Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hospitals, colleges, schools and other groups are lining up to oppose SB59

Hospitals, colleges, schools and other groups are lining up to oppose SB59

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/..._river_default

snip-

The matter is not expected to be taken up by the full Senate until after the two-week break that begins Friday.

Representatives for public schools and hospitals say they will be ready.

“We knew this had been out there for about a year and then, ‘Boom!’” said Donald Wotruba, deputy director at Michigan Association of School Boards.

“We’ll alert out school board members across the state to call their lawmakers to oppose it.”
    Last edited by detroit_fan; 03-29-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Let's not forget select people from OCDO -- so-called 2A activists -- will be joining them
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

so now the bill won't be heard today? why would they do that and let all these people have 2 weeks to lobby against it before voting?

MHA shut them down. Leadership didn't want to risk bringing up the bill and having MHA attach to it. So they postponed it 2 weeks to let the leaders re-"whip" the caucus.

The opposition would have heard about it before it passed the house anyhow
    Last edited by TheQ; 03-29-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Interesting comments for the article.

Im at the point now in my Civil Rights "career" that I am no longer surprised by the hopolphobes and anits out there. However, it still amazes me that lawmakers are basing their decisions on personal feelings and emotion, rather than laws and facts. We are in the same situation here in Iowa with the attempt at a SYG law. Our house majority leaders are using terms like "wild, wild, west", "blood in the streets", and "vigilante."

I understand how humans work. Emotion is a tough feeling to overcome, but when these pirates get into office, they should base decisions on facts, not tears.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    MHA shut them down. Leadership didn't want to risk bringing up the bill and having MHA attach to it. So they postponed it 2 weeks to let the leaders re-"whip" the caucus.

The opposition would have heard about it before it passed the house anyhow
    this is very disappointing.

Let's not forget select people from OCDO -- so-called 2A activists -- will be joining them
    Only Michigander has had the stones to let his stance be known.

Quote Originally Posted by WilDChilD View Post
    Only Michigander has had the stones to let his stance be known.
    I a couple others spoke up.
    Last edited by TheQ; 03-29-2012 at 02:49 PM.

I a couple others spoke up.
    Must have missed em. The forums have been on fire this week.

Quote Originally Posted by WilDChilD View Post
    Must have missed em. The forums have been on fire this week.
    Go read the other thread again. I think the bill's detractors will be evident.

Banned
    There goes that one.

Well, a few more school shootings and maybe then they will get it.

Banned
    We need to get everyone in the state with a CPL to OC at the schools and hospitals for whatever reason they can dream up over the next 2 weeks.

Banned
    We are outnumbered and outgunned here. Our voices are going to be drowned out by the cries of the pathetic little sheep. Emotion always beats facts and common sense. As far as Im concerned, this battle is over.

Oh ye of little faith.

Banned
    Lawmakers are known for passing laws out of emotion rather than facts and common sense. The schools are probably the main reason that we still have PFZs nobody wants to touch it.

If it passes, it will likely be without the schools being protected.

Maybe I missed something here. If as they say "through a loophole in the law open carry is legal in these areas" why would they not prefer people to conceal carry? which I'm sure a majority of people would do, thus ensuring that they have received additional training to do so.

I know they would "Prefer" to eliminate guns entirely. But is seems the rational and logical conclusion would be to endorse a bill that would stipulate more training for an activity a majority of people would rather do discretely but is already being done openly without it.

*shrugs*

Hevy

Banned
    guns=bad

Thats their argument. Any further thought would lead to, common sense. People being armed with the same weapons as the people who would bring them harm.

This is when we need to unite and fight the hardest.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    This is when we need to unite and fight the hardest.
    +1

I continue to enjoy your posts and am glad you are with us.

Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetal View Post
    Maybe I missed something here. If as they say "through a loophole in the law open carry is legal in these areas" why would they not prefer people to conceal carry? which I'm sure a majority of people would do, thus ensuring that they have received additional training to do so.

I know they would "Prefer" to eliminate guns entirely. But is seems the rational and logical conclusion would be to endorse a bill that would stipulate more training for an activity a majority of people would rather do discretely but is already being done openly without it.

*shrugs*

Hevy
    What additional training are you speaking of? People who are legally allowed to OC in hospitals and schools must have a CPL to do so.
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield Smitty View Post
    What additional training are you speaking of? People who are legally allowed to OC in hospitals and schools must have a CPL to do so.
    I was talking about the the option to conceal carry with the additional 9 hrs and 90 rounds

The legislation, to be outlined Thursday at a Senate Committee, includes a score of changes. Among them:

• Allow concealed pistols in so-called “gun-free” zones -- such as churches, schools and sports stadiums -- for those who receive extra training.

Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetal View Post
    I was talking about the the option to conceal carry with the additional 9 hrs and 90 rounds

The legislation, to be outlined Thursday at a Senate Committee, includes a score of changes. Among them:

• Allow concealed pistols in so-called “gun-free” zones -- such as churches, schools and sports stadiums -- for those who receive extra training.
    Gotcha. Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I am aware of that proposal. I don't know why I didn't pick up on that.
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    We need to get everyone in the state with a CPL to OC at the schools and hospitals for whatever reason they can dream up over the next 2 weeks.
    Not sure how this works as the hospital in Monroe is posted no weapons. Pretty sure the signs trumps the law but I could be wrong.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    Not sure how this works as the hospital in Monroe is posted no weapons. Pretty sure the signs trumps the law but I could be wrong.
    On private property, you are correct.

Banned
    Im not suggesting that anyone break the law.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast