Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK.. who is this :D

OK.. who is this :D

Some may disagree, but I think the person that filmed this handled this JUST FINE.

Its sad that the dispatcher did not inform the caller that OC is perfectly legal. We need to start there, instead of the caller hanging up and never knowing that they called for no reason at all....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n1BH...ature=youtu.be
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Looks like he did everything just right!

I agree, he did indeed do just fine.
    The Officer wasn't asking "How's the weather?" or "Do you like the way that shoots?"; he was investigating someone with an eye towards arresting someone committing evil deeds.

Nothing wrong with being quiet.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatTimeIsIt? View Post
    Nothing wrong with being quiet.

It was more than just keeping quiet. This boy has style. He was in control of that situation from the start. He had his camera out, said hello, kept the camera on the cop the whole time and just kept his mouth shut.

That's a far cry from some that I've seen shouting over and over... I don't consent, I don't consent, I don't consent...

This kid had the cop by the gonads and he knew it!

Good video and nice cops.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

I think everyone handled it quite professionally.

+1000 Excellent video of what certainly seemed to be an outstanding way to handle it. I'm certainly going to replay that one in my head if the situation ever arises.

Wow, at least 3 police cars and who knows how many officers? Impressive response. Well handled.

--
    Peace. ~G
    Carry weapon: SA XDm .40 SC + 11rd Ranger SXT 180gr

I could have done without the sarcastic flair added to when he first walked up: "What's the camera for? Your legal rights?"

But yeah that was somewhat amusing. He did identify himself, Blacksburg PD.

TFred

For the record, I know the OP, and he knows his rights very well. This was in Blacksburg, VA (Virginia Tech country), and the police were from the Blacksburg PD.

Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    For the record, I know the OP, and he knows his rights very well. This was in Blacksburg, VA (Virginia Tech country), and the police were from the Blacksburg PD.
    Do you mean you know the original poster, or the person who filmed the encounter? Or both?

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Do you mean you know the original poster, or the person who filmed the encounter? Or both?

TFred
    The person who filmed the encounter.
    Last edited by VApatriot; 03-29-2012 at 01:49 AM.

Founder's Club Member
    Gotta remember that cop tactic of stationing others behind your back. The lesson being to maintain situational awareness--look around.

I'm glad the cop finally recognized the OCer's silence. I'd rather he didn't spend several questions getting there, though.

Its absurd for cops to say its our right to OC. They know it. The rights exerciser knows it. Its like saying "the water is wet today."

I'd be tempted to reply something like:

Cop: "Its your right to carry."

Me: "Yep. Its also my right to refuse consent to an encounter, too. Leavemealone."

Of course, this isn't likely to improve the situation, so I'm not really recommending it.

Just to plug the tactic for any readers who haven't come across it before, I favor politely telling the cop right up front that I do not consent to an encounter with him.

"Officer, no offense, I know you're just doing your job. But, I do not consent to an encounter with you." If he does not in fact have genuine RAS for detention (Terry v Ohio), that ends it right there. It can't possibly be a consensual encounter from that instant forward. This throws the whole onus on him to have genuine RAS if he wants to continue the encounter.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Curious question here.

What role does the duty status of an officer play in these sorts of situations, generally.

I play a rec-league-type sport once a week, and among my fellow players are a county deputy as well as a city PD supervisor, one on my own team, the other on an opposing team. They are fine folks as far as I can tell, and we occasionally chat about local current events. Obviously, one cannot carry while playing a sporting event, and until recently, we played in a school, so carry of any sort was out of the question anyway.

I don't have any problems with friendly chats, but just curious, I'm guessing that LEOs don't really have an "off" switch.

Thoughts or comments?

TFred

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Curious question here.

What role does the duty status of an officer play in these sorts of situations, generally.

I play a rec-league-type sport once a week, and among my fellow players are a county deputy as well as a city PD supervisor, one on my own team, the other on an opposing team. They are fine folks as far as I can tell, and we occasionally chat about local current events. Obviously, one cannot carry while playing a sporting event, and until recently, we played in a school, so carry of any sort was out of the question anyway.

I don't have any problems with friendly chats, but just curious, I'm guessing that LEOs don't really have an "off" switch.

Thoughts or comments?

TFred
    Ask yourself this question: Do you have an off switch?

Do you intentionally go into "condition white"?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member
    SNIP I don't have any problems with friendly chats, but just curious, I'm guessing that LEOs don't really have an "off" switch.
    MouthCop229 reported years ago that cops' authority (paraphrase) follows them everywhere in their jurisdiction all the time. Individual departments can make policies restricting. For example, a department might make a policy that an off-duty cop is not allowed to detain and cite for a misdemeanor.
    Last edited by Citizen; 03-29-2012 at 02:21 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    MouthCop229 reported years ago that cops' authority (paraphrase) follows them everywhere in their jurisdiction all the time. Individual departments can make policies restricting. For example, a department might make a policy that an off-duty cop is not allowed to detain and cite for a misdemeanor.
    Interesting... our current place to play is out of both of their jurisdictions. But of course, when we're done, we all drive home.

TFred

Thumbs down "You're freaking people out"

Namely, cops.

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Curious question here.

Thoughts or comments?

TFred
    But --

1) cops are "on duty" 24/7/365. Just ask them.

2) cops are exempt from GFSZ and state-law school prohibitions.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.1

From Section C:

The exemptions set out in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of the school's curriculum or activities; (ii) a person possessing a knife customarily used for food preparation or service and using it for such purpose; (iii) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of any program sponsored or facilitated by either the school or any organization authorized by the school to conduct its programs either on or off the school premises; (iv) any law-enforcement officer; [emphasis added - note duty status is not mentioned] (v) any person who possesses a knife or blade which he uses customarily in his trade; (vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle; or (vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school. For the purposes of this paragraph, "weapon" includes a knife having a metal blade of three inches or longer and "closed container" includes a locked vehicle trunk.
    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Nice vid.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    "Officer, no offense, I know you're just doing your job. But, I do not consent to an encounter with you." If he does not in fact have genuine RAS for detention (Terry v Ohio), that ends it right there. It can't possibly be a consensual encounter from that instant forward. This throws the whole onus on him to have genuine RAS if he wants to continue the encounter.
    This would have been a much better way to handle it.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Where are all those people who were being 'freaked out?'

Agree w/ProShooter (@This would have been a much better way to handle it).
    Daily carry: SIG P229 .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    But --

1) cops are "on duty" 24/7/365. Just ask them.

2) cops are exempt from GFSZ and state-law school prohibitions.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-308.1
    I was referring to me unable to carry on the school grounds, not the LEOs.

TFred

You're Freaking People Out!
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Namely, cops.

Yeps, the guy calmly jogging past the encounter didn't seem fazed at all.

I wonder how the officer would have felt if the cameraman had said "Gee, officer, you wanna turn on your four-way flasher's or sumthin'? Parked on the side of the road like that you're a danger to traffic. I'd hate to see that nice, shiny car get scratched."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast