• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List of Counties/Cities in violation of KRS 65.870

09jisaac

I do want you all to realize though, that he is family and I will personally not press the issue with him, I will lay the material out before him and explain things to the best of my ability and if he wants me to shut up I will. At that point I will give you all his numbers and I continue my quest with other members, but I do not want to risk the relationship I have with him.

I see nothing wrong with this. I am from a close family too and we definitely would not want to do anything that is potentially detrimental to each other.

That being said, your uncle is not in a lot of people's family who wish the government to obey the rules. I will kindly point out that he is in the wrong if he tries to block the transition to a legal ordinance or to totally rid Morehead of any ordinance to carry. And tell him there is very little you can do to stop what might be coming if he is in the wrong.

Cgm2414

I see nothing wrong with this. I am from a close family too and we definitely would not want to do anything that is potentially detrimental to each other.

That being said, your uncle is not in a lot of people's family who wish the government to obey the rules. I will kindly point out that he is in the wrong if he tries to block the transition to a legal ordinance or to totally rid Morehead of any ordinance to carry. And tell him there is very little you can do to stop what might be coming if he is in the wrong.

Most definately, I have no problem with you or anyone else calling him or any other member out, actually it would be welcome. Morehead is an absolute police state period, our council members are corrupt, and Morehead is probably the poster child of a corrupt city. Things have gone as far to give University Police county wide jurisdiction, which in my opinion has to stop. Thanks for all that you guys are doing.

09jisaac

KYGlockster

Activist Member
It is certainly a violation, a violation of KRS 65.870 and 237.104.

Is this the only ordinance they have that is in violation? I will get all the information and get in contact with them, unless someone is closer who could do so?

Last edited:

CharleyCherokee

I'm not going to bother asking him. He is a bit of a dick and a smug bastard to boot. The way I see it I've already told them about it once and dealt with their crap for months. I will let the cards fall and make them change it. The also have not removed the signs from the city park. The county removed their signs almost immediately after being notified.

Comm

Ok, maybe I'm missing something..

Went to get my driver license renewed... On entering the building, they have setup a metal detector. I was OC at the time, and the guard asked me if I was an LEO. I told him no, and he said I couldn't bring my weapon in the building. I asked what ordinance they had preventing me for doing so? He said Huh... I am just telling you you can't bring a weapon in here. He then asked what business I had, and I told him to get my license renewed. Now the area where you get it renewed is in the same room as when you enter the building, so when you go through the detector, you get in line for the license.
I went back to my truck, and removed my weapon, then went back in through the detector, and the guard gave me a dirty look. I got my license, and on the way out he said don't come back here again wearing that gun or we will have you arrested. I ignored him and went on out, and I didn't bother to get his name.

Are they breaking the ordinance, or did I miss something? Any suggestions?

09jisaac

Are they breaking the ordinance, or did I miss something? Any suggestions?

Drivers licensing is part of the court system. I don't know why, but I do know you cannot legally carry there. I THINK as long as you didn't enter the secure area (part after the metal detector in your case) then you didn't break any laws but that is just my take.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
DL is part of the circuit courts. You are extremely lucky you did not get arrested. If you would have done that here in Boyd co., you would be setting in jail right now. Unless there is a public office in the courthouse, you can not carry in it. This is why most counties have a courthouse annex, or a new justice center.

Comm

DL is part of the circuit courts. You are extremely lucky you did not get arrested. If you would have done that here in Boyd co., you would be setting in jail right now. Unless there is a public office in the courthouse, you can not carry in it. This is why most counties have a courthouse annex, or a new justice center.

It was not in the courthouse, it was in a building right beside it. It does house several other public offices, like attorneys, and public works, which is why I asked. It's a "common" building that they use because they did not have space in the courthouse for it. They are planning on building a new annex, but have not gotten to it yet because of money.

09jisaac

Gutshot, he said when you walk in you are in the Circuit Clerks office. Wouldn't that make it illegal to carry in there even if there is other offices in the building?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
While we are on the subject, the justice center in Boyd county has a "no concealed weapons allowed pursuant to KRS 237.115," sign on the door. There are no county ordinances that prohibit concealed weapons in "county buildings," and being as this is a justice center, why would they use such wording? This sign is illegal is it not?, being as there is no ordinance to validate the sign, but more importantly because it is a justice center and the statute does not apply to them. Shouldn't they have a sign that simply says "no weapons allowed?" This could lead people who may not be well informed to believe OC would be ok when it certainly is not.

Who would I need to speak with about this issue? Can someone point me to case law that allows court of justice areas/courthouses to prohibit weapons so I can inform them that the sign they have needs to be replaced with a "no weapons" sign.

I also had an issue with the court security making me return a handcuff key to my vehicle before entering. What gives them the authority to have me remove a key from the premesis? The reason I have a handcuff key is because I like getting friskey! Haha. Not really, it is a smith&wesson key that has their logo in the center and I simply think it is neat. I had to remove a key, but they allowed my g/f to enter with pepper spray, how ridiculous.

Comm

He wrote, "the area where you get it renewed is in the same room as when you enter the building, so when you go through the detector, you get in line for the license." I don't know exactly what it means. I don't know if the metal detector is inside or outside the room or inside or outside the building. It may be inside the building, but outside the room. Then you go through the metal detector and into another room. If its a privately owned building, which I am now beginning to think it is, and the owner prohibits weapons, that is the end of it. Surely, you don't have to go through the Clerks office to get to the other, non governmental, offices. It could be that you go through the metal detector into a common lobby then apply for your license through a window in the lobby. and the other offices are off the lobby. This whole thing may be the most confusing post I've ever read. It doesn't make much difference, I don't believe it is a county building, so the owners of it can do anything they want. He says, "It does house several other public offices, like attorneys, and public works, which is why I asked. Does this mean open to the public business like private attorneys or Public office holders like County/City attorneys. Same with public works, does it mean privately owned public utilites like KU or public owned utilities like a city water company.

Sorry for the confusion guys. The building I will check on to see if it's privately owned.
The detector is INSIDE when you walk through the main entrance doors, which is actually a big lobby. The DL has a window that you walk up to, AFTER you go through the detector.
Yes Gutshot, I'm in Jessamine Co. Sorry forgot to mention that part.
I'll check with the guard. I know he wasn't a deputy sheriff, so he may have been some form of security.
Again, sorry for the confusion, but I was upset after all that.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
You are right. The sign issue is petty, but also rather irritating, I will just ignore the issue though due to your suggestions. The fact that they removed your clippers while allowing you to pass with a handgun is repugnant. That boggles my mind. What could you possibly do with clippers that couldn't be done so much easier with a .45 caliber slug? That should be proof to everyone that if issues are not fought and handled, they will prohibit or restrict every aspect of our day to day lives, even in buildings "we the people" own.

I plan on visiting the Capitol soon with my little girl. Do they have you remove your firearm from it's holster and run it through the scanner, or do they have you leave it on your hip?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Wow! They destroy the economy and workforce so these men and women have no choice but to join the military to survive. They unconstitutionally declare war. They make them fight in all these phony wars that these brave Americans should not be fighting in. They sacrifice America's bravest for no reason and piss on their family's back home, and now they are starting to deprive them of their benefits. We trust them to carry fully automatic weapons all over these war zones, but they can't carry nail clippers on a plane in the states? This is very aggravating. These men and women should be able to carry any weapon they want, at anytime, anywhere in the U.S. These men and women should have had the right to carry concealed in all 50 states before Law Enforcement officers had that right! These people go, fight, watch their buddies die, KILL, leave their families for up to a year at a time or more, and they get treated like this? Outrageous!

Hopefully issues like this will show them just how much the government cares about them! If there are any veterans on here, I DO SUPPORT you, and thank you for everything you have done! I am sorry you are treated like criminals, however the real Americans know your heroes.

Liberty4Ever

Lexington is in violation of KRS 65.870... AGAIN! They have a metal detector in the city building, and it's apparently only used to disarm people entering the mayor's suite of offices. I've been trying to convince them to obey our state law and remove the metal detector for over a year.

I'm posting a separate thread about the issues with the LFUCG metal detector, rather than hijack this thread.

self preservation

I have just learned that the Mayor of Owingsville (Bath county) has now banned OC or CC from city hall and the city fire station. Just talked to the Fire Chief (Very, very pro gun) and as much as he hates it he said a Detective with the city PD. cited that it was legal to do so because "city hall was a goverment building" The city hall, city fire station and police dept are one same building. But you do have to have a key to each door...other words its not a common building that you can visit all 3 depts from the inside. You have to come out of a door and walk down to the next door to enter city or PD..Does this violate KRS 65.870 or does the police dept being a part of the building excempt them from KRS 65.870?

09jisaac

Local governments cannot regulate open carry in their buildings and cannot regulate carry on their grounds.

Does it sound like Owingsville violated this?

Can you get me the ordinance number?