Thread: Off duty leo confronted me

Off duty leo confronted me

I always open carry, no matter what, as long as it is in a legal place. I was shopping at WalMart the other day in Lacey, and I was headed out the doors to load up the stuff that I had bought, and this off duty leo drove up next to my car with his window down and said that I cannot carry my gun in public, that it was illegal. He was rude about it. I told him that it is my right, and ignored him and left. I don't think that he was expecting that from a woman. He was from Tacoma but did not get a name. Anyone else had this happen?
    ~Samantha~

Too bad you didn't get his name. Department's have policies against off-duty officers enforcing laws, except in cases of emergency. He should be held accountable, both to the law, and his department policy.

And hopefully you video recorded it.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Well Done!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Every_Night View Post
    I always open carry, no matter what, as long as it is in a legal place. I was shopping at WalMart the other day in Lacey, and I was headed out the doors to load up the stuff that I had bought, and this off duty leo drove up next to my car with his window down and said that I cannot carry my gun in public, that it was illegal. He was rude about it. I told him that it is my right, and ignored him and left. I don't think that he was expecting that from a woman. He was from Tacoma but did not get a name. Anyone else had this happen?
    You handled yourself well and professionally and didn't engage him in a dialogue over what the law was or was not.

I've had it happen with an on-duty police officer before, but never an off-duty officer. My response was, "Then write me a ticket for it!" That's when he quit harrassing me. Funny how they will tell you it's illegal but then just let you leave without anything changing, isn't it?

I might suggest taking a photo of the person and license plates with the cell phone, if you get the chance if it happens again. Probably won't happen again, though.

I did not video record it, and I should have gotten a name and plate number. I actually had some adrenaline pumping at the time. I need to remember for next time to stay more calm and remember to get names and plates if applicable. Thanks for the nice responses, that helps me for next time. Because there will always be a next time. Off duty cops or liberals... haha
    ~Samantha~

I actually had some adrenaline pumping at the time. I need to remember for next time to stay more calm and remember to get names and plates if applicable.
    I am sure very few of us handled our first encounters 100% the way we would have liked.

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    Too bad you didn't get his name. Department's have policies against off-duty officers enforcing laws, except in cases of emergency. He should be held accountable, both to the law, and his department policy.
    Expressing his opinion was not enforcing the law. I am sure many could make a much bigger deal out of this, but it does not seem probable you could get him in trouble for enforcing the law when nothing really happened.

No detainment, nothing to talk about really.

I have had this same thing occur to me, and while I was extremely pleasant, I enjoyed the conversation, I know the off duty officer probably did not enjoy it. He drove up in his marked cruiser, but in plain cloths. I started my recorder going when I saw him coming and never answered a single question, but I sure did ask some good ones.
    He said:
    You know you cant carry that around here, right?
    I said:
    Am I being detained officer?
    Do you have a citation for the law in question you believe I am violating?
    Can I give you this pamphlet that explains the law here in North Carolina?

He got real quite once he realized I was fully aware of the law. Then he said, have a nice day and drove off. I saw him a few other times, but he never bothered to stop.

Bellingham, Wa. city of Subdued Excitement
    I have had the same "intimidation thru color of law" routine pulled on me. Hot-every-nite, kudos to you woman, good job troop!! In Washington State we tend to not allow LEOs to attempt to intimidate US because THEY are insecure. Xulld, do you not do this in Florida?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Washi...66874943419858

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

How do you know he was an off-duty LEO?

If he said so, then you ought to have noted down his license plate number, and called the police to report a police impersonator...because any REAL officer would know the law, right?
    Last edited by Difdi; 03-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    How do you know he was an off-duty LEO?

If he said so, then you ought to have noted down his license plate number, and called the police to report a police impersonator...because any REAL officer would know the law, right?
    LOL...sarcasm....

Good job OP~ cop or not you didn't have to give them the time of day, you made it a non issue and walked away I like it.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Good job OP~ cop or not you didn't have to give them the time of day, you made it a non issue and walked away I like it.
    Yep! I agree!

LOL...sarcasm....

Thanks!! You guys rock!
    ~Samantha~

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Yep! I agree!
    LOL...sarcasm....

You did it right for sure. Like regular people, cops aren't always that, period.