• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suggestions on ccw piece for smaller woman?

bmwguy11

My wife is looking for a carry piece that will be easier to conceal. She would prefer either something for pocket carry or IWB holster carry. She carries a glock 19 in winter but in summer that isn't easy to conceal well.

TyGuy

Well, if she doesn't mind training with it, as it's tough to shoot at first (light weight + small size = large recoil) I love my LCP. The LC9 has much better sights, not to mention you get to stay with 9mm (as she has the G19). However, I doubt the size difference between the LC9 and the G19 is that much. I've carried the LCP with a supertuck deluxe and LITERALLY forgotten that I had it on even while driving.

I will say that laser sights for it really are a must as the sights are a joke. If the LCP is too expensive then check out the Taurus one (can't remember the name). It has a mag that holds the bolt open on the final round, which is nice (the LCP doesn't) and it comes with a neat little holster. The KelTec P3AT is also a good choice. All three of those are basically the same.

I would recommend checking which of them the crosbreed super tuck deluxe is available for as that holster is sweet! Or the mini tuck too.

TyGuy

Are you in Southern Wisconsin? We could meet up sometime for her to shoot my LCP, or at least have her hold one.

Jason in WI

LCP for pocket carry or IWB deep concealment. I've noticed women carry differently then men so I'm not sure if they can IWB a larger or smaller firearm then a similar sized man.

The LC9 is a no-go for pocket carry, unless you got super baggy pants. I'm a big dude and my pants have big pockets but it still ain't happening. She may be-able to IWB carry comfortably it if shes use to the G19.

I still vote for the LCP because I'd bet most people would be more apt to carry it instead of leaving it behind because a larger pistol is uncomfortable but, I've never met your wife so that might not apply to her.

Sorcice

The reason I suggested the LCR is because the girl in the vid was able to conceal in skin tight pants as well as several other areas. And that gun has very low recoil for being a revolver.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

My daughter's mother carried a KelTec, first a .32 then a 9 mm. Fluffed and buffed, they were fine.

protias

The reason I suggested the LCR is because the girl in the vid was able to conceal in skin tight pants as well as several other areas. And that gun has very low recoil for being a revolver.

My father had a LCR. I shot it a few times and the recoil was a bit much for me. The light weight frame does not absorb the recoil.

TyGuy

The LCP has a thinner profile than the LCR. I suggest getting her to shoot whatever she think she will like before buying it. The LCP recoil is snappy, but it's not a range gun.

PistolPackingMomma

Sig P238 .380, or the Bersa Thunder CC .380

The Sig is smaller, has better sights, shoots smoother, and is more expensive.

The Bersa is a bit larger, has almost non existent sights, is DA/SA, and affordable.

I strongly recommend letting her handle a variety of guns and letting her pick what feels best.

bmwguy11

Are you in Southern Wisconsin? We could meet up sometime for her to shoot my LCP, or at least have her hold one.

Yea we live in the west bend area. I think an LCP or LC9 could work. The LC9 does appear to be decently smaller than the 19. It's an inch shorter in length and half inch shorter in height. So far she hasn't been a fan of revolvers, so those might not be an option. But I think she should give the LCR a try. Also thought maybe the Kahr CM9? Sig P238 might be an option.

So I guess we could look at:

LCP
LCR
LC9
Kahr CM9
Sig P238

If anyone in our area has any of these let me know if you'd be willing to meet up so she can try them out!

Last edited:

TyGuy

I'm not a little guy (5'11" 190#) but I found the Kahr CM9 and PW9 (or whatever) to be really difficult to rack the slide. I would imagine a generic woman (IDK your wife's build) would have an even harder time doing it.

The LC9 has better sights, and you could keep using the 9mm round. I just didn't know if the size is that much different from the G19. I honestly DONT know. The LC9 wasn't out when I was looking. I do think the LCR is thicker than the LCP though due to the cylinder.

Rxman

She should at least try the LCR 38spl. I have the 357/38 version, and that might be a little rough to handle if shooting the 357Mag, but the LCR 38spl. Or 38spl+P , especially with the Hogue Tamer Grips develops a lot less recoil. It's also very concealable, accurate, has a "sweet" trigger, and lightweight. Take care and good luck.

bmwguy11

I'm not a little guy (5'11" 190#) but I found the Kahr CM9 and PW9 (or whatever) to be really difficult to rack the slide. I would imagine a generic woman (IDK your wife's build) would have an even harder time doing it.

The LC9 has better sights, and you could keep using the 9mm round. I just didn't know if the size is that much different from the G19. I honestly DONT know. The LC9 wasn't out when I was looking. I do think the LCR is thicker than the LCP though due to the cylinder.

The LC9 is almost an in shorter in length and a half inch shorter in height so it could work.

Sorcice

Yea we live in the west bend area. I think an LCP or LC9 could work. The LC9 does appear to be decently smaller than the 19. It's an inch shorter in length and half inch shorter in height. So far she hasn't been a fan of revolvers, so those might not be an option. But I think she should give the LCR a try. Also thought maybe the Kahr CM9? Sig P238 might be an option.

So I guess we could look at:

LCP
LCR
LC9
Kahr CM9
Sig P238

If anyone in our area has any of these let me know if you'd be willing to meet up so she can try them out!

If your gonna look at sigs the p220 is really nice too. and tiny. ad decently cheap for a sig.

GreenCountyPete

look at the LC9 , I like it ,a number of others, men and women i have talked to looked at the options and went with it also
when everything comes down to shape , ounces and fractions of an inch some thing 1/8 inch narrower 1/2 inch shorter and a 1/4 inch less in height with rounded edges can be all it takes to make it fit.