It's true you could open carry except in a motor vehicle, but there are several benefits to getting a Concealed Handgun License:
1. It allows you to carry a loaded gun in a motor vehicle. Otherwise you have to empty all the rounds from your magazines before entering your vehicle.
2. It allows you to carry in establishments that serve alcohol.
3. If you rent an apartment or house, your landlord can't stop you from carrying your handgun or keeping it at home.
4. You are exempt from the Federal law regarding school zones.
5. Your license would allow you to carry in many other states that recognize Ohio's license.
P.S. There is no gun registration in Ohio.