• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member, Short introduction

joe4

I have been lurking on here for about a month now, and I figured it's time I sign up and introduce myself. I live on the western side of our great state, and have just recently started to open carry. I have been reading many of the threads on here, and they have given me the information I need to know my rights, know Colorado's laws for carrying, and have given me the confidence to start carrying. I look forward to being a part of the discussions on this forum and being a part of Colorado's open carry community. So far I have yet to come across anyone else in the Grand Junction area that is open carrying. Any of you live over on the western side?

Keens

Welcome to the forum! There's a bunch of great folks on here and a plethora of information! It's not very common to come across a fellow OC citizen, I've only seen 2 in the last few years other than those at the meet and greets, but they are out there. A lot of people in general just don't know it's legal here in CO to open carry, and I chat with folks all the time about it and they are usually surprised and interested! There's a few fellow OC'ers from western CO, maybe they will chime in? I will be in the Grand Junction area in August and maybe we can meet up for coffee or lunch.

F350

Welcome from a recent transplant to the Western Slope, Grand Valley. I too have learned a bunch from the great folks here and now that warm weather is here have been OCing with no problems.

I see them "easterners" have frequent get togethers; perhaps us "westerners" aught ta see if anyone is interested in a gathering.

Last edited:

joe4

So far I have not had any problems either. I did go into city market one night around 10 p.m. to get some groceries, and the cashier monitoring the the self check out kept looking at me nervously. The security guard was watching me closely and talking with the cashier, but neither of them said anything. I had a guy in a gas station ask me if I was a LEO or security, when I told him no, he asked if I had a permit to carry the gun. I replied "No sir, in the state of Colorado, no permit is required to openly carry a handgun. I am just a normal law abiding citizen exercising my right to bear arms under the 2nd amendant of the constitution, and in accordance with Colorado state law." Turns out he had a CHP and was carrying. He was just curious about why I carried. Led to a discussion about carrying and we exchanged numbers.

A meet up would be great with other "westerners". I'm not sure when I'll have the time though. I currently work 2 jobs, free time is hard to come by. I'm sure we can make it happen at some point though.

Keens, let us know when you are headed this way. Would be great to meet some of the eastern slope guys.

Thanks for the welcome!

M-Taliesin

Keens, let us know when you are headed this way. Would be great to meet some of the eastern slope guys.

Thanks for the welcome!

Howdy!
Welcome to the forum, as an active member... lol... and be forewarned!
I've been exchanging posts with F350 and mentioned to him I may be headed to the western slope either today or next Saturday, depending on events as they unfold around noon today.

Likely as not, it will be next Satruday, because we haven't actually planned a specific time/place to meet up! If it works out, I might prevail upon Keens to join up with me for the ride out there. Why... this could easily evolve into a fairly decent little meet and greet... sorta impromptu, but nifty nevertheless.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

I am getting married on Aug. 25 and we will be spending the whole week traveling all over CO for our honeymoon. She wants to go to Dinosaur Monument and we will also stop in Grand Junction to visit my aunt for a few hours. While we haven't set all the details for our honeymoon yet, we will probably be there on Aug 26th or 27th and camp for the night before heading elsewhere. I will have to start a thread for a meet and greet when the time comes around since it's not going be for a while.

Last edited:

F350

I am getting married on Aug. 25 and we will be spending the whole week traveling all over CO for our honeymoon. She wants to go to Dinosaur Monument and we will also stop in Grand Junction to visit my aunt for a few hours. While we haven't set all the details for our honeymoon yet, we will probably be there on Aug 26th or 27th and camp for the night before heading elsewhere. I will have to start a thread for a meet and greet when the time comes around since it's not going be for a while.

What type of camping (tent, camper) we have the worlds largest flat top mountain here in Grand Junction area, it's National Forest so camping is allowed just about anywhere, hundreds of mountain lakes full of trout. As time get closer give me a holler if you are interested and I can direct to a couple of the sweetest little lakes with a some GREAT camp sites.

Keens

What type of camping (tent, camper) we have the worlds largest flat top mountain here in Grand Junction area, it's National Forest so camping is allowed just about anywhere, hundreds of mountain lakes full of trout. As time get closer give me a holler if you are interested and I can direct to a couple of the sweetest little lakes with a some GREAT camp sites.

We are going to tent camp. I've never camped in that area, and any info on sweet camping spots would be appreciated!

since9

Campaign Veteran
I replied "No sir, in the state of Colorado, no permit is required to openly carry a handgun. I am just a normal law abiding citizen exercising my right to bear arms under the 2nd amendant of the constitution, and in accordance with Colorado state law."

That's about the clearest, most succinct, and most accurate response I've heard yet!

Welcome to the forum!