• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Westchester County CC permit..how?

camaroguy13

I have a sport target and hunting permit in Westchester county. Officially, I am licensed to carry to and from the range and thats about it.
I have been licensed for over a year now and have logged roughly 60 hours of firing time. I want to apply for my Concealed carry but I have heard my efforts are futile.
If I proceed forward, what can I do to "help" push through my permit? My only reason for this request, is that I install surveillance systems in areas of Westchester that are less than favorable. Most of my installs are done at night or early evening. Mostly, I work alone. I would like the permit to be an unrestricted CC but will my reason restrict me to work situations?

any clarity would be greatly appreciated.

camaroguy13

Update:
I spoke with the county clerk, I was instructed to provide a letter explaining why I feel I need an unrestricted carry.
Anyone in NY have success with this route?
Any LEO's have a word of advice or some key phrasing I could use to help obtain my unrestricted carry in Westchester?

randian

I think they changed the law so that you couldn't legally find out what words/phrases were "appropriate" for such applications. Thus, you can't file an FOIA request for approved applications with personal data redacted. Nice, eh?
If so, it looks like they were trying to forestall the Calguns Foundation strategy. That is, make requests for accepted "good cause" statements under relevant FOI laws, have clean applicants make application for permits using those previously approved "good cause" statements, then when they're denied file Equal Protection lawsuits to force the relevant issuing authority to issue permits. It puts a lot of sunshine on who is buddies with the issuing authority, sunshine they don't want. Quite a few California counties are now effectively shall-issue (still may-issue in law but certain "good cause" statements must be approved) because of this legal strategy.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
There's already an appeals court case suing Westchester County, called Kachalsky v. Cacace. It is currently in the US Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit. It has completed all briefing and now awaits oral arguments, which will occur during the week of August 20th.

camaroguy13

Here is an update:

Its been a while since I was on the site, but I was granted my full CC after writing a letter (as discussed above). It took two months to get a decision. I also had a police buddy call in for me, to see what I could do to expedite things.

He was told but the detective assigned to my case, that he normally puts a negative recommendation on these requests for the judges review.
So basically, get in good with a detective and the judge follows the recommendation.

problem is, if it weren't for a buddy of mine, what would it take to get the CC?
NY really has everyone in a tight place.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Here is an update:

Its been a while since I was on the site, but I was granted my full CC after writing a letter (as discussed above). It took two months to get a decision. I also had a police buddy call in for me, to see what I could do to expedite things.

He was told but the detective assigned to my case, that he normally puts a negative recommendation on these requests for the judges review.
So basically, get in good with a detective and the judge follows the recommendation.

problem is, if it weren't for a buddy of mine, what would it take to get the CC?
NY really has everyone in a tight place.

why not post the letter sans IDing info ... the state can limit access to those "magic words" via a foia request restriction but not through people giving info out.