• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Reciprocity bill 2213 introduced in senate

E6chevron

U.S. Senate Bill 2213 is the one we want to suppport, Lucky 13!

Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity of 2012

Introduced March 20, 2012

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112s2213is/pdf/BILLS-112s2213is.pdf

This bill makes no changes to the concealed carry rights of residents of a State.

It is intended to allow "full reciprocity" in non-resident states, to 2 groups of individuals who currently have some concealed carry rights:

1) An individual who is carrying a valid State issued CCW license/permit, may possess or carry a Concealed Handgun in any non-residence State that recognizes the right to Concealed Carry for its residents whether with/without a license/permit.

2) An individual who is entitled and not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm in the State in which the individual resides, may possess or carry a Concealed Handgun in any State that recognizes the right to Concealed Carry, for its residents whether with/without a license/permit.

These reciprocity rights only apply to an individual who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document.

The possession or carrying of a concealed handgun in a State under this section shall be subject to the same conditions and limitations, except as to eligibility to possess or carry, imposed by or under Federal or State law or the law of a political subdivision of a State, that apply to the possession or carrying of a concealed handgun by residents of the State or political subdivision who are licensed by the State or political subdivision to do so, or not prohibited by the State from doing so.

------------------------------------------------

This allows a phase-in of non-licensed constitutional carry laws state by state, while giving complete reciprocity, immediately. It would allow Illinois to get a license based concealed carry, similar to what Wisconsin has, and its citizens would have reciprocity with other states, as soon as they got their license.

This bill would create 18USC926D in chapter 44 of the United States Code.

Last edited:

Carryon

Gets brought up or held in committees in past years. House can write and pass a decent bill. Can't get it out of the senate. Need more states to alter who they elect since as noted so few Democrats voted for it in the house.

LkWd_Don

It never ceases to amaze me how people who supposedly understand the concept of a federal system, start drooling and wetting their pants when some politician introduces a piece of crap like this, supposedly so the federal government will "give" them something they desire. How are you different than any other special interest group? Do you not realize how dangerous this legislation would be? Exactly what is the authority by which the central government forces recognition of permits? Don't say the second amendment because there has never been a right to carry concealed so there is nothing being infringed. If you want to carry concealed in Illinois either (1) lobby the IL legislature for change or (2) amend the U.S. Constitution. Fortunately this bill has zero change of going anywhere. If you would like to support the 2A then ask for legislation to permit open carry (of some sort) in all states. This is OCDO after all.....

I agree with you apjonas, Not just because it is dangerous to get the Federal Government meddling in Gun Laws, but it is also a violation of our fundamental rights as citizens to freely choose and as it is yet another law specifying or better said as "legitimizing" all of the Infringing Laws that are out there designed to LIMIT or DENY our 2A right to Carry.

I enjoy being able to carry openly here in Washington State, I like the idea that Washington State has had it's own version of the 2A within its constitution for the last 122 years, contained in ARTICLE I - DECLARATION OF RIGHTS - SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired,

But even then Washington State infringes upon our 2A Right by limiting them in their laws preventing us from Concealed "Carry" without a special license, thus telling us that WE have to obtain "THEIR" Permission to "CARRY" concealed.

I consider what Washington State is doing is just as wrong as I consider that the H.R 822 and the S. 2213 are little more than continued Infringements (just on the Federal level) of our 2A rights.

Some will disagree with me, but I ask.. Does the 2A say that our Right to Keep and Bear Arms is ONLY available for Open Carry?

bigdaddy1

I cant remember what forum/thread that was in but I remember there was talk about people fearing this a ploy to get national gun registration in place so Obama would know who to target. I know, tin foil cap time but they were all against it.

LkWd_Don

I cant remember what forum/thread that was in but I remember there was talk about people fearing this a ploy to get national gun registration in place so Obama would know who to target. I know, tin foil cap time but they were all against it.

As I recall there were a couple of attempts in the House to push a bill that would have done that and then to include amendments to the H.R.822 that likewise would have done so, but the results were a fairly clean bill without any requirement for a national CCP or National registration.
The most recent bill introduced in the Senate that is or is basically identical to the H.R.822 is S.2213 and as I have posted before, is presently in sitting in the Committee for the Judiciary awaiting their approval and being sent back to the Senate floor for a vote. However, with the make up of that committee being 10 democrats and 8 republicans.. I do not see it doing anything more than dying in committee.

sandmansf

AZ CCW in CA

I don't know if anyone would know the answer to this, but what if I have my CCW card from AZ but I now live in CA? I just received my card less than a year ago, but now I have a CA driver's license and residence. Assuming sometrhing like this would pass, which I highly doubt, would I still be able to carry since I have a valid AZ CCW card? And that would raise the larger question of, "Would people from CA be able to go to AZ to apply for a CCW license?" Just curious.

Thanks!

bigdaddy1

I don't know if anyone would know the answer to this, but what if I have my CCW card from AZ but I now live in CA? I just received my card less than a year ago, but now I have a CA driver's license and residence. Assuming sometrhing like this would pass, which I highly doubt, would I still be able to carry since I have a valid AZ CCW card? And that would raise the larger question of, "Would people from CA be able to go to AZ to apply for a CCW license?" Just curious.

Thanks!

Your states residency rules would apply. That being said your CCL from AZ may no longer be valid if you were a resident at the time.

E6chevron

Your states residency rules would apply. That being said your CCL from AZ may no longer be valid if you were a resident at the time.

This question is probably best answered in the Arizona forum, not the Wisconsin forum.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf This indicates that Arizona issues licenses to resident and non-resident citizens of the United States. A change of address form is required within 10 days of the change.

MKEgal

1) An individual who is carrying a valid State issued CCW license/permit, may possess or carry a Concealed Handgun in any non-residence State that recognizes the right to Concealed Carry for its residents whether with/without a license/permit.
So in WI I'd have to have a WI carry license, but anywhere else (currently excepting IL, but that will change this summer) I could use any of my carry licenses.
This appears to apply even in HI, CA, NJ, NY, MA... which do technically have cc licensing, but rarely issue them to everyday citizens.
But the residents of those states would still suffer under the backward laws & customs there, which prevent them from getting an in-state license.
What about DC, PR, VI, etc., which are similar to IL? Besides, they're not states.

2) An individual who is entitled and not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm in the State in which the individual resides, may possess or carry a Concealed Handgun in any State that recognizes the right to Concealed Carry, for its residents whether with/without a license/permit.
For those states with CC.

The possession or carrying of a concealed handgun in a State under this section shall be subject to the same conditions and limitations, except as to eligibility to possess or carry, imposed by or under Federal or State law or the law of a political subdivision of a State, that apply to the possession or carrying of a concealed handgun by residents of the State or political subdivision who are licensed by the State or political subdivision to do so, or not prohibited by the State from doing so.
So if I can carry here, I can carry in CA or NY, under the same rules applied to the rich & well-connected (the ones who can actually get a cc license there)?