• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vandalia LEO Encounter

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
The wait is over......
This is the link to the video. I have posted the video exactly as it was given to me by the city. I did not edit the sound out at the beginning, they did.

http://youtu.be/sWoVrkSpE58
Not only is the sound missing, but so is the beginning of the encounter. You need the WHOLE encounter, sound included. Also, the officers talk to each other at the end of the encounter - that would be good to have also.

And with a CCW you have to conceal, eh? (~ 1:15)

Is that your radio running? If it isn't, then it seems like an attempt to distort/conceal the entire conversation.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The wait is over......
This is the link to the video. I have posted the video exactly as it was given to me by the city. I did not edit the sound out at the beginning, they did.

http://youtu.be/sWoVrkSpE58

Appreciate the link. Am sorry that you consented to giving your ID, but also understand the choice. Hope that you will follow through with a formal complaint.

Also suspect that the deletion of the early part of the audio was a CYA move on their part - doubt that such editing meets the criteria of your request.

ncwabbit

not being technically adept, but could the missing sound at the beginning have resulted from 'someone' adding the k99.1 country music sound track...sorry you had to endure that encounter...sigh!

wabbit

ps: again not being technically adept, but wonder if a check w/the station to validate times those titles were broadcast would match the times on the video?

Last edited:

Deanimator

This is a waste of time. Asking the police to police themselves is like the fox guarding the hen house. This only works in the rarest of cases. I have been through this, I have learned how to get their attention quickly and once you get their attention you will see their true colors.
I couldn't agree more.

Police who do these things and their supervision which permits it couldn't care less about the law OR any citizen's rights.

These things require serious negative reinforcement. This comes ONLY through formal complaints, civil litigation, public humiliation or in some cases, all three. That's what it took in the Harless incident.

Those cops don't deserve to be cut one iota of slack. They, their department and the city must be caused as much pain and suffering, administratively and civilly as possible.

Only THEN will they figure out that they HAVE to pull their heads out of their behinds.

Ohio

I would get a good attorney and sue Vandalia. Hit them in the wallet.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...but could the missing sound at the beginning have resulted from 'someone' adding the k99.1 country music sound track...
In the Canton incident, I believe that someone was able to seperate the audio "tracks" or sources in order to produce clean audio from the officer's microphone.

p.s. a untrusting person might think that the radio (and what is a police car doing with an AM/FM radio anyway?) was intentionally left on so as to render the audio portion of the encounter virtually unusable.

bhclark

I have no experience here, but is it possible to put in a second request for the ENTIRE encounter, specifically requesting that all audio be present?

Also, I really like how at the 7:20 mark he outright admits to "harassing" you.

Earlier, he also states that he would shoot you first if you were anywhere near a robbery.

Nice.

RCall

Update

I have no experience here, but is it possible to put in a second request for the ENTIRE encounter, specifically requesting that all audio be present?

Also, I really like how at the 7:20 mark he outright admits to "harassing" you.

Nice.

I am going to request the WHOLE video just like I did the first time. It will be a couple weeks before I get it.

I am also in the process (with help) of laying the foundation to make sure that this city doesn't do this again to not just me but to anybody else. How far this travels is really up to them. Who knows how many times this officer has done this before and the victim didn't know they were a victim.

Also to answer BB62's question that is not my radio playing.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I am going to request the WHOLE video just like I did the first time. It will be a couple weeks before I get it...
Did the officer go back to his cruiser to start the dash cam? (I don't know if they can remotely do so).

If not, a suggestion - just ask them for the video/audio of his entire shift just so they don't play games with fulfilling your original request - AND so you get the conversation at the end of the stop (where the officers spoke to one another while in their cars).

...I am also in the process (with help) of laying the foundation to make sure that this city doesn't do this again to not just me but to anybody else. How far this travels is really up to them. Who knows how many times this officer has done this before and the victim didn't know they were a victim...
Excellent! :lol::lol:

...Also to answer BB62's question that is not my radio playing.
As I suspected. Thanks.

JoeSparky

Centurion
With my experience on a "ride along" or two the recording system can be remotely started by the officer and has two microphones---- one on the officer and one inside the patrol car. Not unusual for an officer the play the am/fm radio while on patrol.
Of course, this departments "system" may not be the same.

Now, the officer admits on the recording that the only reason the "detention" was made was due to open carry. No suspicion of crime at all---- simply a complete fishing trip! Wonder if the officer even has a "fishing license"?

Last edited:

MKEgal

Infuriating!
Definitely you need to get the beginning of the encounter & their convo @ the end.
Get radio traffic, reports, everything.
I know we have some people here who are experienced & very good at audio/video editing. Maybe one of them could try to remove the loud music which concealed much of the target conversation.

BB62 said:
You need the WHOLE encounter, sound included.
Also, the officers talk to each other at the end of the encounter - that would be good to have also.
Grapeshot said:
Also suspect that the deletion of the early part of the audio was a CYA move on their part - doubt that such editing meets the criteria of your request.

Makarov

My girl friend and I open carried this weekend in Vandellia. We had no issue other than a Vandellia cruiser was following us and observing. He gave up after we went to the range.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My girl friend and I open carried this weekend in Vandellia. We had no issue other than a Vandellia cruiser was following us and observing. He gave up after we went to the range.

Maybe he couldn't stand the competition :lol:

RCall

Maybe he stopped me because i'm a snot nosed 23 year old "kid"

I am also sorry for giving my consent to give him my i.d. That wont happen again.

Also, I would like to add as someone (im thinking a Brady campaigner) has pointed out on youtube, yes at the end of the video I do admit to the officer i have been arrested before. It was when i was a minor, for driving with a suspended license. As soon as I told him I realized I screwed up because I know most juvenile convictions go in the shredder, and im not required to tell them. I know im not the only person who screwed up as a kid. In my adult life i have never been convicted of ANY crime, period. (Not even a speeding ticket.) I just wanted to clarify this so the members of this forum dont think they are standing behind a hardened criminal. I can't say it enough, I am very greatful to the support i have received!!!

With certian stories that pop up from time to time such as the one from Hamilton last month I hit myself in the head because it makes it that much harder for me to feel not looked down upon because of my age.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Maybe he stopped me because i'm a snot nosed 23 year old "kid"

I am also sorry for giving my consent to give him my i.d. That wont happen again.

Also, I would like to add as someone (im thinking a Brady campaigner) has pointed out on youtube, yes at the end of the video I do admit to the officer i have been arrested before. It was when i was a minor, for driving with a suspended license. As soon as I told him I realized I screwed up because I know most juvenile convictions go in the shredder, and im not required to tell them. I know im not the only person who screwed up as a kid. In my adult life i have never been convicted of ANY crime, period. (Not even a speeding ticket.) I just wanted to clarify this so the members of this forum dont think they are standing behind a hardened criminal. I can't say it enough, I am very greatful to the support i have received!!!

With certian stories that pop up from time to time such as the one from Hamilton last month I hit myself in the head because it makes it that much harder for me to feel not looked down upon because of my age.
Live and learn.

I don't ever wish to be a snot nosed 23 year old "kid" again.

GhostOfJefferson

What a crock.

The nerves are what get us, ultimately, in these kinds of things. They use that against us, clearly.

"May I see ID"
"Is that a request or a demand"
"Request/asking"
"Then no"

"Why are you open carrying"
"Officer, am I being detained, and if so, what crime do you suspect I've committed, and why do you suspect I committed it?"

"Officer am I free to go?"

"Why/what/where/when?!?" (officer's questions)

*silence*

"Officer am I free to go or am I being detained"

Unfortunately, as noted, nerves get the best of us sometimes. It would be nice to have a Citizen's School where these kinds of encounters could be drilled, with some level of pressure/stress introduced, to get us over the psychological nervousness that these kinds of encounters induce.

I'm with the others, sue the living crap out of everybody and everything that can be dragged into court, that has even a fleeting relation to this incident. This cop needs to learn a very hard and fast lesson, and so do his superiors.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Maybe he stopped me because i'm a snot nosed 23 year old "kid"...

With certain stories that pop up from time to time such as the one from Hamilton last month I hit myself in the head because it makes it that much harder for me to feel not looked down upon because of my age.
Don't beat yourself up, and whether it's your age or not (and it's not), your reactions are natural because of inexperience, not age.

My first OC stop, which was at gunpoint, took place when I was over 40. I was reported as a "juvenile with a gun".