• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheap .40 fed 165gr efmj ammo

H

Herr Heckler Koch

$18/50 rd! Thank you. checking it out.

70%+ S&H

Last edited:

Jason in WI

Any reason you guys prefer this over a regular hollow point? I can see maybe it feeds more reliably but other then places that restrict hollow points I just don't see what the attraction is.

Edited to add: I'm not trying to start an argument or judge your projectile choice, I truly am curious.

Last edited:

Sorcice

Any reason you guys prefer this over a regular hollow point? I can see maybe it feeds more reliably but other then places that restrict hollow points I just don't see what the attraction is.

Edited to add: I'm not trying to start an argument or judge your projectile choice, I truly am curious.

From the inventor of the round: "the EFMJ concept provides a number of advantages. It looks and feeds like hardball and expands to a maximum diameter faster than a hollowpoint under all conditions. Unlike the hollowpoint, its main advantage is that it never clogs up and therefore invariably expands when fired through dry media like heavy clothing, wallboard, and plywood, and provides tactical penetration against hard, intermediate barriers." -Tom Burczynski via the book "Stopping Power"

Hope that answers your question :)

E6chevron

I have seen reports of poor expansion of that EFMJ Expanding Full Metal Jacket projectile in 40 S&W.

As inconsistent as 1 out of 5 not expanding at all.

This is not a problem for target loads.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
If only Federal would sell their EFMJ projectiles for reloading =(

How about "Guard Dog" projectiles for loading? I've been looking at Guard Dog and the price is very high! 20 rounds of 9 mm, 105 grain Guard Dog cartridges is almost $22! I've seen the Guard Dog 9mm 105 grain bullets for sale online. No others...but the 9mm is available for a limited time (I'm sure!). Check out www.wideners.com for the Guard Dog 9mm bullets before they are all gone.

amaixner

How about "Guard Dog" projectiles for loading? I've been looking at Guard Dog and the price is very high! 20 rounds of 9 mm, 105 grain Guard Dog cartridges is almost $22! I've seen the Guard Dog 9mm 105 grain bullets for sale online. No others...but the 9mm is available for a limited time (I'm sure!). Check out www.wideners.com for the Guard Dog 9mm bullets before they are all gone.
Interesting, I did not know that anyone had started renaming/rebranding and remarketing the EFMJ. Thanks for the heads-up.

Looks like those are *pulled* though, so no indication that Federal is finally letting up buy them. Also I shoot/carry 10mm, and haven't seen an EFMJ 10mm defensive load sold by anyone, anywhere.

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Any reason you guys prefer this over a regular hollow point? I can see maybe it feeds more reliably but other then places that restrict hollow points I just don't see what the attraction is. Edited to add: I'm not trying to start an argument or judge your projectile choice, I truly am curious.
I had a handful of EFMJ 9 mm years ago to try in my Luger, a notoriously picky eater. Yes, they fed more reliably than conventional hollowpoints. But I don't carry the Luger for self-defense and haven't had EFMJ 9 mm for a very long time.

Conventional hollowpoints will expand inconsistently with the hollow filled with heavy cloth. I believe that was the precise problem EFMJ was designed to correct.

I have never shot EFMJ except as a self-defense round. At self-defense ranges with a 4" barrel, the difference from WWB is insignificant.