• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hospitals, colleges, schools and other groups are lining up to oppose SB59

detroit_fan

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/03/opponents_to_concealed_guns_in.html#incart_river_default

snip-

The matter is not expected to be taken up by the full Senate until after the two-week break that begins Friday.

Representatives for public schools and hospitals say they will be ready.

“We knew this had been out there for about a year and then, ‘Boom!’” said Donald Wotruba, deputy director at Michigan Association of School Boards.

“We’ll alert out school board members across the state to call their lawmakers to oppose it.”

Last edited:

TheQ

MHA shut them down. Leadership didn't want to risk bringing up the bill and having MHA attach to it. So they postponed it 2 weeks to let the leaders re-"whip" the caucus.

The opposition would have heard about it before it passed the house anyhow :(

Last edited:

Tucker6900

Interesting comments for the article.

Im at the point now in my Civil Rights "career" that I am no longer surprised by the hopolphobes and anits out there. However, it still amazes me that lawmakers are basing their decisions on personal feelings and emotion, rather than laws and facts. We are in the same situation here in Iowa with the attempt at a SYG law. Our house majority leaders are using terms like "wild, wild, west", "blood in the streets", and "vigilante."

I understand how humans work. Emotion is a tough feeling to overcome, but when these pirates get into office, they should base decisions on facts, not tears.

detroit_fan

MHA shut them down. Leadership didn't want to risk bringing up the bill and having MHA attach to it. So they postponed it 2 weeks to let the leaders re-"whip" the caucus.

The opposition would have heard about it before it passed the house anyhow :(

this is very disappointing.

stainless1911

Banned
Lawmakers are known for passing laws out of emotion rather than facts and common sense. The schools are probably the main reason that we still have PFZs nobody wants to touch it.

If it passes, it will likely be without the schools being protected.

Hevymetal

Maybe I missed something here. If as they say "through a loophole in the law open carry is legal in these areas" why would they not prefer people to conceal carry? which I'm sure a majority of people would do, thus ensuring that they have received additional training to do so.

I know they would "Prefer" to eliminate guns entirely. But is seems the rational and logical conclusion would be to endorse a bill that would stipulate more training for an activity a majority of people would rather do discretely but is already being done openly without it.

*shrugs*

Hevy

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
Maybe I missed something here. If as they say "through a loophole in the law open carry is legal in these areas" why would they not prefer people to conceal carry? which I'm sure a majority of people would do, thus ensuring that they have received additional training to do so.

I know they would "Prefer" to eliminate guns entirely. But is seems the rational and logical conclusion would be to endorse a bill that would stipulate more training for an activity a majority of people would rather do discretely but is already being done openly without it.

*shrugs*

Hevy

What additional training are you speaking of? People who are legally allowed to OC in hospitals and schools must have a CPL to do so.