• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List of Counties/Cities in violation of KRS 65.870

KYGlockster

Activist Member
You are correct. There is no state law that prohibits OC in such a place; and I am sure you are aware KRS 65.870 prohibits his city from enacting any control over firearms possession, so his sign needs to go. It can read no concealed firearms, but they can't prohibit OC firearms.

09jisaac

Also, the police station doesn't need an ordinance to prohibit CC in their building. They already have state statute protecting it. So they are free to put up a no CC sign at will.

self preservation

I knew that CC isnt allowed but the sign posted just says no guns at all. I was thinking you could OC, but the way the sign reads its all banned. I'll have to send him an email and see what he says.

Cottonbaler

I salute all of you who are on the front lines in your communities working to change your ordinances. I would like to get an OC group going in Louisville so we can start working with our Metro Council to bring our city into compliance with state law.

Considering HB 500 was passed with overwhelming Democrat support, it might be helpful to do some name dropping when you speak to your local officials who may also be Democrats. It is easy enough to pull up the cosponsor list and the vote tallies to show them the shear numbers of their fellow Democrats (particularly those in leadership positions in the House and the Senate's minority caucus) who cosponsored and/or voted for the bill. Only a handful of Democrats voted against it. Use their party affiliation against them. And if the Democrat council members or mayors you are talking to still won't budge then find out who the House Rep and/or Senator for that area is. If they too are Democrat why not call them or send them a note explaining that some of their fellow Democrats are dragging their feet bringing their local ordinances into compliance with a state law that they were instrumental in getting through the General Assembly.

These guys at the local and state levels at some point or another will get together at fundraisers and other Democrat Party functions. I guarantee if enough pressure is put on the legislators, they'll put the pressure on their fellow party members at the local level to stop stonewalling us in violation of the clearly stated intent of the General Assembly. I know some of may not be registered Democrats but if we've got the numbers of Democrats on our side like we do with HB 500 then why not use that in our favor?

UnfetteredMight

I salute all of you who are on the front lines in your communities working to change your ordinances. I would like to get an OC group going in Louisville so we can start working with our Metro Council to bring our city into compliance with state law.

Considering HB 500 was passed with overwhelming Democrat support, it might be helpful to do some name dropping when you speak to your local officials who may also be Democrats. It is easy enough to pull up the cosponsor list and the vote tallies to show them the shear numbers of their fellow Democrats (particularly those in leadership positions in the House and the Senate's minority caucus) who cosponsored and/or voted for the bill. Only a handful of Democrats voted against it. Use their party affiliati

on against them. And if the Democrat council members or mayors you are talking to still won't budge then find out who the House Rep and/or Senator for that area is. If they too are Democrat why not call them or send them a note explaining that some of their fellow Democrats are dragging their feet bringing their local ordinances intocompliance with a state law that they were instrumental in getting through the General Assembly.

These guys at the local and state levels at some point or another will get together at fundraisers and other Democrat Party functions. I guarantee if enough pressure is put on the legislators, they'll put the pressure on their fellow party members at the local level to stop stonewalling us in violation of the clearly stated intent of the General Assembly. I know some of may not be registered Democrats but if we've got the numbers of Democrats on our side like we do with HB 500 then why not use that in our favor?

Thanks to HB 500, coercion by their peers is no longer necessary. They can read or they would not have made it to their position. They will comply, or they will pay the price.

Last edited:

09jisaac

Thanks to HB 500, coercion by their peers is no longer necessary. They can read or they would not have made it to their position. They will comply, or they will pay the price.

Yes. We are now armed to the teeth, and I am not talking about firearms. Our preemption law is pretty solid. There never was any "wiggle room" but with the teeth we have the necessary power to keep our government in their bounds.

Cottonbaler

Yes. We are now armed to the teeth, and I am not talking about firearms. Our preemption law is pretty solid. There never was any "wiggle room" but with the teeth we have the necessary power to keep our government in their bounds.

I agree. I was suggesting that after initial contact with local councilmen/mayors they want to stonewall then my suggestion of "Democrat peer pressure" might be an something to try before filing a lawsuit.

Hey if it works, why not? And if it doesn't, well file the lawsuit and...sink our new "teeth" into them (figuratively speaking of course).

By the way, http://www.handgunlaw.us/ has updated their Kentucky PDF.

New Mexico no longer honors KY CCW permits, the 65.870 Preemption section law has been updated with the new language from HB 500 and the recent KY SC ruling on firearm storage in vehicles on college campuses has been added.

This PDF is a valuable resource with clickable links back to the referenced statutes.

Last edited:

Zlatko Skuljan

Tie Breaker park

Hopkinsville, KY:

http://hoptownrec.com/tie-breaker-park/family-aquatic-center/general-information

This is a city water park. Take note of:

"No weapons of any kind, even with permit, are not permitted at park."

I just made a call to the parks department. They should be fixing the website removing the weapon ban. I am not sure if there is a sign at the park or not, but let me know if there is i will work to have it taken down. I have informed the city of krs 65.870 and they have taken down a handful of signs but there are still more that must be taken down.

Zlatko Skuljan

check the website now

I made one phone call and the web site no longer has the no weapons rule. if you see anymore signs around town let me know they seem to move quick when i call.

Zlatko Skuljan

tie breaker park illegal gun ban

Does that mean it is part of Hopkinsville though? I am not saying it is not but I am saying that just because it is on their website doesn't mean it is. It might just be a big tourist spot that the city wants to promote to gain tourist money. I am not trying to be difficult, just to make sure.

I made a phone call today and the website no longer has a weapon ban i took care of that. the city is well aware of the law and when i call them sometimes they protest then ask for my info normaly after giving it to them i find out they take down the signs quickly.

self preservation

Here is the email I just sent to the Owingsville mayor about the sign that is displayed at the PD. I will share his response as soon as I get it. If you recall he wanted to post "No Firearms Allowed" signs on city property and inside city buildings. He agreed not to do so but one sign remains..............lets see how it goes..

Gary,

I wanted to thank you again for taking the time to check on the state laws concerning the open carry of firearms on city property, inside of city buildings and the proper signage in regards to firearms that can and can not be posted. I do not know if you are aware or not but one of these signs that bans the open carry of a firearm is still visibly displayed inside of the police department. I'm not sure if Chief Tout doesn't know the sign displayed is improper or simply hasn't thought to take it down yet. I just wanted to bring this to your attention.

self preservation

Here is the email I received back from the Owingsville mayor in regards to the "no guns allowed" sign that was still posted in the PD. I have to give this mayor a couple of thumbs up for not fighting this tooth and nail and actually following the law and doing whats right.

I will see that it's removed this afternoon. I believe I mentioned it to Todd (police chief) but things have been very hectic around here. Thanks for letting me know the sign is still up. It's refreshing to see people who go about things in the proper way when they believe in and support a cause.

self preservation

I thank you for fighting for our rights. If you need any help (I don't think you will) just message me.

I would like to thank all of you for fighting the good fight. Honestly, mine wasnt much of a "fight" (and I'm glad it wasnt) but more of an educational endevor. I'm just glad I actually had good success with it. I just joined this forum in April of this year but have learned so much from the other forum users. I still have a lot to learn and I'm sure that I'm still asking stupid questions from time to time that makes most of you think "what a dumb a$$", but I love the great knowledge that is shared on here and I would love to one day think of myself as a gun rights advocate. Thanks for the offer of help and I may very well call upon you should I find myself up against a situation that I dont feel adequately prepared to handle on my own.

UnfetteredMight

I would like to thank all of you for fighting the good fight. Honestly, mine wasnt much of a "fight" (and I'm glad it wasnt) but more of an educational endevor. I'm just glad I actually had good success with it. I just joined this forum in April of this year but have learned so much from the other forum users. I still have a lot to learn and I'm sure that I'm still asking stupid questions from time to time that makes most of you think "what a dumb a$$", but I love the great knowledge thatis shared on here and I would love to one day think of myself as a gun rights advocate. Thanks for the offer of help and I may very well call upon you should I find myself up against a situation that I dont feel adequately prepared to handle on my own.

I don't think anyone's stupid for asking legitimate questions and after the gun law thread was stickied, I've not really seen posters with the same questions over and over again, with an exception or two. Also you should already consider yourself an advocate, the moment you do more than just carry, you've earned the title. Its achieving a title like "Grand Advocator", such as gutshot has, that's the real bar to go by lol.

hotrod

Florence Ky violation in a city park

City of Florence/Boone County
[h=2]Skate Park Rules[/h]
  • Skate at your own risk
  • Facility is not supervised
  • Skating permitted during park hours only – Dawn to dusk
  • Parental supervision is encouraged for children under 12 years of age
  • Users are strongly encouraged to wear protective equipment (helmets & pads)
  • NO smoking, eating, or drinking on the skate areas
  • NO alcohol or drugs permitted on the premises
  • NO glass bottles permitted
  • NO weapons, fighting, or reckless behavior
  • NO soliciting or unauthorized sales on the premises
  • Improper conduct may result in suspension of skatepark privileges, expulsion from the skatepark, or criminal prosecution!
  • Damage, graffiti, or vandalism may result in temporary closure of the park
  • PLEASE use trash receptacles!
  • For emergencies, call 911
  • KRS KY 411.190; KY State Recreational Users Statute Applies

Found the above while looking at park regulations for Florence, KY. Guess I will send a letter to the mayor and city council and see what happens.