• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yakima County block watch captains not allowed to carry guns, WHAT !

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I was rather shocked to see on KIMA TV in Yakima County did a report on how being armed in Block Watch Programs Are Not Allowed by Yakima County !!!!!

And here I thought I had all the issues concerning firearms dealt with here but apparently there is someone in Yakima or the County that do not know firearms laws :eek: I know surprise surprise :exclaim:

Here I bet the City and County thought there were done hearing from me!

I am sure this is coming from the shooting in Florida and some reports are starting to pop up about local block watch's carry ing or not.

A rather good report was done by KNDU TV Looking into Washington's "Stand Your Ground" law
KENNEWICK, Wash. -- "In Washington, it came from our State Supreme Court, not our legislature, but it specifically states that a person does not have a duty to retreat. In other words, they have the right to stand their ground if they're faced with a felony threat or the threat of violence and defend themselves," says Benton County Prosecutor Andy Miller.
31 states have some form of the Stand Your Ground Law, which basically allows a person to use deadly force in self-defense when there is reasonable belief of a threat, without an obligation to retreat first.

Workman, here is likely another story for you to write on.

jbone

I was rather shocked to see on KIMA TV in Yakima County did a report on how being armed in Block Watch Programs Are Not Allowed by Yakima County !!!!!

Since there is no reason to abide, I may be inclined to handle in one of the following fashions:

1. Go pack sand, I'm packing, kick me off the watch if you want, I still have the right to walk the streets, thank you.
2. Go pack sand & Conceal for self defense reasons.
3. Don't be in the block Watch program, and join the watch my own house watch program, armed.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I have shot off an email to KIMA TV about their story, which I have done a couple interviews with them before.
I am trying to find out where they received their information from so I can address this at the correct place, be it the City or County.

We tried to get a block watch around where I live but there was not enough people that wanted to share their information as to name and phone numbers so the Police Department just dropped it.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Oh Boy.......here we go again.

facepalm.jpg

Good old Yakima...........

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
Why am I picturing this scenario?

A house is burning... the YAKIMA government on scene is in a panic while stating that they MUST DO SOMETHING despite the fact that the FD is on the way to fight the fire so they grab a CAN OF GASOLINE TO THROW ON THE FLAMES TO PUT OUT THE FIRE!!!!!!!

tombrewster421

Since there is no reason to abide, I may be inclined to handle in one of the following fashions:

1. Go pack sand, I'm packing, kick me off the watch if you want, I still have the right to walk the streets, thank you.
2. Go pack sand & Conceal for self defense reasons.
3. Don't be in the block Watch program, and join the watch my own house watch program, armed.

I'm loving #3

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't understand.

Is the block watch program a statutorily authorized program where the government administrators have authority to compel citizen participants to behave in some way?

Is there some sort of city or municipal charter creating the local group? If so, what is the benefit to the participants? Are they shielded from lawsuit? Do they get a special wristband to wear to parties to impress their friends?

hermannr

Have to laugh...I am the "block watch" up here (the only one my road that lives here year around) and just responded to a strange vehicle that went past my place (snow is finally down far enough that a 4X4 can get past my place). Walked down to the neighbor's (1/2 mile) at the actual end of the road and talked to a guy that was leaving a note on the gate into that property. He was actually expecting me...he had been warned I guess.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Have to laugh...I am the "block watch" up here (the only one my road that lives here year around) and just responded to a strange vehicle that went past my place (snow is finally down far enough that a 4X4 can get past my place). Walked down to the neighbor's (1/2 mile) at the actual end of the road and talked to a guy that was leaving a note on the gate into that property. He was actually expecting me...he had been warned I guess.

If he was neighborly, he would have waited for you and given you a ride down that gate. :)

Last edited:

amlevin

The term "Block Watch" is somewhat generic. There's a program locally that's "sanctioned" by the local PD. They send an officer that hands out material to groups when they set up their own "watches". Signs get posted by the Public Works Dept. Block Watches aren't "Neighborhood Patrols", merely a means of getting people to just look out their windows or watch what's going on around their homes when they go about their activities. It's not much more than the compiling of a Phone List and instructing the "members" to call 911.

There is another program here in my County called a "Citizen Patrol". The County has one and provide a marked vehicle. Likewise in a couple of the Cities. THESE groups actually go out an patrol but their duties are limited to Vacation Checks, reporting abandoned or suspicious vehicles, or other strange activity. On these patrols NO FIREARMS are allowed.

As for any organized patrols in a neighborhood, I know that my Homeowner's Association won't be organizing one for the simple reason we don't want to be put in the same situation that the "Association" in FL now finds themselves in. If Mr. Zimmerman is found at fault, and it can be shown he was patrolling with any sanction of the HOA, each and every member of that community is on the hook for any adverse judgement for wrongful death. Unless you have the proper insurance on your home (HOA Loss Assessment Rider) you can plan on writing a sizable check because they won't be covering the judgment.

oneeyeross

Had to laugh when I read this. Several years ago I took herself over to Okanogan to visit my sister for New Year's. We wound up going up Jackazz butte to visit a friend...she saw the sign that said "Primitive Road" but being from HI had no idea what that meant. She does now! Very happy with studded tires in the snow.

hermannr

If he was neighborly, he would have waited for you and given you a ride down that gate. :)

If it had been last week, I would have had to go pull him out of the snow...:)

One of the people that has a vacation house down that way was up in his Pries last week, I did have to pull him out. :shocker:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I just heard back from KIMA TV and the story being reported is about a citizens patrol where citizens wear a uniform and drive a marked county car from the Sheriff Office.

The Sheriffs Office, Block Watch Program has no contact information but represents it is as a watch not a patrol.

KIMA headline read "Yakima County block watch captains" which lead me and I would imagine others to believe that a block watch is just that a watch with out a uniform and patrol car while being a representative of the Sheriff Office and relating the story to the Florida shooting where the circumstances are as different as night and day.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
Over the years I have talked to a LOT of "Block Watch Captains" but never a BW Private, BW Patrolman, or any other BW "rank".

I'd much rather get info from just regular old "residents" of a area that notice something unusual. They seem to be much better at providing helpful information and legitimate concerns without the self-agrandizing behavior that seems to come with made up titles.