• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the .22LR enough bullet?

11B2O

Yes, a .22 can kill. If your lucky, it will kill before the attacker gets you or someone else. Whether you trust it enough to carry, is totally up to you. But I never would. I have a .380 as a backup gun and even then I'm kind of worried if it will be enough even with good shot placement, simply b/c it does not penetrate as deep as your more common carry rounds. I just don't see the need to carry a .22 when they make pistols nearly as small as a .22 now days in a bigger caliber.

HandyHamlet

Can you not have a grown up debate?

Why yes I can if the occasion arises. This however is not a debate. This is just the same old "My penis is the biggest so do what I say" schtick. I have offered you three REAL LIFE examples of people defending themselves successfully with .22s. And where the bad guy ended up dead. You ignore them. So there is nothing to debate.

If you are over the age of 12, please act like it. Do you understand how to debate? You make a response, I acknowledge it and make a rebuttal. Then you are suppose to make a logical response to either support your initial stance, to reduce or disprove mine or make a new stance in the light of things brought to your attention after your initial statement.

Well I don't know of anything more logical than real life examples that real life people survived. As apposed to your fantastical and illogical "well could have" fairy tales that you made up.

This childish game reflects poorly on you.

I'm sorry you do not appreciate Unicorns.

I never said that people don't protect themselves with a .22, I never said that .22 isn't capable of producing death. I merely asserted that many times the .22 does not immediately incapacitate the person and in that time the threat remains.

Cite? How many times? What's the percentage of people who died because their .22 failed to protect them vs those that did protect themselves successfully with a .22? How do those percentages add up to all the other calibers?

And for the bonus:

Name one self defense tool that is 100% effective, 100% of the time, in 100% of all situations, is 100% available to everyone, and can be used by 100% of everyone*.

How about you google how many times people have been shot by a .22 and lived at least long enough to accomplish any deeds? You'll find a lot.

Really? How about YOU google it and enlighten us.

:)

p.s. Happy Friday, have a great weekend.

*(hint: It starts with a Space T-Rex)

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

A well placed round(s) in a defensive shooting of any caliber is "enough bullet", as long as you are proficient with your weapon. Practice practice practice!

j4l

Why yes I can if the occasion arises. This however is not a debate. This is just the same old "My penis is the biggest so do what I say" schtick. I have offered you three REAL LIFE examples of people defending themselves successfully with .22s. And where the bad guy ended up dead. You ignore them. So there is nothing to debate.

Well I don't know of anything more logical than real life examples that real life people survived. As apposed to your fantastical and illogical "well could have" fairy tales that you made up.

I'm sorry you do not appreciate Unicorns.

Cite? How many times? What's the percentage of people who died because their .22 failed to protect them vs those that did protect themselves successfully with a .22? How do those percentages add up to all the other calibers?

And for the bonus:

Name one self defense tool that is 100% effective, 100% of the time, in 100% of all situations, is 100% available to everyone, and can be used by 100% of everyone*.

Really? How about YOU google it and enlighten us.

:)

p.s. Happy Friday, have a great weekend.

*(hint: It starts with a Space T-Rex)

Cant believe I'm doing so, but.. I have to agree 100% with ^. Childish and mildly... dense though he is, when he's right -he's right. And he is. As is the post after.
We all have our preferences, and our prejudices regarding round/make/model/brand/ bore etc.
But @ the end of the day, a .22 -can, under the right circumstances, be quiet effective.
Are smaller-medium-bore, and "less powerful" rounds going to be AS effective as something larger-bore/heavier, most of the time? No. But there are plenty of rounds larger and "more powerful" than .22/ .25 that are even LESS effective a lot of the time (9mm .380 .38 -in most,not all, loads) -no matter where you hit/aim , etc.
When your time comes, you simply have to make the best possible use that you can, of whatever tool is at hand, and hope for the best. Is that ideal? No, but that's reality. Round A (unless its a .45 or better :;) ) isnt always going to out-perform Round B (unless it's 9mm NATO ) 100% of the time, under all circumstances or against all targets.
Even with a "better" round, depending on the load used, you can score head shots repeatedly with no penetration of the skull- and be no better off than if you were using a .22 anyway. No matter the round, physics and the physical/mental/emotional state of the target is going to have a lot to do with what works, and what doesnt- and you have exactly ZERO way of knowing how that will turn out until you pull the trigger.

09jisaac

If you want to compare like that it is more along the lines of my penis is biggest (taken as fact by you. Everyone knows a 9mm is bigger than a .22.) and I am trying to convince you to why having a bigger penis is more desirable and you're saying that your smaller penis would do the job just as effectively. That is more akin to what the debate is, if you want to compare it like that.

Now then, back to the debate, YOU have offered two (out of three) REAL LIFE examples to support what I am saying. Please try to understand what I am trying to say. A .22 IS capable of stopping a threat (evident in all your cites), a .22 IS capable of producing death (evident in all your cites) and a .22 IS capable of incapacitating a threat (evident in all your cites). <--- That is proven facts that you are trying to debate. Those are not questioned. I am saying that a high percent of the times (66% so far) the .22 does not IMMEDIATELY INCAPACITATE the threat. This is what I find important. Do you think it would give me any sick feeling of pleasure knowing that I took my killer to the grave with me? No, because I will be dead. I will be incapable of having feelings.

How many people, that are a threat, are on hard drugs? I would say that a large percent of them are. With any hard drug and adrenaline people can continue to fight through a large amount of pain (Fact). You can find many stories of people getting shot multiple and continuing the attack. Would you rather have a .22 in that situation? Do you think a .22 would produce better or equal results?

How about the cases where a .22 was used. Do you think a 9mm, .40, .45 etc would have produced equal or better results? Probably.

B*lllsh*t, b*llsh*t, and meaningless bravado.
Seriously?
WTF.
The guy in my quote could have easily been a Space T-Rex piloting a giant meteor made of gold and armed with ICBMs raining terror down from the heavens too.
Fact is he wasn't. He is dead. Killed by a .22 which stopped the attack. She is alive. Saved by her .22.
End of story.
Let the caliber queens pontificate! I can do this all day.
And if Unicorns roamed the world we could live in peace and harmony. By drinking their magical blood.
You can play the shoulda, coulda, woulda all you want. It won't change the fact that people protect themselves with .22s. People die from .22s. It's funny elderly ladies have no trouble defending themselves with .22s but the sheepdogs can't.

I sure hope this is not the pinnacle of your logic. Do you understand much? I said that the .22 doesn't usually immediately incapacitate a threat, you offer 2 out of 3 cites that support this claim and then say that it is made up? Or even a rare case? Yes the people in your three cases did survive and I am glad of that. But how different do you think the situation would have been if it was a heroine junky looking for some cash to his next fix? Probably would have ended a bit differently.

Cite what? You are doing a fine job in providing cites for my cause. Does it matter how many died because their .22 failed to cause incapacitation? Would that make you or your family feel any better know that you are a minority in the statistics?

And for the bonus:

By this logic you should use high test fishing twine for rock climbing because ropes don't always hold up too? I like it. If it isn't 100% effective or 100% efficient then you should naturally use the one LESS effective for your particular situation. Doesn't matter if a .357 or a .45 has a proven record as a man stopper because they, too, aren't 100% effective. So we should use a .22 because it isn't 100% either, doesn't matter if it is less effective than either of the other two.

I never once claimed that there is a magic caliber perfect for everything, but if I did the .22 wouldn't be it. I think the .22 has many advantages over other calibers but "stopping power" usually isn't it.

HandyHamlet

Okay my friend....

Jake said it didn't matter if you KILLED the assailant if they still have the ability to continue the attack.

Jake is right. If you kill the assailant and they still have the ability to continue the attack, you are in deep sh*t.

I suggest these.

[video=youtube;bQWb-5nblx4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQWb-5nblx4[/video]

Childish and mildly... dense though he is, w
Another hater of Unicorns and crusher of dreams.

Last edited:

j4l

" Another hater of Unicorns and crusher of dreams"

Easy, now, someone's gotta be the Archie Bunker of this place..

j4l

"How many people, that are a threat, are on hard drugs? I would say that a large percent of them are. With any hard drug and adrenaline people can continue to fight through a large amount of pain (Fact)."

Opinion, actually.Yes, like a .22 being effective at it's task-sometimes, so being on hard drugs sometimes diminishes the effects of pain, etc. in disabling a threat.But not always.
I tried to find the link to demonstrate this-maybe one of the other forum-members know where it is-but a fellow forum-member here, who was forced into firing in self-defense a few months back ( a video from the security cams at the gas station where the incident occured was included) shot a guy (but with a proper fighting round =.45acp) who turned out to be on drugs, and dropped him immediately, on-the-spot.
That boy went DOWN. And he most certainly did not get back up on his own. The ironic part, is that the drugs turned out to be the only reason the guy had survived the shot- as the drugs had slowed his motabalism a lot. Supposedly, the shot would have most likely been quiet fatal.
But live or not, that threat was stopped immediately despite the drugs.
There's no absolutes here, either way.

09jisaac

"How many people, that are a threat, are on hard drugs? I would say that a large percent of them are. With any hard drug and adrenaline people can continue to fight through a large amount of pain (Fact)."

Opinion, actually.Yes, like a .22 being effective at it's task-sometimes, so being on hard drugs sometimes diminishes the effects of pain, etc. in disabling a threat.But not always.
I tried to find the link to demonstrate this-maybe one of the other forum-members know where it is-but a fellow forum-member here, who was forced into firing in self-defense a few months back ( a video from the security cams at the gas station where the incident occured was included) shot a guy (but with a proper fighting round =.45acp) who turned out to be on drugs, and dropped him immediately, on-the-spot.
That boy went DOWN. And he most certainly did not get back up on his own. The ironic part, is that the drugs turned out to be the only reason the guy had survived the shot- as the drugs had slowed his motabalism a lot. Supposedly, the shot would have most likely been quiet fatal.
But live or not, that threat was stopped immediately despite the drugs.
There's no absolutes here, either way.

Do you really think that it is an opinion that some drugs or even alcohol diminish felt pain? Are you aware of what morphine is? I thought it had something to do with lessening the effects of pain, but what do I know I am not a doctor.

Also, are you trying to imply that adrenaline mixed with anything doesn't help people over come felt pain? Adrenaline alone has kept people from passing out from sheer pain, I don't think that being high off of certain drugs would lessen this effect.

So what you are saying with your story is that a .45 knocked someone down? That does disprove my point if I was saying that a .45 isn't capable of stopping a threat on drugs. But that is no where near my point at all.

I will, once again, state what I am arguing. Quit acting like it implies anything else. A .22 has a lower percent chance of immediately incapacitating a threat than common defensive calibers using modern defensive rounds. AND The target being high or a particular build or of particular aggression can diminishes this percentage even more and (since one seems to not understand this) the lethality isn't the only thing you need to take into account. It is known that a .22 can cause a death of a human. The .22 round has killed a lot of people, BUT it does not do any good to kill someone if they killed you 1st. So you understand, I am not talking about zombies. If person A shoots person B, B kills A through any means, and then B expires do to ANYTHING from injuries sustained from being shot by A.

I hate talking to you like idiots because I am sure you are not. I shouldn't have to explain everything as if I was talking to a four year old. You are old enough to understand what I am saying. And I shouldn't have ask you to think with some logic.

Does one (out of three) cite where it actually does immediately incapacitate a threat disprove or even diminish what I am saying? Slightly, now find others that have had the same outcome. Does a story about someone getting put down with a .45 disprove or diminish what I am saying? No, that actually supports what I am saying. Just because other calibers with defensive rounds failed to immediately incapacitate a threat, does that disprove or diminish what my point is? Sure, if the .22 has similar numbers.

Do I need to cite this? I shouldn't because 2 out of 3 (66%) of cites provided proved this point. Right now we are at 2/3 with a .22 killed the threat but didn't immediately incapacitate the threat. 1/1 of the .45's did. In my opinion incapacitation is crucial to choosing a defensive round. You want to stop the threat on your terms. Not his or her terms.

Would anyone here argue that a .22 can do anything and everything a common defensive rounds can do?

If anyone wants to disprove what I am saying (bold if you already forgot) then cite a case where common defensive rounds failed to put down a threat but a .22 in the same general location (at roughly the same point in time on the same person) did. Or you could find percent of people immediately incapacitated by a .22 and other rounds. If the .22 is up there with common defensive calibers/rounds then I will apologize for my unsupported argument. If you can't disprove what I am saying, then quit acting like I am stupid for saying it and quit acting like this is a p!ssing contest.

j4l

Do you really think that it is an opinion that some drugs or even alcohol diminish felt pain? Are you aware of what morphine is? I thought it had something to do with lessening the effects of pain, but what do I know I am not a doctor.

Also, are you trying to imply that adrenaline mixed with anything doesn't help people over come felt pain? Adrenaline alone has kept people from passing out from sheer pain, I don't think that being high off of certain drugs would lessen this effect.

So what you are saying with your story is that a .45 knocked someone down? That does disprove my point if I was saying that a .45 isn't capable of stopping a threat on drugs. But that is no where near my point at all.

I will, once again, state what I am arguing. Quit acting like it implies anything else. A .22 has a lower percent chance of immediately incapacitating a threat than common defensive calibers using modern defensive rounds. AND The target being high or a particular build or of particular aggression can diminishes this percentage even more and (since one seems to not understand this) the lethality isn't the only thing you need to take into account. It is known that a .22 can cause a death of a human. The .22 round has killed a lot of people, BUT it does not do any good to kill someone if they killed you 1st. So you understand, I am not talking about zombies. If person A shoots person B, B kills A through any means, and then B expires do to ANYTHING from injuries sustained from being shot by A.

I hate talking to you like idiots because I am sure you are not. I shouldn't have to explain everything as if I was talking to a four year old. You are old enough to understand what I am saying. And I shouldn't have ask you to think with some logic.

Does one (out of three) cite where it actually does immediately incapacitate a threat disprove or even diminish what I am saying? Slightly, now find others that have had the same outcome. Does a story about someone getting put down with a .45 disprove or diminish what I am saying? No, that actually supports what I am saying. Just because other calibers with defensive rounds failed to immediately incapacitate a threat, does that disprove or diminish what my point is? Sure, if the .22 has similar numbers.

Do I need to cite this? I shouldn't because 2 out of 3 (66%) of cites provided proved this point. Right now we are at 2/3 with a .22 killed the threat but didn't immediately incapacitate the threat. 1/1 of the .45's did. In my opinion incapacitation is crucial to choosing a defensive round. You want to stop the threat on your terms. Not his or her terms.

Would anyone here argue that a .22 can do anything and everything a common defensive rounds can do?

If anyone wants to disprove what I am saying (bold if you already forgot) then cite a case where common defensive rounds failed to put down a threat but a .22 in the same general location (at roughly the same point in time on the same person) did. Or you could find percent of people immediately incapacitated by a .22 and other rounds. If the .22 is up there with common defensive calibers/rounds then I will apologize for my unsupported argument. If you can't disprove what I am saying, then quit acting like I am stupid for saying it and quit acting like this is a p!ssing contest.

Genius. Get over yourself. Lose the defensive, hyper-sensitivity crap, and actually READ the words. I merely said, that it is not always the case, and not a reliable enough thing to count on, as the clearly documented case I mentioned demonstrated. Regardless of the round used. We all get caught up on Round X is going to do Result A, if this or that.. That's not often enough the case to stake your life on it, nor to base your entire range of carry options on.

j4l

Genius. Get over yourself. Lose the defensive, hyper-sensitivity crap, and actually READ the words. I merely said, that it is not always the case, and not a reliable enough thing to count on, as the clearly documented case I mentioned demonstrated. Regardless of the round used. We all get caught up on Round X is going to do Result A, if this or that.. That's not often enough the case to stake your life on it, nor to base your entire range of carry options on.

Found it- was actually a member of another forum-but was posted here-

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53502

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
In the final analysis, one is never going to know if their chosen caliber and load is going to be sufficient in stopping an assailant in a timely fashion until one is faced with a deadly situation and has to call on his gun. And even then just because it works or doesn't work as anticipated is no guarantee it is going to work the same way should one have to use it again.

Someone who chooses to carry a .22LR as a SD gun will have his answers only when he sends a round or rounds into his assailant. I then ask, is this the time when you want your questions answered?

40lover

.22LR has been proven to be a killshot from 400 yards away. i wish i could find the video on youtube regarding the power of the .22LR. the uploader was iraqveteran8888 but i cant find the video. either way a .22 is a very good gun for close self defense nonetheless

HandyHamlet

Someone who chooses to carry a .22LR as a SD gun will have his answers only when he sends a round or rounds into his assailant. I then ask, is this the time when you want your questions answered?

Hyperbole. Caliber choice offers no guarantees in life or death. Someone may send a round or rounds into his assailant with a .22. And miss every single time with a .45.

American Rifleman
April 2012
Christopher Oster, 28 and John Shanks III, 29, broke into the home of a resident said to have been involved in a break-up and alleged domestic dispute with Oster's sister, police said. With their identities concealed and an apperant attempt to assault the tenant, they forced their way into the home. Inside they were met by a citizen armed with a .22-cal. handgun. Shanks was shot once in the chest. Oster attempted to drag Shanks out of the home, but fled when he was confronted by the armed resident. Shanks' wound was fatal and Oster was later arrested and charged with first degree burglary. (Enterprise Record, Chico, Ca, 12/22/12)

Dreamer

If a .22 is all you can handle or all ou are comfortable with at this time, then CARRY IT. It's better to have a .22 than nothing at all if you find yourself in a situation where self-defense is warranted.

Just because you can't handle (or don't feel confortable) carrying a .45acp or a .357 magnum, shouldn't prevent you from carrying--defensive carry is not a "big bore or nothing" proposition, DESPITE what many people on gun forums will tell you.

Don't listen to the "size queens".

Go you the ER of any major hospital and ask their trauma surgeons what caliber bullet is pulled out of the largest number of gunshot wound victims that "don't make it" that get brought in...

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

If a .22 is all you can handle or all ou are comfortable with at this time, then CARRY IT. It's better to have a .22 than nothing at all if you find yourself in a situation where self-defense is warranted.

Precisely. I took my little brother shooting this past weekend, and after getting through 6 magazines of my Glock .40 ,he decided he didn't like it. Me personally, it's my favorite, but for him it was too much, so we tried my Taurus 709 next. Still too much for him. It may be because he is just starting out shooting, but he didn't seem to favor anything besides my P22's. I told him if after some more practice, if that's the one he's most comfortable with, then when the time comes he should get a .22 and stick with it. Practice practice practice, and it won't really matter which caliber gun you carry. As long as it's not a .177 :p

Last edited:

09jisaac

Go you the ER of any major hospital and ask their trauma surgeons what caliber bullet is pulled out of the largest number of gunshot wound victims that "don't make it" that get brought in...

So lets compare this to a transportation accidents then. Is it fair to say that because more people die in car crashes over plane crashes than you have less of a chance to survive a car crash over a plane crash? No, cars constitute an unproportional amount of crashes so it is only natural that they will have a higher number of deaths. So, because the .22 is a very common round does not make it particularly deadly.

Also, as I keep saying, the fatality rate isn't the most important thing when choosing a defensive caliber. If round A has a 100% mortality rate in a year doesn't mean it can be as effective as round B. IF B has less of a fatality rate but a higher percent to incapacitate a threat in the 1st five min.

Let me get this straight:

.22 advantages
Relatively quite
Light
Cheap
Small
Readily available
Abundance of firearms
Firearms are usually: Light, cheap, small and/or readily available.
Deadly
Perfect SD caliber

Common Defensive caliber compared to the .22
Almost as deadly
Usually +330% as expensive
Huge recoil
Heavy
Loud
Less selection of firearms

So if all these facts are correct, can someone please explain to me why any of us uses anything besides the .22? I am curious now, because it seems that I am the only one (now) saying that the .22 isn't the ideal caliber for self defense.

HandyHamlet

As I told you before. This has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with whipping it out. Comparing size. Stroke that ego. Stroke it.

:eek:

09jisaac

As I told you before. This has nothing to do with reality and everything to do with whipping it out. Comparing size. Stroke that ego. Stroke it.

:eek:

If I am just toting caliber for no reason them PLEASE show me the error of my ways. I was, still am, under the impression that the .22 is less effective at killing/stopping/incapacitating anything as higher power rounds. Pretty sure that throwing a bigger piece of lead at a higher speed is more effective.

Do you know why most states it is illegal to deer hunt with a .22?
Do you know why very few Law enforcement/ military weapons are chambered for the .22?
Do you know why 9mm, .40, .45, .38 and .357s are so common?

It is because sometimes size plays a significant role.