• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OK.. who is this :D

Fallschirjmäger

I agree, he did indeed do just fine.
The Officer wasn't asking "How's the weather?" or "Do you like the way that shoots?"; he was investigating someone with an eye towards arresting someone committing evil deeds.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Nothing wrong with being quiet.

It was more than just keeping quiet. This boy has style. He was in control of that situation from the start. He had his camera out, said hello, kept the camera on the cop the whole time and just kept his mouth shut.

That's a far cry from some that I've seen shouting over and over... I don't consent, I don't consent, I don't consent...

This kid had the cop by the gonads and he knew it!

Glockster

+1000 Excellent video of what certainly seemed to be an outstanding way to handle it. I'm certainly going to replay that one in my head if the situation ever arises.

TFred

I could have done without the sarcastic flair added to when he first walked up: "What's the camera for? Your legal rights?"

But yeah that was somewhat amusing. He did identify himself, Blacksburg PD.

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Gotta remember that cop tactic of stationing others behind your back. The lesson being to maintain situational awareness--look around.

I'm glad the cop finally recognized the OCer's silence. I'd rather he didn't spend several questions getting there, though.

Its absurd for cops to say its our right to OC. They know it. The rights exerciser knows it. Its like saying "the water is wet today."

I'd be tempted to reply something like:

Cop: "Its your right to carry."

Me: "Yep. Its also my right to refuse consent to an encounter, too. Leavemealone."

Of course, this isn't likely to improve the situation, so I'm not really recommending it.

Just to plug the tactic for any readers who haven't come across it before, I favor politely telling the cop right up front that I do not consent to an encounter with him.

"Officer, no offense, I know you're just doing your job. But, I do not consent to an encounter with you." If he does not in fact have genuine RAS for detention (Terry v Ohio), that ends it right there. It can't possibly be a consensual encounter from that instant forward. This throws the whole onus on him to have genuine RAS if he wants to continue the encounter.

TFred

Curious question here.

What role does the duty status of an officer play in these sorts of situations, generally.

I play a rec-league-type sport once a week, and among my fellow players are a county deputy as well as a city PD supervisor, one on my own team, the other on an opposing team. They are fine folks as far as I can tell, and we occasionally chat about local current events. Obviously, one cannot carry while playing a sporting event, and until recently, we played in a school, so carry of any sort was out of the question anyway.

I don't have any problems with friendly chats, but just curious, I'm guessing that LEOs don't really have an "off" switch.

Thoughts or comments?

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Curious question here.

What role does the duty status of an officer play in these sorts of situations, generally.

I play a rec-league-type sport once a week, and among my fellow players are a county deputy as well as a city PD supervisor, one on my own team, the other on an opposing team. They are fine folks as far as I can tell, and we occasionally chat about local current events. Obviously, one cannot carry while playing a sporting event, and until recently, we played in a school, so carry of any sort was out of the question anyway.

I don't have any problems with friendly chats, but just curious, I'm guessing that LEOs don't really have an "off" switch.

Thoughts or comments?

TFred

Ask yourself this question: Do you have an off switch?

Do you intentionally go into "condition white"?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I don't have any problems with friendly chats, but just curious, I'm guessing that LEOs don't really have an "off" switch.

MouthCop229 reported years ago that cops' authority (paraphrase) follows them everywhere in their jurisdiction all the time. Individual departments can make policies restricting. For example, a department might make a policy that an off-duty cop is not allowed to detain and cite for a misdemeanor.

Last edited:

TFred

MouthCop229 reported years ago that cops' authority (paraphrase) follows them everywhere in their jurisdiction all the time. Individual departments can make policies restricting. For example, a department might make a policy that an off-duty cop is not allowed to detain and cite for a misdemeanor.
Interesting... our current place to play is out of both of their jurisdictions. But of course, when we're done, we all drive home. :)

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Curious question here.

Thoughts or comments?

TFred

But --

1) cops are "on duty" 24/7/365. Just ask them.

2) cops are exempt from GFSZ and state-law school prohibitions.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.1

From Section C:

The exemptions set out in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of the school's curriculum or activities; (ii) a person possessing a knife customarily used for food preparation or service and using it for such purpose; (iii) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of any program sponsored or facilitated by either the school or any organization authorized by the school to conduct its programs either on or off the school premises; (iv) any law-enforcement officer; [emphasis added - note duty status is not mentioned] (v) any person who possesses a knife or blade which he uses customarily in his trade; (vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle; or (vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school. For the purposes of this paragraph, "weapon" includes a knife having a metal blade of three inches or longer and "closed container" includes a locked vehicle trunk.

stay safe.