-6 months later, he finally got the state to take it off. So, weird stuff happens sometimes.

i don't have a problem getting a job but i have a problem getting a permit and handgun. i don't want to pay a lawyer to get this thing off of my record.

Sir Blastalot

been there done that

well...just have to wait to see why i was denied and then go from there.

The main reasons people are denied a purchase is Identity theft or someone with a similar last name or SS# to you has a record.
file the appeal and wait for the reply, be patient it took me 6 months of jumping through hoops. I now have my own pin# I have to use to make a purchase, without it DENIED.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

i don't have a problem getting a job but i have a problem getting a permit and handgun. i don't want to pay a lawyer to get this thing off of my record.
What, then, is your purpose in having a McJob? It would seem that legal expenses are easily justified.

Hacken

update:

got the papers from the state today. YEAH it sucks! i got denied because of the arrest when I was 15. that's BS. I believe everyone should get a second chance especially when it's not even anything major. everyone makes mistakes when they were kids. i've been clean ever since that arrest. it's not like i took a gun out and try to kill someone. this is just going to totally hurt me for the rest of life by not getting to ever own a gun. oh well.. i can only dream now.