• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am stun to hear that was denied from purchasing a handgun

markush

??? People here have given you information about expungment but you just go right ahead and dream on...maybe it's better that way anyway.

Hacken

??? People here have given you information about expungment but you just go right ahead and dream on...maybe it's better that way anyway.

on the papers they sent me it says it's sealed away from public records to people to view but federal and state officials can still have access to the records. my record is clean from for the public to view, shows no criminal history. probably talk to a lawyer to see if i can do something about this... cause i have heard i can't ever get rid of my juvenile record. it will still sit there even if it has been expunged when i turned 18 already just sealed away.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

probably talk to a lawyer to see if i can do something about this... cause i have heard i can't ever get rid of my juvenile record. it will still sit there even if it has been expunged when i turned 18 already just sealed away.
Yes, you WILL need a lawyer. Thirteen chapters of Wisconsin Statutes https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/prefaces/toc have many mentions of "expung" (see the search box, top left) and many of those are exceptions.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

thanks for the site. i will take a look at it.
It is not just a "site," it is the whole of current Wisconsin Statute law and the first place one should look for the answer to a legal question.

ETA considering that today is Good Friday; it is the first place one should look for the law AFTER looking where the law should be, in ones heart.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

It is not just a "site," it is the whole of current Wisconsin Statute law and the first place one should look for the answer to a legal question.

ETA considering that today is Good Friday; it is the first place one should look for the law AFTER looking where the law should be, in ones heart.

To be technical it is a site where one can get cites.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

HankT

State Researcher
Correction: you were not denied because you were arrested. You were denied because you were convicted.

Exactly. And the record is still there.

Luckily there is a growing awareness of criminal file expungement and sealing. Pay a good lawyer a couple a thou or more to make certain events and facts ..... just go away.

Sometimes, you can do it yourself.

AaronS

Correction: you were not denied because you were arrested. You were denied because you were convicted.

I would have thought by now that you would have known you would have had an issue with your gun "rights".

Today, I am just happy it was not my car you took, I have more rights today if I am in it at the time.

Hacken

I would have thought by now that you would have known you would have had an issue with your gun "rights".

Today, I am just happy it was not my car you took, I have more rights today if I am in it at the time.

sounds like your ready to kill someone huh?..

anon y mous

Hacken:

You sound like one who wants to have his cake and eat it too. I don't think juvenile records should be sealed at all. No sir. You committed a felony, and there needs to be consequences to your actions. I've dealt with 100's of kids who were like, it doesn't matter, because when I turn 18 it all goes away anyway. If every 15-yr-old knows they can steal a car and everything will just go away when you turn 18, then there WILL be more car thefts by minors, and Yes, AaronS is right, this could lead to someone getting killed.

Actions have consequences, and the consequence of your actions is that you are NOT allowed to have access to firearms, period. If you don't like the punishment, don't do the crime.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hacken:

You sound like one who wants to have his cake and eat it too. I don't think juvenile records should be sealed at all. No sir. You committed a felony, and there needs to be consequences to your actions. I've dealt with 100's of kids who were like, it doesn't matter, because when I turn 18 it all goes away anyway. If every 15-yr-old knows they can steal a car and everything will just go away when you turn 18, then there WILL be more car thefts by minors, and Yes, AaronS is right, this could lead to someone getting killed.

Actions have consequences, and the consequence of your actions is that you are NOT allowed to have access to firearms, period. If you don't like the punishment, don't do the crime.

Zero tolerance? Not ever, no exception, no individual consideration? Just hard and fast BAM!?

While I am no fan of the revolving door, tag 'em and release 'em, policies which IMO leads to recidivism, The individual and their history deserve to be considered - apparently our justice system agrees to some extent.

Who amongst us is without sin?

Interceptor_Knight

Zero tolerance? Not ever, no exception, no individual consideration? Just hard and fast BAM!?

While I am no fan of the revolving door, tag 'em and release 'em, policies which IMO leads to recidivism, The individual and their history deserve to be considered - apparently our justice system agrees to some extent.

Who amongst us is without sin?
Agreed. Zero tolerance equals zero intelligence. It is useless fuzzy feel good legislation endorsed by those who feel weak and helpless against crime.
It takes a complete lack of analytic thought to implement which is of great convenience to those either not capable or simply not willing to put forth any mental effort.
It costs taxpayers far more in the end if the only answer to crime is harsher sentencing. I am against 3 strikes type legislation also. Any time you tie the hands of the courts you are in effect causing a hemorrhage of taxpayer dollars and creating less productive citizens. It is far too easy to take away gun ownership rights. It is absolute BS to strip away these rights for simple theft no matter what the value of the object. Components such as Violence and the actual use of a weapon to physically harm another while committing the crime should be taken into consideration.

Last edited:

wrightme

on the papers they sent me it says it's sealed away from public records to people to view but federal and state officials can still have access to the records. my record is clean from for the public to view, shows no criminal history. probably talk to a lawyer to see if i can do something about this... cause i have heard i can't ever get rid of my juvenile record. it will still sit there even if it has been expunged when i turned 18 already just sealed away.

I think the problem is that the record is sealed, not expunged. If you want it to not be a continual difficulty, hold the state's feet to the fire and get the expungement as the only juvenile crime for which you successfully completed your 'time.'

Your record shows 'clear' to you because, 'it says it's sealed away from public records.'

If it is expunged, it shouldn't 'sit there.'

If I understand it correctly.

Hacken

Hacken:

look i'm sure everyone had their share of mistakes when they were a minor probably just not as stupid as mine. did i regret it? definitely. i'm not one of them stupid kids who you were talking about. i'm not a dumb ass who thinks i can just do anything i want and think it all will go away when i turn 18.

duckdog

Like the others said.. you committed a felony. There are consequenses for every action and your finding out one for committing a felony. You shouldn't get a free pass because your under 18... plain and simple. In my opinion, the Wi Justice Dept did their job!