Thread: Why you Don't Use a Kydex Paddle Holster

Why you Don't Use a Kydex Paddle Holster

This was on one of my post replies. Just a thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKt...layer_embedded

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	8229  

Didn't see it on a search, deal w/it
    Last edited by Rollbar; 03-29-2012 at 11:53 AM.

I just wanted to use that picture.

On topic - I've never seen anyone have that issue with a paddle holster in real life. I have 2 Serpas and exclusively use the paddle, and even knowing the "trick" to getting them off (reaching into my waistband to pull the bottom paddle hook free of my pants), it's still hard. There's no possible way someone could yank my Serpa off my belt like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post
    I just wanted to use that picture.

On topic - I've never seen anyone have that issue with a paddle holster in real life. I have 2 Serpas and exclusively use the paddle, and even knowing the "trick" to getting them off (reaching into my waistband to pull the bottom paddle hook free of my pants), it's still hard. There's no possible way someone could yank my Serpa off my belt like that.
    +1

I've been using my paddle holster almost exclusively and I can't even get it off my pants. It's not exactly easy...
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism." - George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

Looks like the guy who breaks has to force or pretty roughly and the guy with the paddle hardly resists at all. Doesn't like an accurate example/demo.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Looking for training by experienced staff?
    We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
    http://www.shecanshoot.com/
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Weird. When I bought my Level 2 Serpa, I had my friend try to get it off all sorts of different ways. Never once got it fully removed from my belt.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

That video is as old as the hills

First of all, it's a Fobus, which is a range holster, not a retention carry holster.

Second of all, it broke, as opposed to slipping out of the waistband. Meaning the paddle has nothing to do with it. It could be just as poorly made with a belt slide.

Third of all, Fobus has since redesigned that holster.

That guy doesn't want comments on his video because he knows that the first commenter is going to point out how ridiculous it is to associate ALL kydex paddle holsters with that particular holster's well-known failure.

Go ahead and try this with my Serpa. See what happens. Or, if you like breathing, try it with your own. Good luck getting it to break.
    Last edited by marshaul; 03-29-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Go ahead and try this with my Serpa. See what happens. Or, if you like breathing, try it with your own. Good luck getting it to break.

+1. Let me know how my Spyderco feels in your hand after reaching for my Glock.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Ok some testing was done by the Reno 4x4 group and here are their findings.

That was good to know, I hadn't seen this video, or the response video. When I saw the OP's video, I began questioning my holster. Then, when I saw the response video, I was shocked to see the first one break again! Then, when they did the second holster, all doubts were erased, since I use an Uncle Mikes Law Enforcement "cheap" holster! I have a Lone Star shoulder holster being made now, so I won't have to rely solely on the Kydex holster. But, I am relieved that the UMLE kydex holster stood up to that test.
    Be safe, be prepared, and carry on!

Alle Ihre Basisstation jetzt zu uns gehören

I was just looking into the fobus holsters too! Oh well, better safe than sorry. Thank goodness my safariland paddle is built a bit better than that.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six..."

[ Kyd: "I think I'm gonna have "13 1/2" tattooed on my shoulder..."

Me: "Why the hell would you do that?"

Kyd: "Thats one judge, 12 jurors, and a half a chance I'm gonna get off..." ]

Situational awareness and weapons retention are also part of protecting your gun and holster from unauthorised and forceful actions.

I have a Fobus paddle, I haven't been OC'in much lately but when I have that's what I use. I got my license recently and have been carrying concealed more than anything.

I think if I start OC'in more I'll have to get a Serpa. But it won't stop me from OC'in when I go fishing tomorrow night.