• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stupid question I know...just wanted to be 100% positive.

sgiovenetti

My fiancé bought a ccw class for me this weekend and before I go to it naturally I started to research on the topic in depth. My conclusion after being on this forum for about 5 minutes is that I can open carry right now, even before my ccw class? No permits needed to open carry on a person but a ccw is required to carry in a vehicle correct? I figure instead of paying $85 for the class, $40 for ammo and another $65 for the actual permit I should just open carry for now. If I am stopped by LE or asked by a person what is the PC thing to say? Other than "it's legal look it up". One more note I have a Ruger P95 that my dad handed down to me, do I need to have it registered in my name before OC'ing?

Thanks

RT48

It's true you could open carry except in a motor vehicle, but there are several benefits to getting a Concealed Handgun License:

1. It allows you to carry a loaded gun in a motor vehicle. Otherwise you have to empty all the rounds from your magazines before entering your vehicle.
2. It allows you to carry in establishments that serve alcohol.
3. If you rent an apartment or house, your landlord can't stop you from carrying your handgun or keeping it at home.
4. You are exempt from the Federal law regarding school zones.
5. Your license would allow you to carry in many other states that recognize Ohio's license.

P.S. There is no gun registration in Ohio.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
M bought a ccw class for me this weekend and before I go to it naturally I started to research on the topic in depth. My conclusion after being on this forum for about 5 minutes is that I can open carry right now, even before my ccw class? No permits needed to open carry on a person but a ccw is required to carry in a vehicle correct? I figure instead of paying $85 for the class, $40 for ammo and another $65 for the actual permit I should just open carry for now. If I am stopped by LE or asked by a person what is the PC thing to say? Other than "it's legal look it up". One more note I have a Ruger P95 that my dad handed down to me, do I need to have it registered in my name before OC'ing?

Thanks

Welcome aboard OCDO sgiovenetti.

Will try to point you in the right direction. Yes, open carry (OC) is legal in Ohio and you have a solid preemption law, but there are many details and nuances to the laws that will impact you. Particular, as you mention, is the need to disarm and properly store the gun when traveling in a vehicle. I will let others more familiar with the subject describe how they make the transition from OC on foot to vehicle storage.

Thank your fiancee for providing you with the opportunity to become better prepared. Knowledge, training and research will equip you to be a more responsible gun owner whether you CC or OC. You can never have too much of any of the foregoing. You do not indicate what prior experience/training you have. If extensive, the time spent in class will still benefit you as a refresher and learning the application of state laws. If you are new to handguns, the benefit of such training should be obvious. It is an awesome responsibility on which you are about to embark - I commend you for accepting it.

It would be good to try and catch a local meet n' greet - time spent face to face at these social gatherings will give you in an hour or so more information than you will glean on-line in days or weeks and it will be location specific.

There is no gun "registry" in Ohio - preemption prevails. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2649306/posts

http://www.opencarry.org/oh.html

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_oh.htm

BTW - there are no stupid questions - always confirm any answers for yourself.

Enjoy and be safe.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Don't go to the class alone! If she doesn't have a license already, take your fiancee with you - as a regular student or just as an observer!

Many instructors, including myself on a space-available basis, will allow you to bring another person (especially a woman) so that they can be exposed to the knowledge which is being shared with the "regular" students. Some will also allow that person to shoot during the range portion of the class.

IMHO, a good instructor recognizes that it's a great opportunity to dispel myths, demystify guns, and inform the uninformed. If doing so results in her becoming a "regular" student, fine, if not, then at least there's one less uninformed person around. And women talk, you know...

It's always gratifying to see a student's eyes opened, and to lead them down the path of becoming a more informed consumer of "facts" when the subject is guns.