• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why you Don't Use a Kydex Paddle Holster

4angrybadgers

2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg

Attachments

• 2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg
    2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 170

Rollbar

Didn't see it on a search, deal w/it :shocker::lol:

Last edited:

4angrybadgers

I just wanted to use that picture. :)

On topic - I've never seen anyone have that issue with a paddle holster in real life. I have 2 Serpas and exclusively use the paddle, and even knowing the "trick" to getting them off (reaching into my waistband to pull the bottom paddle hook free of my pants), it's still hard. There's no possible way someone could yank my Serpa off my belt like that.

Stanley

I just wanted to use that picture. :)

On topic - I've never seen anyone have that issue with a paddle holster in real life. I have 2 Serpas and exclusively use the paddle, and even knowing the "trick" to getting them off (reaching into my waistband to pull the bottom paddle hook free of my pants), it's still hard. There's no possible way someone could yank my Serpa off my belt like that.

+1

I've been using my paddle holster almost exclusively and I can't even get it off my pants. It's not exactly easy...

Steeler-gal

Looks like the guy who breaks has to force or pretty roughly and the guy with the paddle hardly resists at all. Doesn't like an accurate example/demo.

==========================================
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Looking for training by experienced staff?
We are the largest all female only firearms group on the East Coast offering firearms training courses and services provided by our experienced and certified female instructors.
http://www.shecanshoot.com/

MainelyGlock

Weird. When I bought my Level 2 Serpa, I had my friend try to get it off all sorts of different ways. Never once got it fully removed from my belt.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
That video is as old as the hills

First of all, it's a Fobus, which is a range holster, not a retention carry holster.

Second of all, it broke, as opposed to slipping out of the waistband. Meaning the paddle has nothing to do with it. It could be just as poorly made with a belt slide.

Third of all, Fobus has since redesigned that holster.

That guy doesn't want comments on his video because he knows that the first commenter is going to point out how ridiculous it is to associate ALL kydex paddle holsters with that particular holster's well-known failure.

Go ahead and try this with my Serpa. See what happens. Or, if you like breathing, try it with your own. Good luck getting it to break.

Last edited:

Rollbar

Ok some testing was done by the Reno 4x4 group and here are their findings.

[video=youtube;q100zaPtoBY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q100zaPtoBY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

WOD

That was good to know, I hadn't seen this video, or the response video. When I saw the OP's video, I began questioning my holster. Then, when I saw the response video, I was shocked to see the first one break again! Then, when they did the second holster, all doubts were erased, since I use an Uncle Mikes Law Enforcement "cheap" holster! I have a Lone Star shoulder holster being made now, so I won't have to rely solely on the Kydex holster. But, I am relieved that the UMLE kydex holster stood up to that test.

J_Oliver

I was just looking into the fobus holsters too! Oh well, better safe than sorry. Thank goodness my safariland paddle is built a bit better than that.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

JB248

I have a Fobus paddle, I haven't been OC'in much lately but when I have that's what I use. I got my license recently and have been carrying concealed more than anything.

I think if I start OC'in more I'll have to get a Serpa. But it won't stop me from OC'in when I go fishing tomorrow night.