Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [OT] Questions about the Seattle area

[OT] Questions about the Seattle area

Wife and I are seriously considering moving to the North-of-Seattle area (thinking Mukilteo or Everett) in 2013. While I have a couple friends there, and my sister and her family are moving at the same time, I've heard the Seattle Freeze isn't a myth. Can anyone corroborate?

Also, is it illegal to carry a fixed-blade knife in Washington?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Wife and I are seriously considering moving to the North-of-Seattle area (thinking Mukilteo or Everett) in 2013. While I have a couple friends there, and my sister and her family are moving at the same time, I've heard the Seattle Freeze isn't a myth. Can anyone corroborate?

"Freeze?" Our winters are fairly mild up here.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    "Freeze?" Our winters are fairly mild up here.
    I agree:

http://www.google.com/search?q=seatt...w=1008&bih=677
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Have you ever lived in NY or California?
    Live Free or Die!

Okay, the misunderstanding is a little encouraging.

What has been called the "Seattle Freeze" to me is the social tendency of residents of Seattle to be unwelcoming of newcomers. People have told me that they went six months or more without making any real friends after moving to the Seattle area, in marked contrast with other places they've lived, such as various cities in Texas and Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Have you ever lived in NY or California?
    Actually, I grew up in upstate New York and the Bay Area. What has this to do with the topic at hand?

Actually, I grew up in upstate New York and the Bay Area. What has this to do with the topic at hand?
    Washington has met our quota of NY and CA personnel. Sorry but you will not be allowed to move here.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Washington has met our quota of NY and CA personnel. Sorry but you will not be allowed to move here.
    And Coloradans are tired of Texans, and Texans are tired of Oklahomans, and Mississippisspiipiipissipsisispispispipsispispisia ns are tired of Alabamans, and New Mexicans are tired of Old Mexicans, and on and on.

So I'm considering moving to Seattle. Anyone know anything about this "Seattle Freeze"? What about carrying fixed-blade knives?

Fixed blade in Seattle you are stuck to 3.5" or shorter.

As far as the Seattle Freeze I have never heard of it. I think it's going to depend on where you move and how social YOU are. Seattle is a very social place, but there is no welcoming party.
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Seattle Chill Seattle Freeze

The likelihood of someone greeting you to the hood with a pie and gift are slim to none.

Sent by Droid

Lots of hippies.. If you have weed, you'll find friends....

There is NO 'southern hospitality', but once you get outside the major areas, you'll find that the people get more genuine, and are willing to help each other out....

Seattle is a younger,hipper (read:liberal) city, that I would equate to Austin.....
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

This is a high military area. They are used to strangers. Beware of the drivers here, though. They are worse than anywhere else. To make matters worse they are so completely oblivious to it.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    Beware of the drivers here, though. They are worse than anywhere else. To make matters worse they are so completely oblivious to it.
    O M F G. You're not kidding.

Asian women drivers........ Be prepared....

In addition, you'd think that having wet roads for 8 months of the year would mean people could drive in it, right? God no..... and heaven help you if it snows...... flurries=2 hour delay. Any accumulation = closed schools... followed be 25 y/o soccer moms wrecking on the highway because they think that their SUV (even if it's just 2WD) means they can still drive like an idiot, even with inclement weather...
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

First off, Everett and Mukilteo are two VERY different things. Mukilteo is fairly upscale and almost entirely residential. Everett, just a few miles north, has a lot of seedy areas that I wouldn't recommend even driving through, much less living in. I live in Edmonds, just south of Mukilteo. Edmonds is very similar to Muk. I'd recommend either.

As far as "The Freeze" goes, yes it exists. I've had numerous folks that have moved here tell me that they've experienced it. Most Seattleites are at least superficially nice. The Freeze usually refers to the difficulty of getting close to anyone. Hippies? I haven't seen any around here in 20 years or so.

If you have any more specific questions about south Snohomish county, feel free to PM me.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    A few of the locals are like that but you get that anywhere, I was born in Seattle. Many of people now living there don't have roots that go back very far. So some are resistant to the lifestyle change that many of the outsiders have brought with them. You won't have a problem just ignore the dicks.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Last edited by amlevin; 03-31-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Rep;laced by more complete post
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by massivedesign View Post
    Fixed blade in Seattle you are stuck to 3.5" or shorter.
    Knife carry laws are pretty much local and can vary.

Seattke Muni Code states:

"C. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having
    a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.

D. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a
    blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the
    handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife,
    hatchet, axe, straight-edged razor, or razor blade not in a package,
    dispenser or shaving appliance."

(I guess that makes my 7.5" Ka Bar a no-no on both counts while strolling the streets of Seattle)

Knife laws are not subject to the same preemption as firearms here in WA so the result is a whole mess of local laws. Be Careful!

BTW, if using the affirmative defense of "I'm Hunting", the Seattle Code does allow that exemption but it also uses the word "immediately" so you better have a license and a "tag" for what your hunting. Not too much "legal game" in Seattle but there is a lot of "thinning of the herd" that should be done.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I can relate

I moved back to Seattle about 3 months ago, and yes it is difficult to find people to hang out with on a regular basis. We do have regular open carry meets and many of us on here are willing to organize local get together, but I grew up here and i have found it incredibly tough to have regular hangouts even with people I knew growing up. And I'll be going to Dallas in a couple of weeks :-) :-) any recommended ranges or hangout spots? And i recommend you avoid everett like the plauge if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post
    Lots of hippies.. If you have weed, you'll find friends .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Edmonds View Post
    Hippies? I haven't seen any around here in 20 years or so.
    I think TechnoWeenie refers here to what I prefer to call the "sunshine and rainbow" people... The ones that think that EVERYTHING in this world can be resolve by sitting down and try to talk and understand better our fellow citizens ... Even though that sounds good in paper, we know that unfortunately it does not work like that every time... Sorry, I don't have the time sit-down and try to figure out why people act the way they act...

I'm working on a book of knife laws across the state......

Knife Laws in Washington
    RCW 9.41.250 -Dangerous Weapons
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250
    (1) Every person who:
    (a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;
    (b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or
    (c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm (July 2011 law changed for suppressors)
    is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

RCW 9.41.270 - Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.270

All Washington City Codes:
    http://www.mrsc.org/Codes.aspx

State/City - Law Chapter - Legal Yes/No Folder Length - Wording edited to fit.

Washington - 9.41.250 9.41.270 - Yes None - See State Law. No Blade Length defined in WA Law.

Bainbridge Island - 9.10.040 Y < 3" - Carry any knife, sword, dagger or other cutting or stabbing instrument, with a blade of a length of three inches or more

Camas - 9.28.065 - Yes 3.5" - knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches in length

Cheny - 9A.07.020 - Yes ? - carry concealed upon his person any knife (other than an ordinary pocket knife)

Edmonds - 5.24.012 - Y <3.5" knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches

Ephrata - 9.22.020 - Y <4" with a blade of a length of four or more inches

Everett - 10.78.010 - Y <3" - Dangerous knife” means any knife having a blade more than three inches in length

Federal Way - 6-138 - Y <3" - knife, sword, dagger or other cutting or stabbing instrument, with a blade of a length of three inches or more

Lake Forest Park - 9.06.020 - Y ? - Weapons prohibited in the municipal courtroom with a blade length of three or longer.

Lynnwood - 10.52.020 - Y <3.5" - knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches

New Castle - 9.05.710 - premises where alcoholic beverages are dispensed a Knife with a blade, of a length of three inches or more

Normandy Park - 7.24.040 - carry or conceal any dagger, dirk, knife or other dangerous weapon

Sultan - 9.32.020 - Y <4" -having a blade longer than the length of four or more inches,

Seattle - 12A.14.010 - Y 3.5" - Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than (3 1/2") in length

Woodinville - 9.03.110 - Weapons prohibited on liquor sale premises any knife with a blade of a length of three inches or more

I kind of know what he means, but I experienced it much more on the Eastside, (Bellevue, Redmond) than I did anywhere else. I do agree with others, that Everett is a bit seedy, but still, nowhere like say.. Cleveland, or Philly, or Chicago.

I do not have any info about knives, but just don't walk around woodcarving anything with a folding blade....
    Be safe, be prepared, and carry on!

Alle Ihre Basisstation jetzt zu uns gehören

On the knife situation...I think if we all would review the laws...OC in a sheath there are no restrictions...CC there are many restrictions, and your CPL does not remove them. Your CPL is strictly and specifically for a handgun, nothing else here...I think it was www.hangunlaw.us that has a chart of knife restrictions for all the states.

I know that a hunting knfe (fixed blade) in a sheath draws no questions for LE out here on the dry side, and I don't remember anything when I lived in Skagit Co either. I've never measured my hunting knife, (skinning blade, doesn't look like a normal knife) but I would bet the sheath is at least 6". Never been asked, but I always carry it openly too.

The laws here on OC are pretty good, (there are very few). Unlicensed OC is just fine, CPL is shall issue, $55.25 for 5 years at your local sheriff's office. Takes about 15 minutes and comes in the mail a few days later. (no more than 30) no special training required but do read the booklet they give you with WA firearm law.

Does it actally freeze and snow in Seattle (wet side) yes, occationally, and because it is occationally, they are not really prepared for it. Winter is cool and damp, summer is warm and dry...very nice climate. The last real Typhoon we had was Columbus day 1962.

As to the social "freeze" I would say that depends more on the person moving here than the people that are already here. "Chechakos all", everyone in WA is from somewhere else in their ancestry, if not personally.
    Last edited by hermannr; 03-30-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    I moved back to Seattle about 3 months ago, and yes it is difficult to find people to hang out with on a regular basis. We do have regular open carry meets and many of us on here are willing to organize local get together, but I grew up here and i have found it incredibly tough to have regular hangouts even with people I knew growing up. And I'll be going to Dallas in a couple of weeks :-) :-) any recommended ranges or hangout spots? And i recommend you avoid everett like the plauge if you can.
    I have a two friends (married couple) who both work for Boeing and live in Everett. They enjoy it *shrug*. I'll be there in July to look around. We're probably going to end up in Mukilteo.

As for ranges, my favorite place is Elm Fork (http://www.elmfork.com). It's a large, outdoor facility with lots of pistol space, 50- and 100-yard rifle ranges, skeet, and "tactical" areas for the Pretend Soldiers. I'm a regular at the 100-yard rifle range. There's also a great indoor place in Northeast Plano called The Bullet Trap. There's a place in Dallas proper called DFW Gun Range that a lot of people seem to like, but I'm personally not a fan of that joint (*COUGHCOUGHTSRACOUGHCOUGH*).

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    The likelihood of someone greeting you to the hood with a pie and gift are slim to none.

Sent by Droid
    In some areas of Seattle the "Welcome Wagon" is a local bunch of punks showing up to "case" your house for future burglaries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast