• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off duty leo confronted me

Samantha86

I always open carry, no matter what, as long as it is in a legal place. I was shopping at WalMart the other day in Lacey, and I was headed out the doors to load up the stuff that I had bought, and this off duty leo drove up next to my car with his window down and said that I cannot carry my gun in public, that it was illegal. He was rude about it. I told him that it is my right, and ignored him and left. I don't think that he was expecting that from a woman. He was from Tacoma but did not get a name. Anyone else had this happen?

deanf

Too bad you didn't get his name. Department's have policies against off-duty officers enforcing laws, except in cases of emergency. He should be held accountable, both to the law, and his department policy.

HeesBonafide

Well Done!

I always open carry, no matter what, as long as it is in a legal place. I was shopping at WalMart the other day in Lacey, and I was headed out the doors to load up the stuff that I had bought, and this off duty leo drove up next to my car with his window down and said that I cannot carry my gun in public, that it was illegal. He was rude about it. I told him that it is my right, and ignored him and left. I don't think that he was expecting that from a woman. He was from Tacoma but did not get a name. Anyone else had this happen?

You handled yourself well and professionally and didn't engage him in a dialogue over what the law was or was not.

Samantha86

I did not video record it, and I should have gotten a name and plate number. I actually had some adrenaline pumping at the time. I need to remember for next time to stay more calm and remember to get names and plates if applicable. Thanks for the nice responses, that helps me for next time. Because there will always be a next time. Off duty cops or liberals... haha

Xulld

Too bad you didn't get his name. Department's have policies against off-duty officers enforcing laws, except in cases of emergency. He should be held accountable, both to the law, and his department policy.
Expressing his opinion was not enforcing the law. I am sure many could make a much bigger deal out of this, but it does not seem probable you could get him in trouble for enforcing the law when nothing really happened.

No detainment, nothing to talk about really.

I have had this same thing occur to me, and while I was extremely pleasant, I enjoyed the conversation, I know the off duty officer probably did not enjoy it. He drove up in his marked cruiser, but in plain cloths. I started my recorder going when I saw him coming and never answered a single question, but I sure did ask some good ones.
He said:
You know you cant carry that around here, right?
I said:
Am I being detained officer?
Do you have a citation for the law in question you believe I am violating?
Can I give you this pamphlet that explains the law here in North Carolina?

He got real quite once he realized I was fully aware of the law. Then he said, have a nice day and drove off. I saw him a few other times, but he never bothered to stop.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have had the same "intimidation thru color of law" routine pulled on me. Hot-every-nite, kudos to you woman, good job troop!! In Washington State we tend to not allow LEOs to attempt to intimidate US because THEY are insecure. Xulld, do you not do this in Florida?

Difdi

How do you know he was an off-duty LEO?

If he said so, then you ought to have noted down his license plate number, and called the police to report a police impersonator...because any REAL officer would know the law, right? :D

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

How do you know he was an off-duty LEO?

If he said so, then you ought to have noted down his license plate number, and called the police to report a police impersonator...because any REAL officer would know the law, right? :D

LOL...sarcasm....

Good job OP~ cop or not you didn't have to give them the time of day, you made it a non issue and walked away I like it.